Poll: Pixilate Hyper Voice or Moonblast?
Pixilate Hyper Voice
Moonblast
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Pixilate Hyper Voice VS Moonblast [Debate]
So for this post I am going to be talking about a rather cute Eeveelution, that being Sylveon

[Image: 700Sylveon.png]
However I'm not going to be talking about a move set, but two moves in particular.  During some testing for a team I'm working on, I found that Kommo-o was still popular in the meta, being found in more than 8% of teams according ok PikaLytics. However Kommo-o has the ability Soundproof, which would save it from a Pixilate Hyper Voice since it is a sound based move.

SOOOOOOO, DRUM ROLL PLEASE........no?.......ok then

Welcome to the War Between Pixilate Hyper Voice and Moonblast

Now I see some of y'all saying "WELL GOSH FIRETACO, IT OBVIOUSLY (Insert Move Here)"

However there are a few things that get in the way of both of these moves and so I want to see what the kind people of Pokemon Forever thought on the issue.

So First of All:  I will be saying some Pros and Cons about Each Move

Pros for Pixilate Hyper Voice

• 108 Base Power
  • Stab Fairy Type Move
  • Hits Both Pokemon in a double Battle.  
Pros for Moonblast

• 95 Base Power 
  • Stab Fairy Type Move
  • Single Target Move
  • 30% chance to lower a pokemon's Sp. Attack by 1 stage

Cons for Pixilate Hyper Voice
  • No secondary effect
  • If ability is lost somehow, it loses the Fairy Type, stab and stab boost, making it a 90 Base Normal Attack
  • Blocked out by Soundproof
Cons for Moonblast

• Can Only hit one pokemon
  • Weaker than a Pixilate Hyper Voice
  • Not a guarantee effect chance

So now that you see some of the most basic arguments made for and against both if these move, I know want to see what each of you think is the better move to use,

This is once again if

1. There are no other moves to use

2. In a Double Battle

3. The pokemon has no kind of item that could edit the power of these moves

4. The Pokemon's ability, reguardless of move you choose, is Pixilate

(I think thats everything)

See y'all down below, 

~FireTaco

wait what's this?  I could have also used mega gardevoir and mega altaria?  well here is the think, I have already covered Mega Altaria, and I don't like using Mega Gardevoir.               Sooo.......  Boom Sylveon took the wheel  Tongue
Mawr
Well I am going to have to say that I would run pixilate/hyper voice considering the moonblast would be ONLY for the 8% chance to run into Kommo-o when I could just run Psyshock or HP Ice as my 4th move.
@FireTaco I'd run Moonblast. Yes, hitting both targets is great, but the damage for Hyper Voice is reduced by 25% in a Double Battle. This is why most double hitting moves are used for chip damage, not for actually knocking out Pokemon. Kommo-o carries Soundproof 90% of the time, so your best bet really is Moonblast.

@Pokeballsohard Forgive me if I sound rude, but I'd like to put my two cents in on your post as well. An 8% chance (9% in the PGL), is about one in ten teams. This, by VGC standards, is very high, and it means you need to start watching out for it. Moreover, Psyshock is simply outclassed by Moonblast in sheer damage output. Kommo-o is not the only dragon in VGC, either. Combined with Salamence, there's a 20% chance of running into a Dragon, not even including any other Dragon Types. However, HP Ice is not a bad option, but if you are already running a Fairy type move, its almost not worth another slot for Dargon coverage.

-Retro
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@RetroTyphlosion 

So I forgot about the damage reduction in doubles since I dot do them super often. I also agree with you that Psyshock is not a great choice on sylveon, (I was just throwing it out here as a option) but I definitely would run the hyper voice + Hp ice on my set personally since the hyper voice would be solid STAB damage and hp ice is 4x damage to both salamence and lando (everyone runs lando) and hits zapdos, amoongus, and tapu bulu super effectively. Honestly though you probably know more about this than I do.
It depends on the set and your team. If it's Specs, which is the most effective Sylveon set, then you should run both Hyper Voice and Moonblast, much like you run Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast on Specs Fini. But Pixilate Hyper Voice is really the only reason to use Sylveon. If you want Moonblast, go for Fini, Lele or Ninetales.
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda
(Feb 20, 2018, 04:51 PM)Pokeballsohard Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion 

So I forgot about the damage reduction in doubles since I dot do them super often. I also agree with you that Psyshock is not a great choice on sylveon, (I was just throwing it out here as a option) but I definitely would run the hyper voice + Hp ice on my set personally since the hyper voice would be solid STAB damage and hp ice is 4x damage to both salamence and lando (everyone runs lando) and hits zapdos, amoongus, and tapu bulu super effectively. Honestly though you probably know more about this than I do.

@Pokeballsohard I wouldn't be opposed to running  HP Ice, and even though it's not my favorite thing, many Pokémon run a split move in case one is needed. And after the Pixilate, Hyper Voice is still pretty strong; it's not a terrible thing to try.

(Feb 20, 2018, 05:06 PM)PerchPond Wrote: It depends on the set and your team. If it's Specs, which is the most effective Sylveon set, then you should run both Hyper Voice and Moonblast, much like you run Dazzling Gleam and Moonblast on Specs Fini. But Pixilate Hyper Voice is really the only reason to use Sylveon. If you want Moonblast, go for Fini, Lele or Ninetales.

Good point.

@RetroTyphlosion 

what do you mean by split move?

I'm not very experienced with competetive battling, I only just started doing it a couple months ago even though I've been breeding competetive pokemon for years lol
I'm not that into competitive pokemon, but I would personally go for moonblast. The reason why is because of the competitions that I know of, most of them are in doubles format, which would reduce the power of hyper voice. Also, the sp.atk reduction of moonblast can help if you're against a special setup pokemon, like cresselia. Sylveon should be able to tank some hits because of its base hp and sp.defense. The reduction of the -ate abilities hurts too.
(Feb 20, 2018, 05:15 PM)Pokeballsohard Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion 

what do you mean by split move?

I'm not very experienced with competetive battling, I only just started doing it a couple months ago even though I've been breeding competetive pokemon for years lol

@Pokeballsohard By split move, I mean a move that hits both Pokémon in a Doubles Battle. The Damage is "split".