Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

What is a Friend Safari?
Hi, I'm looking around on this website, and I'm seeing a lot of people talking about Friend Safaris. Only problem is,  I don't know what these are! Can someone please explain?
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
I quote from Bulbapedia: "The Friend Safari... is a facility in Kiloude City where Trainers can catch Pokemon that cannot normally be found in their journeys."

So basically how it works is that you have someone as your friend registered on your 3DS, you can enter the Friend Safari after entering the Hall of Fame. Every Friend Safari has 3 Pokemon in it- a list of all the Pokemon you can find is also on Bulbapedia. (The Friend Safaris just have a bunch of patches of grass for encounters.)

I also quote, "Pokémon encountered in the Friend Safari are guaranteed to have at least two IVs of 31. They also have a 1/512 chance of being Shiny (eight times more likely than normal). The Shiny chance is not affected by the Shiny Charm."

So yeah. That's basically it. Many will use Friend Safaris to shiny hunt because of the odds. Shame it doesn't get affected by the Shiny charm... 

tl;dr even though it's technically longer - http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Friend_Safari
(Apr 18, 2017, 03:50 PM)RetroTyphlosion Wrote: Hi, I'm looking around on this website, and I'm seeing a lot of people talking about Friend Safaris. Only problem is,  I don't know what these are! Can someone please explain?

@RetroTyphlosion  In Pokemon X and Y once you beat the game you unlock a town that gives you access to friend safari`s. There is a friend safari for everyone in your friend safari in this town. They are generated from that person's friend codes. Every safari is a specific type (fairy, dark, etc) and contains 3 pokemon (only 2 if said friend doesn't have X or Y or hasn't beat the elite four in X and Y and be online while you were). Every Pokemon has at least 2 perfect (31) IVs, a possibility of having there hidden ability, and a 1/512 chance (same as shiny charm) of being shiny. Also shiny charm in X and Y doesn't stack with this already high chance of being shiny.

unless you have X or Y you can't access it. It is the reason the First and Sixith Gen starters hidden abilities are so readily available and you often see them in different balls other that Pokeball. This is also the only way to get hidden abilities of Pokemon that aren't available in ORAS and SuMo but I don't think to many are relevant to the current meta.