Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Infernape is VGC 2016 Viable!?!
So I was browsing around Nugget Bridge and came across an interesting post:
http://nuggetbridge.com/blogs/entry/1316...ment-19930

To sum it up quickly, the poster lists a unique Infernape set for VGC.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Flamethrower
- Encore
- Taunt

With it's base 108 Speed stat, it has a faster Fake Out than Kangaskhan, Smeargle, Liepard, and Meowstic. It's base speed allows it to Taunt Smeargle, Xerneas, and Cresselia. Encore is a surprise move, allowing it to lock opposing Pokémon into unfavorable moves. From the post, the user states that only 12.5% of Infernape carry Encore according to Battle Spot, meaning that it's not a move that your opponent will expect.

What do you guys think? I think it's worth trying out. Who would you pair with Infernape?
I like it!
I've been against it a few times and it gets absolutely destroyed tbh. All it gets off is a fake out then the next turn its dead
Formerly Sir Absol

Genning/Powersave Expert            #SylveonIsOP
(Feb 14, 2016, 10:03 AM)Absol Wrote: I've been against it a few times and it gets absolutely destroyed tbh. All it gets off is a fake out then the next turn its dead

I've tested it out in a few matches and it's been surprisingly efficient. Typically, I use Fake Out turn 1 and apply offensive pressure with either Groudon, Xerneas, or Kangaskhan. Turn 2 I'll either use Encore if I want to lock an opposing Pokémon in a move, or I'll bring in Groudon if he's not in already and launch off a Flamethrower. He's definitely frail, but with Fake Out and Focus Sash he sticks around for 2-3 turns which is fine because I have heavier hitters that I want to bring in.
(Feb 14, 2016, 12:04 PM)DanielJames Wrote:
(Feb 14, 2016, 10:03 AM)Absol Wrote: I've been against it a few times and it gets absolutely destroyed tbh. All it gets off is a fake out then the next turn its dead

I've tested it out in a few matches and it's been surprisingly efficient. Typically, I use Fake Out turn 1 and apply offensive pressure with either Groudon, Xerneas, or Kangaskhan. Turn 2 I'll either use Encore if I want to lock an opposing Pokémon in a move, or I'll bring in Groudon if he's not in already and launch off a Flamethrower. He's definitely frail, but with Fake Out and Focus Sash he sticks around for 2-3 turns which is fine because I have heavier hitters that I want to bring in.

If I dont take him out because theres a more important threat I usually just lock him into fake out by using Encore with Togekiss and he's pretty much useless at that point so I just let him sit there while I sweep the rest of the team using Rayquaza/Kyogre or Sylveon/Kyogre
Formerly Sir Absol

Genning/Powersave Expert            #SylveonIsOP
I want to believe vgc'15 viable too. Endeavor infernape will not be forgotten....I think that could throw many off putting the new legends at 1HP too, but it'd be too risky to me. It has its place in the new format though, almost solely on it's movepool and speed.
I saw 2 Infernapes on Showdown back in December when I was just watching battles. Both had Encore, and were able to heavily cripple and streamroll their opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw my encore coming. It does get Quick Guard, too.
(Feb 14, 2016, 02:36 PM)El Miguel VGC Wrote: I want to believe vgc'15 viable too. Endeavor infernape will not be forgotten....I think that could throw many off putting the new legends at 1HP too, but it'd be too risky to me. It has its place in the new format though, almost solely on it's movepool and speed.

(Feb 14, 2016, 03:04 PM)MagnusHexem Wrote: I saw 2 Infernapes on Showdown back in December when I was just watching battles. Both had Encore, and were able to heavily cripple and streamroll their opponents. I wouldn't be surprised if someone saw my encore coming. It does get Quick Guard, too.

I agree. Infernape has been working out nicely on my team. I still want to do some more testing before breeding a Timid Chimchar, but it's been able to pull its own weight every battle I brought it to. Quick Guard is a great option as well!
im gonna make this answer short and sweet
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
(Feb 15, 2016, 11:06 AM)MudkipLegend Wrote: im gonna make this answer short and sweet

Could you go into a bit more detail than just a simple no? I'm just curious on your thoughts about it.

It's got a diverse move pool and speed. Paired with P-Don, Flamethrower hits hard. Fake Out, Quick Gaurd, Encore are great support moves. It's frail but Focus Sash helps and what I've been noticing is that my opponent tends to target my other Pokémon because it's usually more of an offensive threat than Infernape, which I use for my advantage.