Poll: Which starter did you choose in Johto?
This poll is closed.
Chikorita
0%
0 0%
Cyndaquil
69.23%
9 69.23%
Totodile
30.77%
4 30.77%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Our Teams From Johto! - with 0kamii
[Image: fxwHYFD.png]
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, bringing you the second part of my newest post series!

By a considerable margin, Johto was the clear victor from my last "Our Teams From" post, and so I'm here to share with you all my team from Johto, and hopefully inspire you all to share yours as well. While it may seem like heresy, I have very little that I remember from Johto. It was one of the regions I played the least, and I barely remember by first playthrough of SoulSilver, which was admittedly my first Johto game. I never played Gold and Silver. But regardless! This is the team that I used throughout my most successful playthough, and while it may not be the most exciting, I display it proudly. If you couldn't tell by my poorly edited cover image up there, my team from Johto looked like this:

[Image: typhlosion.png] [Image: noctowl.png] [Image: latest?cb=20130727212321]
 [Image: 666af93e43336152af9abe2a4d9125ff---pokem...n-team.jpg] [Image: lugia.png] 
[Image: raichu.png]

For this team, there's no hidden subplot, no romanticized fantasy, just an honest young trainer catching whatever pokémon he thought was coolest! I've always loved Fire-Types, they might be my fifth favorite type overall, so I just had to choose Cyndaquil going into the game. Typhlosion soon followed, and I remember how badly we dominated Bugsy! I vaguely remember catching a Hoothoot and a Pidgey, but since only Hoothoot was actually from Johto, I figured it'd be more authentic to use it instead. The Red Gyarados came much later. I didn't start Shiny hunting until Gen 6 when the odds were increased, and I guess I was just anxious to have a Shiny on my team. All the same I needed a Water-Type, and Gyarados filled that role to a tee! It's also the only pokémon I used on both my Kanto and Johto teams! Soon after came Lugia, or Dragonite? Ugh. It's been a while since I picked up the Gen 2 remakes, but anyway they joined the team afterwards, and I gladly welcomed both powerhouses. Again, I wasn't much into competitive battling then, and I just wanted to use my favorites. The very last addition to the team was Raichu, who was given to me by a friend as an egg. Only once it hatched did I notice it had Volt Tackle, and I couldn't resist having a Raichu with its signature move. We pummeled the gyms, steamrolled the Elite Four, and obilerated Red! These six mons and I went through over 100 hours of gameplay together, probably more. Just 100 that I remember-ish. And I won't ever forget them! Maybe I'll recreate the team someday, just for kicks?

Even though it was a Johto game, my MVP was probably Dragonite. I got the Extreme Speed Dratini from the Dragon's Den elder, and I raised it strong and proud. We might've beat Clair together, but I honestly can't remember. Dragonite had awesome coverage in Surf, Earthquake, Dragon Claw, and Extreme Speed, and we powered through many battles together. The Extreme Speed Dratini was also one of the first pokémon I remember getting to level 100! So there's that milestone!

Well, that's it for today's post! Kind of short, I know. But this here post was never about me. It's about all of you, so please feel free to share the teams that you remember most fondly from your Gen 2 experience. Be it from the originals, or the remakes, I want to hear it all! And don't forget to vote on the poll about which starter you chose. See you all on Wednesday with the last VGC analysis of the season.

Thanks so much for reading everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Hey everybody! For my tag today, I think I'll tag users: @Sharkfang2193, @Brockahly, new user @chacha95, and @RetroTyphlosion would probably kill me if I didn't tag them. So there! Your question of the day is:

What was your most memorable team from Johto, and who was your MVP?

Looking forward to the answers! Come one, come all! Read you all soon.

- 0kamii

i chose Cyndaquil and still got rekt by bugsy
how do you do that, you may be thinking?
i one was level away from him not obeying, so I had to use my bellsprout, who had a huge disadvantage..

Now my team is a Quilava, Nidorina, Pidgeotto, Weepinbell and a Kingler. Yeah, even with this team I can't beat chuck, so I don't use soulsilver that often :c
This brings back memories Blush
My team in Pokémon Crystal, yup OG Johto, was Feraligatr, Totodile is awesome, Ampharos, cos I loved Mareep, Tyranitar, cos who doesn't love Tyranitar? Eevee, I didn't want to evolve it, Ho-oh, cos he's my favorite legendary and Suicune because Suicune
OU MASTER RACE
[Image: icon-heracross.png] [Image: icon-nidoking.png] [Image: icon-jolteon.png] [Image: icon-jynx.png] [Image: icon-typhlosion.png] ( [Image: icon-pidgey.png] , [Image: icon-furret.png] , [Image: icon-gyarados.png] )

Crystal was my first Pokemon game. I spent hour upon hour with this game, resulting in many playthroughs and in-game teams. (I remember almost crying because my battery was running low and I, being the child that I was, did not know about the wonders of the function we all know as saving the game) However, this team is my most used one and my favorite one.

