Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Pokémon of the Day: Whimsicott!
[Image: whimsicott_by_all0412-d4j326t.jpg]

Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and I don't usually post on Tuesdays, but I saw Whimsicott was pokémon of the day and I had to say something!

Because this post is entirely impromptu (as most have at least a little preparation), I'm just going to ramble. Whimsicott, much like Emolga, was a pokémon hidden away in the depths of Gen 5 that scoured little to no love from fans at first. It sat blankly in the bowels of Unova; just another generic Grass-Type with no unique features, aside from the fact that some people believed that Whimsicott was racist because it was exclusive to Black version. Yeah, that's a can of worms I'd rather not open. But anyway, I have two Whimsicott sets I'd like to share in honor of one of my favorite Grass-Types, and one of my favorite Fairy-Types! The first is the set used by Ryota Otsubo in the VGC 2017 World Championship.

Whimsicott
Whimsicott @ Normalium Z
Ability: Prankster
EVs: ?
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Nature Power
- Charm

Used mainly for STAB and misdirection, I've already covered Ryota's Whimsicott in my Top 8 Overview. So I won't go into it too much. I also don't have any information on the EV spread Ryota used on his Whimsicott, but I imagine that Sp. Atk is likely maxed, and thanks to having a moveset filled by moves boosted by Prankster, there are no EVs in Speed. If anyone has the specifics on Ryota's Whimsicott's EVs, please share them down below. This Whimsicott was very niche for its team, and I wouldn't recommend mimicking this set. Instead, I would recommend something closer to this second set below.

Whimsicott
Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk / 4 Sp. Def / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Tailwind
- Leech Seed
- Moonblast

This is a Whimsicott set that I used in the Battle Maison paired with a Mega Glalie, Rampardos, and Heatran. We defeated the Battle Chatelaines together, and his contributions to the team were phenomenal. I once ran Cotton Guard on this set, but I realized pretty quickly that Whimsicott is just not going to be taking any hits. So best to seed the opponents while you can instead of trying to give him some staying power. Other versions of this set include Giga Drain instead of Moonblast, Taunt instead of Protect if you're playing Singles, and I've occasionally seen a Special Attacking Whimsicott with a Fairium Z and/or Choice Specs. Play around with it, and see what set works best for you! I personally think the supportive set is best for Whimsicott, but maybe one of you could prove me wrong.

Lastly, and it needs to be said: Whimsicott has an AMAZING Shiny!

[Image: 667498f4336c6deb0a6b4073ee29b7b83f9bc51d_hq.gif]

Well, that's all. Thanks everyone for reading my impromptu post, and I hope you'll all come back tomorrow for the next installment in "I Am An Axew". Don't forget to comment down below with any fond memories that YOU have of Whimsicott, or any sets that you've had fun with that are different from my own above.

Thanks so much for reading, everyone! Battle onwards, friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Wouldn’t say I’m a Whimsicott hater, but I’m not a lover... it’s a Pokémon my T. R. Team can easily beat, but I’m not saying it doesn’t have its threats. 

Also, are you on? I  can battle you!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@RetroTyphlosion

You mean our Spooky Cup teams? Sure. I'd be down for that.

- 0kamii

Uhhh, I can't do a Spooky cup match right now... I thought VGC.
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@RetroTyphlosion

Ah, shoot. My VGC team is in a different game right now. I was hoping we could finally have that mock battle for Spooky Cup. Eh, maybe next time.

- 0kamii

@0kamii nice
OU MASTER RACE
I have a super awesome Shiny Outstanding Potential Whimsicott I thought I'd share that fact with you all in celebration of this hair ball of a pocket monster Big Grin
Cottonee was the first shiny i got through RE in black at first i didn't care for it's shiny it was just a cottonee that had a tussle with an orange spraycan but after going through my dex i noticed i didn't register it's evolution and to my surprise after evolving it's shiny did a complete 360 the dark body complimented by the white fluff and that bright blue horns with its golden eyes had me mesmarized and now it stands as the best shiny in gen 5 in my opinion.
Words i live by - Good Luck and Chance.
I love Whismsicott, it's a fluffy little sheep like Mareep! ♡ Sheep are great, they're like living huggable cotton balls. Smile