Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

An Example of how the RNG can be Unfair In Battle Video Format. (Rantish)
So I tried battling in the International Challenge. I won some, I lost a lot, I gained the mentality that ultra beasts and tapus really shouldn't be allowed in OU play. And yet, my first battle I lost largely because of chance.

Code: KFFW-WWWW-WWW5-M9ZD

Warning: Boring 11-turn long battle awaits.

Now, in the very first turn, Hurricane misses. That's fine, I can dig it. 30% chance is understandable.

Then, in the next turn, BAM.
My Oricorio gets frozen.

Now I'm sitting here seething on my couch cursing RNGsus for his misdeeds, then on the VERY NEXT TURN,
A. Ninetales goes ICE, ICE, BABY and freezes my Lilligant just before she faints.

I'm already steamy, but that takes the cake. I'm on the verge of tossing my system on the ground, yeah?

Fast forward to turn five. Minior got its White Herb Shell Smash off. Then my Metagross misses Meteor Mash. I'm pitching a fit over here.
Turn Six, Minior's in Core form, uses +2 Rock Slide, neither of the other side goes down. This is where I decide that Ultra Beasts are just too stronk for comp. Minior faints.
Then Meteor Mash misses.

I'm already a mess. That broke me. Five more turns later, Metagross goes down. I ended up lying down and regretting my life choices for an hour.

tl;dr, RNG is hateful.

and, yeah, i'm in juniors division
(Feb 26, 2017, 11:16 AM)Sylveon Wrote: I gained the mentality that ultra beasts and tapus really shouldn't be allowed in OU play.

@Sylveon do you mind developing that thought a bit? I'm not sure why they shouldn't be allowed in OU since only Pheromosa stands out as potentially broken, and that seems like a very vague statement with few reasoning behind it. Besides, the competition you were playing it wasn't even related to Smogon, so I really have no idea why you think all Tapus and UBs should be Ubers.
I'm just your ordinary competitive newbie who compares vgc to Smogon OU because at their core they have similar principles. I'm also one of those people who have played online in previous games and think that using multiple pseudo-legend tier mons is easy and uncreative and it gets to me when people take that route. Emphasis on "multiple", because I did use Metagross. And, ironically enough, I did have Lele in my battle box, but I didn't use it once.

Like, Koko is fast, hits hard with effort, gets STAB and terrain bonus, has great type coverage, and it's kinda frail, sure, but not much is fast enough to hit it hard enough to take it down.

Lele is just your average hyperoffense special sweeper. It hits hard with STAB and terrain boost Psychic and hits almost as hard with STAB Moonblast/Dazzling Gleam, and it can run Hidden Power Fire to cover Steel-types that seriously hinder its attacking capabilities otherwise. Its main drawback is its quad weakness to poison, which faster Pokémon like Salazzle use to their advantage. It also won't last long with its SpAtk being lowered, like if the opponent uses something with Snarl.

Kartana has insane attack, it can take a physical hit, even Flare Blitz if you put effort into its Defense and maybe give it an Occa berry, it works wonders with Focus Sash, has fair coverage with its movepool, it's fast, and Beast Boost makes it more threatening. Its main drawback is its frail SpDef, but that can be momentarily circumvented with Assault Vest.

I'm too lazy to continue

Anyway, the whole "UB for OU" thing is just me being salty, I don't mean to say that they're all overpowered, and, yeah, I do realize that I'm talking about two different formats for competitive play, but, still, it urks me when people use them willy nilly.

Whatever the case may be, I just made that post to rant and share my misfortune with the hope that the irony of it all would bring joy to others.