Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Breeding problem with TMs, advice please? - SOLVED I think
Huh

I am moderately familiar with breeding and have bred a small number of different pokemon in the past. I'm trying to become more familiar with breeding, and I've hit a brick wall with my first current-gen project. I know how to pass down TM moves, but for whatever reason, I just can't get this to work.

To explain: I taught 4 TM moves to a female moon ball Gastly, leveled it up until I wouldn't be in danger of the DayCare making it override moves upon leveling up, and then bred it with a Ditto. I heard that females can now pass on TM moves just like the males, so I was confused when my first batch of new baby Gastlys popped out without any of the TM moves.

I tried to breed a male with the Ditto just in case, and had the same result. I tried to breed a male and a female together, and those babies came out with one of the TM moves: Shadow Ball. (I know that the babies had Shadow Ball because it's a move that Gastly learns naturally upon leveling up.)

It's been a while since I've tried to breed TM moves, and I know that I'm likely missing something extremely obvious here about TM move inheritance. Would someone care to enlighten me? I'd appreciate it. Heart

(Sidenote: Is this thread in the right forum section? If not, please let me know where I should post it, then I'll delete this one and repost it in the appropriate section. Thank you!)
-----
My Pkmn X Friend Safari - Fire
#1: Growlithe + #2: Larvesta + #3: Braixen
If you don't want your safari info posted, please let me know!
Prior to Generation VI, a bred Pokémon will inherit any TM/HM moves its father knows that it can learn. Additionally, if both parents know a move that the bred Pokémon can learn via level-up, it will inherit that move.
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
I know both of those things, that's why this is confusing me so much. The TM moves are not being passed down to the offspring, with the exception of Shadow Ball because of it being a level-up move.
-----
What game are you trying to breed in?
Oh goodness, I should have made sure to state that in my first post! Sorry about that. I'm breeding in Alpha Sapphire.
-----
Can I have one of those Gastly? Don't care about IVs or anything
Life only happens once. Make the most out of it.

I main Tracer for some reason...
My Friend Safari is Flying with Pidgey, Fletchiender and Swanna. Feel free to add me!

Also, my name is Hayden... Why am I Johnnyspyguy?
Prior to Generation VI, a bred Pokémon will inherit any TM/HM moves its father knows that it can learn.
@Johnnyspyguy 
Sure! But.. I wonder traded all of my breedjects away. ; ; Let me pop the pair back into the Daycare for a minute and get a couple eggs... Hah that actually did me a favor, my Hatching O-Power is finally lvl 3. xD

I'll trade you the one female I got out of the batch, that way you can breed more Moon Ball Gastlys with if if you want. Smile It's Timid, and I used my TMs to give it the moveset that I'm actually trying to breed for lol. The IVs on it aren't perfect but it's "relatively superior" according to the Judge.

I gave it a Helix Fossil just for giggles. #PraiseHelix! Register me and trade me whatever you feel like in return, I wouldn't even care if you threw a Zigzagoon my way. XD

Edit: I'm truly exhausted and don't think I can stay up any longer. Don't worry, I'll try to catch you later today to trade you my Gastly. Or if you register me and see me online, trade me at any time! I'll make sure that I remember your IGN. Smile
-----
(May 9, 2016, 05:20 AM)Excalibur0126 Wrote: Prior to Generation VI, a bred Pokémon will inherit any TM/HM moves its father knows that it can learn.
Hmmm. Are you meaning that TM/HM moves can no longer be passed down? Sad That sucks. I'm guessing it's because TMs are infinite now.
-----
Thanks! I'll give you a HA Gible. Wrong nature but you can breed a better one
Life only happens once. Make the most out of it.

I main Tracer for some reason...
My Friend Safari is Flying with Pidgey, Fletchiender and Swanna. Feel free to add me!

Also, my name is Hayden... Why am I Johnnyspyguy?