Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

How exactly is STAB damage calculated?
Question 
So, I've been looking at the power of Pokemon attacks, and trying to figure STAB in to it. I have a few questions, and if anyone could answer them that'd be great:
1. Does STAB basically increase the Power of the attack by 50%? For instance, if I was to use Earthquake(which has 100 power), using my Dugtrio, which gains STAB from it, would the Power of Earthquake be 150?

2. How does STAB work with Super-Effectiveness? For instance, let's go back to my Earthquake situation. If Earthquake really does have 150 Power, would Super-Effectiveness be 50% of that, gaining an extra 75 Power for a 225 Power move? Or would it just be 50% of the original 100 again, making it 200 Power? Or am I just doing this wrong?

3.Does STAB nullify Not Very Effectiveness? If a move isn't effective, it drops the Power by 50%, right? And STAB increases the move's Power by 50%, right? So, if I used Earthquake on a Pokemon that was resistant to it, would STAB cancel out the Resistance and make it a regular, 100 Power Earthquake?

If anyone knows the answer to theese questions, please lend a hand and answer them in the commentes below!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
I can answer 3, but I'm not sure about 1 and 2

the answer is not exactly. type matchup damage is calculated before STAB is.

Let's take Aura Sphere (Fighting type, 80 potency)

against an Alakazam, for instance (psychic type), its potency would be halved due to type matchups. However, then STAB is applied, adding 50% of the calculated value to the total. so we end up with

([original potency] * [type matchup multiplier]) * (1 + [STAB bonus])

making the final potency 60, not 80

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of the mechanics.
(Mar 30, 2017, 04:12 PM)Gyousei Wrote: I can answer 3, but I'm not sure about 1 and 2

the answer is not exactly. type matchup damage is calculated before STAB is.

Let's take Aura Sphere (Fighting type, 80 potency)

against an Alakazam, for instance (psychic type), its potency would be halved due to type matchups. However, then STAB is applied, adding 50% of the calculated value to the total. so we end up with

([original potency] * [type matchup multiplier]) * (1 + [STAB bonus])

making the final potency 60, not 80

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's my understanding of the mechanics.

@Gyousei  Thanks for your help! Not all heroes wear capes!

@RetroTyphlosion

1- Yes, it's a 50% boost to affected moves.

2- I'm pretty sure STAB is calculated after the super effective damage, so, in the case of Earthquake for example, it'd be 100 x 2 = 200, then 200 x 1.5 = 300.

3- Same goes for not very effective moves; the damage would be cut in half, then get a boost, so something like 100 / 2 = 50, then 50 x 1.5 = 75.

Not so sure about the last two answers, but I'd assume it's correct for the last one at least since STAB definitely doesn't nullify the not very effective damage, and if it works like this for not very effective then I'd assume it works the same for super effective damage. However, if someone else knows the answer I'd love to know. Hope I was able to help anyways.
(Mar 30, 2017, 04:19 PM)écarlate Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion

1- Yes, it's a 50% boost to affected moves.

2- I'm pretty sure STAB is calculated after the super effective damage, so, in the case of Earthquake for example, it'd be 100 x 2 = 200, then 200 x 1.5 = 300.

3- Same goes for not very effective moves; the damage would be cut in half, then get a boost, so something like 100 / 2 = 50, then 50 x 1.5 = 75.

Not so sure about the last two answers, but I'd assume it's correct for the last one at least since STAB definitely doesn't nullify the not very effective damage, and if it works like this for not very effective then I'd assume it works the same for super effective damage. However, if someone else knows the answer I'd love to know. Hope I was able to help anyways.
Thanks so much for your help!