Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Palossand
So I'm thinking about a team for OU singles (Smogon I guess) and I want to try and include Palossand. 

Here's some context: The core that I have in mind consists of M-Charizard Y, Palossand and Greninja. The reason I wanna build around them is because they look wicked as shinies in Luxury balls, a "Men in black" feel about it. So while the three of them cover each others weaknesses well, Palossand is the only one not in the OU tier. So I would really appreciate some insight into what moveset might be most appropriate here to make Palossand work somewhat okay at least. 

I can see it mainly as a Rock-type switch in for Charizard, and taking advantage of the sun to get Water Compaction boosts by taking weakened water attacks. 

So yeah, feel free to give some input into this

Cheers
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda
(Aug 27, 2017, 05:35 PM)PerchPond Wrote: the three of them cover each others weaknesses well
That's not so easy. Greninja has terrible bulk and can't switch in freely, while Palossand has troubles with one of the commoner Rock types in OU, Tyranitar. Keep in mind that Rock is a typing mostly used as coverage, and common Stone Edge users can easily win 1vs1 vs Palossand. The same is true for a lot of MCharY's check (Latios, Toxic Chansey and, depending on MCharY's moves, Baloon Heatran or Zygarde) so Palossand is basically unuseful.
That's not a very constructive response  Undecided It's an offensive core so hard switching in Greninja won't be the case. Low kick Greninja would dent most Tyranitar sets. Super effective Shadow ball hits Latios from Palossand, but it depends on the set of Palossand, which is what I'm asking for. Will most likely run HP-Ice on Charizard as well as Ice Beam on Greninja. This is still only 3 mons, so the other 3 can be built to deal with specific threats (Excadrill for hazards and Chansey as an example).
(Aug 28, 2017, 02:39 AM)PerchPond Wrote: That's not a very constructive response  Undecided It's an offensive core so hard switching in Greninja won't be the case. Low kick Greninja would dent most Tyranitar sets. Super effective Shadow ball hits Latios from Palossand, but it depends on the set of Palossand, which is what I'm asking for. Will most likely run HP-Ice on Charizard as well as Ice Beam on Greninja. This is still only 3 mons, so the other 3 can be built to deal with specific threats (Excadrill for hazards and Chansey as an example).

If you want constructive responses tries constructive cores.
Shadow Ball can almost never OHKO Latios unless you're holding Life Orb/Specs/Ghostium or Spooky Plate with SR on the field while Palossand can't endure Psychic/Psyshock+Draco Meteor even from a Soul Dew set, not to mention Life Orb/Draconium/CMind/Specs ones.

252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Palossand: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Palossand: 145-172 (38.7 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Palossand: 220-261 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The tots are 97,5-115,6% with Psyshock and 99,7-118% with Psychic.

252+ SpA Palossand Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 222-264 (73.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Spooky Plate Palossand Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 266-314 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
(Aug 28, 2017, 04:59 AM)Spyro190 Wrote:
(Aug 28, 2017, 02:39 AM)PerchPond Wrote: That's not a very constructive response  Undecided It's an offensive core so hard switching in Greninja won't be the case. Low kick Greninja would dent most Tyranitar sets. Super effective Shadow ball hits Latios from Palossand, but it depends on the set of Palossand, which is what I'm asking for. Will most likely run HP-Ice on Charizard as well as Ice Beam on Greninja. This is still only 3 mons, so the other 3 can be built to deal with specific threats (Excadrill for hazards and Chansey as an example).

If you want constructive responses tries constructive cores.
Shadow Ball can almost never OHKO Latios unless you're holding Life Orb/Specs/Ghostium or Spooky Plate with SR on the field while Palossand can't endure Psychic/Psyshock+Draco Meteor even from a Soul Dew set, not to mention Life Orb/Draconium/CMind/Specs ones.

