Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

TSV/ESV Shiny Guide!
Since it seems that a lot of people are unaware of how to get shiny pokemon using the TSV/ESV method, I thought I would create this guide to enlighten you all!

To begin let me explain just what a TSV/ESV is.

TSV = Trainer Shiny Value
ESV = Egg Shiny Value

Both the TSV and ESV are 4 digit hidden values in the pokemon games. Every game has a unique TSV assigned when you start your game where as every egg is also assigned a unique ESV. So long as your TSV matches the ESV of an egg, you are guaranteed a shiny pokemon when the egg hatched. 

Here is an example:
I personally have a TSV of 2377 on my Pokemon Sun game.
I also recieved an egg from a giveaway a while ago with an ESV of 2377. (B1 - 5,2 - Fletchling (♂) - Adamant - Gale Wings - 31.31.22.31.31.31 - Dragon [2377])
When hatching this egg on my Pokemon Sun game I recieved a shiny Fletchling!

Now in order to find out your own TSV and the ESV of any eggs you might have, there are a few things you'll need. First, you will need to download a program called KeySAVe. You will also need a way to back up your game's save file in order to check your game's TSV as well as your Eggs' ESV. To do this you will need to install Homebrew or a CFW (Custom Firmware) onto your 3DS. Since installing a CFW can be dangerous and could potentially brick your 3DS, I will not be going into detail about that. Luckily however, I have created a guide to help you all install Homebrew on your 3DS!

TSV/ESV Checking Guide
First of all, to install the files included in this guide, you will need a way to access your SD card on your computer. 

In most cases you should be able to find an SD card slot on the face of your computer tower near the USB ports. On a laptop The SD card slot will usually be along one of the sides.

If you have a New3DS there is a built in wireless Data Manager in System Settings. Here's a link that will show you how to wirelessly connect to your computer. (Not working on Mac)
http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/...s-xl-and-a

If you do not have a built in SD card slot or a New3DS, you're only other option would be to go out and buy a USB SD card adapter. They are usually less than $10.

STEP 1 - Getting Started
Go here... https://mega.nz/#!GARkBYxQ!yXjYwz2v_xjdu...txhF7VD0Cs to download my SDCard.zip

Extract SDCard.zip to the root of your SD Card.

STEP 2 - Otherapp.bin
Go here. http://smealum.github.io/3ds/#otherapp and you should see "Otherapp/ropbin payloads".

There you will use the drop down boxes to select your Firmware which you can find by opening System Settings on your 3DS. It'll be at the bottom right of your top screen. (Example: Ver. 11.3.0-36U)

Only select NEW if you're using a New3DS. The one with the C-stick just above and slightly left of the X button.
If you're using a 2DS or a 3DS without the C-stick, select OLD.

Then you click "Download otherapp" to download the payload.

When that's done, rename the payload you just downloaded as "otherapp.bin". You can probably leave out the ".bin" part if you have your computer set up to not show file extentions otherwise the ".bin" part will already be there.

Copy the newly named "otherapp.bin" file to the root of your SD card

STEP 3 - SoundHax
Go here... http://soundhax.com/

Select your region. USA, EUR, JPN, KOR 

Select your 3DS Model. NEW 3DS|NEW 3DS XL or OLD 3DS|OLD 3DS XL|2DS

Now Click "DOWNLOAD M4A" it should save as a file called soundhax-usa-o3ds.m4a or something similar.

Copy this file to the root of your SD Card.

STEP 4 - Launching Homebrew
Reinsert your SD card and power on your 3DS and look for the Nintendo 3DS Sound app. It looks like a musical note.

Select /SDCARD

Select <3 nedwill 2016

Your screen should flash different colors and the payload should run. (If the screen freezes for more than 15 second or you recieve an error message, don't be alarmed. This could take a few tries before it actually works.)

If everything was done correctly you should now be in The Homebrew Launcher.

STEP 5 - Using JK's Save Manager (JKSM)
Once you have access to The Homebrew Launcher scroll down until you find JK's Save Manager and press A.

On the main screen of JKSM scroll down to Refresh Games and press A.
If you downloaded any games from the eShop this will let you see them when you select SD/CIA. If you haven't use eShop, don't worry about it.

If you are using a physical game card plugged into your 3DS select Cartridge.

That will bring up a menu saying Save Data Options, Extra Data Options, and Back.

Select Save Data Options.

Next you'll see a menu saying Export Save, Import Save, etc. (Import Save will let you select one of your back up saves created when using Export Save to load into your game allowing you to have multiple saves for a single game! You can use this later.)

Use Export Save to make a back up of your game's save.

When you back up a save, it'll ask you to enter a name for the save. Just enter whatever you'd like.

Once it says Complete you can press B to make your way back to the main screen and then select Exit.

When leaving the Homebrew Launcher press Start and then A to return to your 3DS home menu.

STEP 6 - Using KeySAVe
When you're ready, go here... https://github.com/Cu3PO42/KeySAVe/releases

Download KeySAVe-1.4.0-win32-ia32.zip if you're using a Windows computer.

Download KeySAVe-1.4.0-linux-x64.zip if your using a Linux computer.

Download KeySAVe-1.4.0-darwin-x64.zip if your using a Mac computer.

Once you extract your download there will be a program called KeySAVe.exe. Launch it. This is what you will use to check TSV/ESVs.

Ok, do you have KeySAVe loaded up? Good.

Now go ahead and plug your SD card into your computer. (Or use Data Manager under System Settings if you set up wireless network access earlier [New3DS only])

On KeySAVe click OPEN FILE and find your SD card.

You should see a new folder called JKSV. Inside that is a folder called Saves that's where the backup you just made is. Inside the folder with the name of the back up save you made in Step 5, look for a file called "main". You may need to click the drop down box above the Open and Cancel buttons and select Main File(*.*)

Once you've found the "main" file click Open and Keysave will load your save and populate data for all the pokemon in your Boxes.

That's the Default display. It'll display your pokemon's data like so:
Box - Slot - Species (Gender) - Nature - Ability - HP.ATK.DEF.SPATK.SPDEF.SPE - HP [ESV] 

If you click the OPTIONS tab and then click Formatting Option there are other different outputs. You'll use TSV or TSV (Legacy) to check TSVs. It'll display your pokemon's data as so:
| Box | Slot | OT | TID | TSV |

You can also try the Pretty option for a really nice display. Select the Mark (recommended) option for the best display. This will show all the same data as the Default display as well as an image of each pokemon.

And that's it. You can now check the ESV of any eggs in your boxes and the TSV of any pokemon in your boxes as well. When checking a TSV however you must be certain that the pokemon was caught or bred in the game you want to check. When checking a bred pokemon however it must be hatched in order to display an acurate TSV.

For those of you who may be worried about harming your 3DS using this method, I can assure you there is a 0% chance of harming your system using any of these files and best yet they all work using the latest firmware released by Nintendo. (As of the writing of this guide, the latest official firmware is 11.3.0-36)

If anyone runs into problems following the steps in this guide feel free to PM me and I will do everything I am able to assist you.
Prof. Z at your service!
TSV: 2377(S), 2577(M), 3639(M2)
If this is in violation of any forum rules, I sincerely appologize to the Mods. You are welcome to remove this thread or contact me with any questions or concerns you may have.

I'm just trying to be helpful.  Smile
Prof. Z at your service!
TSV: 2377(S), 2577(M), 3639(M2)