The idea was that I wanted to have the ultimate team against Red and the Elite Four, while using as few Pokemon as possible that any in-game trainer used (I was a Hipster I know). The Jolteon/Jynx core can probably beat the Elite Four alone with their amazing coverage. I went with Jolteon because Mareep was a Gold/Silver exclusive and I had no friends that played Pokemon lol nor did I have those games. No friends=Trade evolutions was a no-go. Nidoking was for Piiiiiiikachuuuu and Heracross for Snorlax, while Jolteon, Jynx and Typhlosion could handle the rest of Red's team.

I alternated between a bunch of HM-slaves based on my needs. Legendaries always felt kinda lame to use in campaign because it made the game too easy in my opinion, hence their glaring absence.

Cheers
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda
No matter what I do, no matter how many times I insist that readers talk to each other, they always wind up talking to me! Gees. Oh, well. A Kahuna can just keep trying. Big Grin

@Reis

I noticed that you only have five team members. I know you said you didn't finish the game, but do you plan on getting sixth member? Personally I'd suggest an Electric-Type like Mareep for Chuck's Poliwrath and Pryce's entire gym.

@"Anabel"

I too am a lover of Suicune. It's easily my favorite of the legendary beasts. And Eevee? Have you conisdered building a team around Eevee's exclusive Z-crystal? I hear it's a lot of fun to use!

@PerchPond

I loved your story, Perch. And so did my partner. He read your comment with me and he said it brought him back. Thanks for the pathos! Also, I love your Johto team. It's certainly better than mine. Also, love that you used a Jolteon. Probably my favorite Eeveelution, so you get bonus points for that! Wink

- 0kamii

@0kamii I have a confession to make, I still never beat Red in Crystal and it was because of Espeon, and, albeit a bit embarrassing, I cried when I kept losing to him

I did finally beat him in HG though, so that's cool Smile
OU MASTER RACE
Little late with this but let's do it Big Grin

My starter of course was Cyndaquil just because at a first glance it doesn't look like much but then it surprises you when it evolves into a beast of a Typhlosion with a fiery spirit.

My second was Zubat i always wanted more than just a golbat so when Crowbat came out i was psyched.

My third was Umbreon it was nice seeing an evee evolution take a turn to the dark side and it came in handy when going up against ghost or psychic types

My fourth was a random encounter shiny Nidoking on route 13 it was also the first shiny i ever caught so it holds allot of sentimental value.

My fifth was Houndoom it had a cool design and was the only one with the fire,dark combo back then and it really helped win me some battles.

My final was Tyranitarbecause i needed a powerhouse on my team and it did just that.

My M.V.P. was definitely Typhlosion just because of the different movesets it can get, for a single type starter it could learn quite allot of type moves such as ghost, earth, fighting, and electric moves making it really easy to go up against many over Types that would usually be trouble for his typing.
Words i live by - Good Luck and Chance.
(Aug 14, 2017, 09:22 PM)0kamii Wrote: No matter what I do, no matter how many times I insist that readers talk to each other, they always wind up talking to me! Gees. Oh, well. A Kahuna can just keep trying. Big Grin

@Reis

I noticed that you only have five team members. I know you said you didn't finish the game, but do you plan on getting sixth member? Personally I'd suggest an Electric-Type like Mareep for Chuck's Poliwrath and Pryce's entire gym.

@"Anabel"

I too am a lover of Suicune. It's easily my favorite of the legendary beasts. And Eevee? Have you conisdered building a team around Eevee's exclusive Z-crystal? I hear it's a lot of fun to use!

@PerchPond

I loved your story, Perch. And so did my partner. He read your comment with me and he said it brought him back. Thanks for the pathos! Also, I love your Johto team. It's certainly better than mine. Also, love that you used a Jolteon. Probably my favorite Eeveelution, so you get bonus points for that! Wink

- 0kamii

I couldn't remember the 5th member, but it was Togepi because I wanted Togekiss
@0kamii Aww that's awesomeBlush Yeah Jolteon is great  Big Grin Too bad its shiny colour scheme is pretty meh Undecided
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda