Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Mega Aerodactyl
I use a Mega Aerodactyl on my competitive team. Right now it knows iron head, rockslide, ice fang, and roost. I do know that Mega Aerodactyl's ability causes moves that hit directly to do more damage. Rockslide is good for the flinch, but however does not benefit from the ability due to the fact that it does not hit directly. Would a different move be better? And would another move be better than ice fang? I use roost instead of swords dance because it's good for healing. Iron head needs to stay. It does decent damage and gets a wonderful flinch chance. Any ideas about this moveset?
@Tanner Harig Here's some good movesets for Mega-Areodactyl.

Standard Attacker

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack/Aqua Tail
- Earthquake/Aqua Tail
- Roost/Pursuit

Stone Edge is a STAB move that allows Aerodactyl to hit opposing Flying-types as well as Ice-, Fire-, and Bug-types such as Kyurem, Entei, Darmanitan, and Mega Beedrill. Wing Attack, while seemingly weak, gets the Tough Claws boost, making it very potent against Fighting-types, as well as Grass-types that can tank Stone Edge such as Shaymin and Chesnaught. Earthquake is used for its ability to hit Steel-types such as Cobalion, Lucario, and Doublade, which resist both of Aerodactyl's STAB types. Aqua Tail not only benefits from Tough Claws but also gives Aerodactyl a way around Ground-types such as Mamoswine, Krookodile, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen (although the latter two are covered by Earthquake). Roost allows Mega Aerodactyl to keep its health high, letting it keep threatening the opposing team, while Stealth Rock gives Mega Aerodactyl a way to support the team if the move can't be fit onto the team somewhere else. Pursuit is an option to trap physically frail Pokemon such as Mega Beedrill and Chandelure. Taunt could work in tandem with Roost, allowing Aerodactyl to avoid status moves and block recovery while continually wearing down the opposing team with its high-powered STAB moves. It also stops Defog, which works well for entry hazard-stacking teams. Defog is an option to allow Aerodactyl to get rid of entry hazards; however, it is incompatible with Unnerve. Fire Fang is an option to OHKO Forretress, which would otherwise tank Aerodactyl's moves and OHKO it with Gyro Ball. Crunch gives Aerodactyl an option to hit Doublade harder than Earthquake thanks to the Tough Claws boost, as well as Psychic-types such as Cresselia and Reuniclus.

Hone Claws

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Stone Edge
- Wing Attack/Aqua Tail
- Earthquake/Aqua Tail/Roost

Hone Claws not only boosts Mega Aerodactyl's already sky-high Attack but also prevents its moves from missing. Stone Edge is Mega Aerodactyl's main STAB move and not only hits hard but also benefits from the accuracy boost given from Hone Claws. Wing Attack gets the Tough Claws boost, making it very strong against Fighting- and Grass-types that can tank Stone Edge, such as Shaymin and Chesnaught. Aqua Tail also benefits from Tough Claws, giving Aerodactyl a way around Ground-types that can tank Wing Attack such as Mamoswine, Krookodile, Nidoking, and Nidoqueen. Earthquake can be used to hit Steel-types such as Cobalion and Doublade. Roost gives Aerodactyl a reliable recovery move to continue boosting; however, by running it, Mega Aerodactyl loses out on important coverage. Fire Fang is an option to OHKO Forretress specifically, while Crunch gives Aerodactyl an option to hit Doublade harder than Earthquake thanks to the Tough Claws boost as well as Psychic-types such as Reuniclus.

Bulky

EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Roost
- Toxic/Stealth Rock/Stone Edge
- Stone Edge/Earthquake

Taunt allows Mega Aerodactyl to stallbreak while also avoiding status moves and shutting down setup sweepers. Roost gives Aerodactyl a means of reliable recovery, allowing it to remain a prominent force continuously throughout the battle. Toxic provides Mega Aerodactyl with a way of putting common walls such as Alomomola and Suicune on a timer in conjunction with Taunt to prevent them from using their recovery moves. Alternatively, Stealth Rock can fit here if your team is strapped for slots. Stone Edge is still a pretty powerful STAB move even with minimal investment. Earthquake provides the best neutral coverage alongside Stone Edge while also nailing the Steel- and Poison-types immune to Toxic. Wing Attack can be an option over Stone Edge to still provide decent coverage alongside Earthquake while having more PP.

Also, Iron Head really doesn't need to stay, because it doesn't get STAB (although it's boosted by Tough Claws) and relying on flinches is never a good idea in competitive Pokemon, unless you're playing with a gimmicky team. However, since you mentioned that it's a competitive team, I would recommend any of these moveset, depending on what you're team already has. Thus, I'd suggest that you post your team alongside your original post so if you need help choosing the set I could help you out.

Hope I helped :]