Poll: Do you think it's viable?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] [VGC] Entrainment Araquanid?
A few days ago, I was watching a verlis video about entrainment araquanid and pelliper. Do you think it's viable?

EDIT: I'm stupid =(
i assume youre running 252 speed too, just cant see pelipper surviving first turn half of the time (since you cant entrainment through protect)
First turn peli goes for tailwind and araquanid entrainments.
Pelipper needs focus sash to survive, especially if you're going to tailwind/entrainment turn one. Very gimmicky, wouldn't work in a best of 3 scenario.
Saffari - BUG: Combee, Volbeat, Pinsir
TSVs - 3498 (Sun) - 3217 (Moon)

Hojunhu's Bizarre Bazaar
It depends what you mean by viable. If you mean it can get wins, sure. But as with all gimmicks they are rarely consistent and tend to have crippling matchup issues, to the point that they just auto lose to certain teams. They also tend to be very one dimensional and often times just lose if turn one doesn't go their way. It is quite common to see double targets in to Pelipper knowing that Pelipper is almost always sashed and even more commonly has Tailwind, which for your strategy best case scenario ends up with you at a 3v4 disadvantage with Tailwind up, which may not be awful. Assuming however both of your opponents mons outspeed Pelipper and target it (or at least one brings it to its sash and the other goes for a spread move) Entrainment + Tailwind results in a dead turn for you with 1 fewer Pokemon. Other scenarios are they bring Pelipper to its sash and switch a Hail/Sand setter, again leaving you with the best case scenario I described before. Taunt users (as with most gimmicks) shut this down, or at least prevent Pelipper from Tailwind so it gets outsped and KO'd the next turn. And common rain counters check this strategy pretty hard, such as Gastrodon, Tapu Fini and the more niche option of Lapras that recently top cut Georgia and Leipzig regionals.

I also have no idea what you're talking about with Toxapex. Firstly Pelipper needs a focus sash so calcing with LO is redundant, Toxapex isn't used at all in VGC and when it is it's used with other non-viable Pokemon like Minior, Comfey and Crabominable. Surf is not and should not be used on Pelipper. And finally even if all of what I just said isn't true.

252+ SpA Life Orb Water Bubble Pelipper Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Toxapex in Rain: 74-87 (47.1 - 55.4%) -- 72.3% chance to 2HKO

Personally I would avoid taking competitive advice from Verlisify. He is constantly promoting inconsistent strategies and sets that don't function well in any particular format (because they aren't made with any particular format in mind, other than the general terms Doubles and Singles). I'm not saying to stop watching his content or anything, if he's entertaining to you that's great, but just know that his competitive guides should be taken with a grain of salt (or at times the entire salt shaker). If you want sets and strategies that are specific to VGC17, as well as team analyses and guides I'd recommend looking at the videos of the following youtubers. Wolfe Glick, Aaron Cybertron Zheng, Ray Rizzo, and for more unconventionals but still viable teams (as well as some UK players), Baz Anderson and Jamie Boyt. All of these players are veteran VGC players and really do a great job of explaining their thought processes, as well as being entertaining Smile I will say that a lot of Wolfey's guides are somewhat outdated and most were made while the format was still very immature. Then again, the meta has been evolving extremely quickly recently, with some very cool new techs being introduced in the most recent regionals.
Found a combo that could work. Probs not for VGC since it requires a Mega Stone.

Araquanid @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 HP
Impish Nature
- Liquidation
- Leech Life
- Entrainment
- Protect

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

If you manage to Entrainment Water Bubble onto Gyarados while he gets a Dragon Dance up, he pretty much cleaves anything that doesn't double resist Water in two. I've been using those two in the Battle Tree to see how it goes and I have to say, it works very well. There are a few bad things though. If Gyarados gets knocked out, you have no hope of breaking past bulky water-type walls like Walrein who runs a horrible Stockpile-ChestoResto in the Battle Tree. Araquanid also doesn't like being Taunted, Encored or Statused, but if you pull it off right, there are some easy games to be won. Even bulkier resistant pokemon like Goodra will take heavy damage or will outright be OHKOed. It's a little bit of a gimmick and difficult to set up, but if you do set up, GG to your opponent.
@TheGamingPerson12 

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree with @RebornFX on this one. If you're playing VGC, I'd stay far far away from anything in the realm of gimmicky. In a recreational battle, sure! Try it out. But this strategy doesn't seem particularly consistent for the VGC format. It simply requires too much setup, and believe me, one turn is always too much setup.

Also, I'd avoid taking VGC advice from Verlisify. I listened to his videos for a long time, but when I started playing VGC, everything he said became irrelevant. You'll learn a lot more from actually battling and playing the format, believe me. That's not to say stop watching his videos. But keep in mind that he just tends to discuss hypothetical strategies without ever testing them. Something to consider.

- 0kamii