252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Psychic vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Palossand: 153-181 (40.9 - 48.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Palossand: 145-172 (38.7 - 45.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 SpA Soul Dew Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Palossand: 220-261 (58.8 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The tots are 97,5-115,6% with Psyshock and 99,7-118% with Psychic.

252+ SpA Palossand Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 222-264 (73.7 - 87.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Spooky Plate Palossand Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 266-314 (88.3 - 104.3%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
So a AV set might work, if Palossands job is to take on Latios Blush As a neutral natured Shadow Ball with no investment cleanly 2KO's 4 HP Latios
For what it counts,  Palossand is regularly one of the best mons on my team.  I've been breeding scads of them,  with max ivs when possible, dive balls,  modest nature, and four egg moves (destiny bond, ancient power, amnesia, and another move- I think stockpile.)  If you or anyone else here wants one,  let me know.  I had boxes full when looking for my gloriously-beautiful Kaala Taj.

Mine has max evs in defense and special attack with the remainder in hp, and carries Big Root with Giga Drain, Earth Power, Shadow Ball, and either Amnesia or Ancient Power depending upon my mood: most recently, the latter.  It's been pretty much singlehandedly carrying me at the battle tower.  It's a really under-rated mon in my opinion.
(Aug 28, 2017, 08:47 PM)Chansey Wrote: For what it counts,  Palossand is regularly one of the best mons on my team.  I've been breeding scads of them,  with max ivs when possible, dive balls,  modest nature, and four egg moves (destiny bond, ancient power, amnesia, and another move- I think stockpile.)  If you or anyone else here wants one,  let me know.  I had boxes full when looking for my gloriously-beautiful Kaala Taj.

Mine has max evs in defense and special attack with the remainder in hp, and carries Big Root with Giga Drain, Earth Power, Shadow Ball, and either Amnesia or Ancient Power depending upon my mood: most recently, the latter.  It's been pretty much singlehandedly carrying me at the battle tower.  It's a really under-rated mon in my opinion.
That's great Blush I'm gonna try and catch one myself in a Luxury ball to get the matchy-matchy with its shiny form. Yeah it has so many different boosting moves, recovery in Shore-Up and alot of coverage moves. Real shame it doesnt get Scald though Undecided Offensive movesets really only seem to work with good Trick Room setup, while bulky sets work in general. Water Compaction is a really wierd ability, as alot of special water attacks will KO it or bring it so low it can't take advantage of the boost. But I guess with a good set up it can work (I imagine pairing it up with Aurora Veil could work).
(Aug 29, 2017, 03:34 AM)PerchPond Wrote:
(Aug 28, 2017, 08:47 PM)Chansey Wrote: For what it counts,  Palossand is regularly one of the best mons on my team.  I've been breeding scads of them,  with max ivs when possible, dive balls,  modest nature, and four egg moves (destiny bond, ancient power, amnesia, and another move- I think stockpile.)  If you or anyone else here wants one,  let me know.  I had boxes full when looking for my gloriously-beautiful Kaala Taj.

That's great Blush I'm gonna try and catch one myself in a Luxury ball to get the matchy-matchy with its shiny form. Yeah it has so many different boosting moves, recovery in Shore-Up and alot of coverage moves. Real shame it doesnt get Scald though Undecided Offensive movesets really only seem to work with good Trick Room setup, while bulky sets work in general. Water Compaction is a really wierd ability, as alot of special water attacks will KO it or bring it so low it can't take advantage of the boost. But I guess with a good set up it can work (I imagine pairing it up with Aurora Veil could work).

If you want the luxury ball and few egg moves, you can breed a male egg move with a female you caught in a luxury ball and the children will get mom's ball.
@Chansey You still have those Sandys? I'd like to nab one off you
OU MASTER RACE
(Sep 22, 2017, 10:37 AM)Kris Wrote: @Chansey You still have those Sandys? I'd like to nab one off you

Yes,  I still have them.  Let me find one for you.  I'll try to go online later today.