Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Glitch in Pokémon Yellow
Hey all! Anybody found a glitch in Pokémon Yellow that makes all NPC sprites in the overworld game Professor Oak or Gary Oak? I did once. I can't remember the exact details, but I know enough to manage to recreate the glitch if anybody's interested in seeing it. Let me know if you want me to do it again and post a tutorial on how to do it, and I'll be sure to do so when I have time.

-Riot
So, how do you start the ApOAKalypse? Tongue
I'm back again.
Definitely be interested in seeing a tutorial for that!
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
Interesting if true. Stuff like this is usually done with A.C.E
OU MASTER RACE
Wow..... that sounds real neat!

Please show us!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
Alright. I'll need a couple of hours to familiarize myself with my Gameboy again — I never use emulators when I can help it =P — and find it again. I remember it requires the Safari walk through walls glitch and then something to do with Cinnabar Island. Will keep you all updated.

EDIT: Heh, Apoakalypse...

I've wrote out a guide on how to recreate the glitch. It's more of a side-glitch, as the glitch needs another glitch if you're to activate it, but even so, it's really cool, funny, and I'm proud that I found it. I just hope I was the first to find it :P

First, you should head to Cerulean City. You need a Pokémon that can poison, such as Butterfree with Poisonpowder — personally I use Bellsprout — and also a supply of fifty or so potions. I suggest at least ninety just to be safe.

Head to the route to one side of Cerulean, find a Spearow, poison it and catch it. 

Go back to the Pokémon Center. DO NOT HEAL THE SPEAROW. This is important. It must stay poisoned or else this will not work. Deposit all your other Pokémon in the PC and teach Spearow the move Fly.

Fly to Fuchsia City. Make sure you save every so often and use potions every time Spearow goes to low HP.

Go to the Safari Zone and enter.

Don't move from the gate. Go back, and when prompted about leaving early, say 'no'. Save at the gate, then reset the game. (Turn the Gameboy off and on again, or do whatever you do for whatever emulator you use.)

Leave the Safari Zone. The guy behind the counter will ask if you want to enter the Safari Zone — forgetful, isn't he? You're only just leaving! Say no and leave the Safari Zone. Now fly to Viridian City.

Walk up and down the side of the ledge. Save every few dozen steps so you don't overshoot your mark and remember the potions. After about 493 steps, you get the PA telling you your Safari game is over. Reset the game again, go back to where you last saved and, one step before the PA calls you, save, then jump over the ledge. Since that counts as two steps, you end up half-frozen above it. This is where things become fun.

Now you end up in the Safari Zone place again. You can walk around the place and... Yeah. You can walk around the whole place. If the glitch was done correctly, which it likely was, then you can now walk through walls. Don't go past the black boundary or through the doorways, though.

Hang on.

If you can't go through the doorways, how do you get out?

That's where Spearow comes in. Stop healing it and walk around until the poison makes it faint. You'll end up outside a Pokémon Center. Now you can walk around the entire world free of boundaries, just don't go through doorways or the like. Or battle people or Pokémon. For this, you could buy a load of repels so you can go through grass, but for the Oak overworld glitch, it's not necessary.

So that's the walk through walls glitch. I didn't find this glitch, and don't claim that I did. Now let's look at the glitch I DID find, the Professor / Gary Oak overworld sprite glitch.

Fly to Cinnabar Island. 

Go upwards through the gym wall until you find a line of tiles extending into the ocean. Walk across them for a while. You'll come to a cave.

Interact with the sign in front of the cave. 'SEAFOAM ISLANDS'. Now go down to the other sign. Hang on, is that...

"Professor Oak, I didn't know you could stand on water!"

Heh, seeing him gave me a shock when I first found this glitch. Anyway, if you interact with the second sign, or enter a fight or go through a doorway or whatever, the overworld sprites return to normal. So now follow the tiles you followed to get to this sign. Don't go back to Cinnabar — go further out. Also, you can use this area as a sort of on/off switch for this glitch. One sign is on, one sign is off.

You WILL encounter a few more of the Pokémon Professor standing on water, then when you get to land, look at that — it's your rival, Gary Oak!

And his twin.

The glitch also has some other fun effects in other places, such as the old man from Viridian who showed you how to catch Pokémon lying down on water in a Pokémon enclosure in Fuchsia City, but truly, Professor Oak learning how to stand on water has to be the best.
Could you provide screenshots please?
OU MASTER RACE
I can't work out how to post images without linking them up to something like Imgur, which I can't be bothered doing because I'm lazy as heck. I DM'd an image to Okamii on Discord, though it's bad quality — taking a pic of my GBC via mobile device — and doesn't show Oak or Gary, just shows the old man from Viridian City (the guy who shows you how to catch Pokémon) lying down on water in Fuchsia City, in one of the enclosures in front of the Safari Zone, though I think that's enough proof.