Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Nature and Hidden Power
How to choose a suitable nature and hidden power for your pokemon ?

1. Nature
I know some will say, it depends on what you want but I dont really know what i want, sometimes haha.
Example :
Mega-Kangaskhan Adamant vs Jolly vs Impish vs Careful, which one is more important ? I cant really decide.
Do i need a bulky kangaskhan or a speedy kangaskhan or a full offensive kangaskhan. Which one is more important ?

2. Hidden Power
I dont really know how to choose the most suitable hidden power for my pokes too..
Example:
Thundurus, it is weak against rock/ice
Shouldnt it get Hidden Power (fighting) ? Since fighting type is 2x against its two weakness? But from what i observe, more people have Hidden Power (ice) on their thundurus. I dont get this...

Thanks for reading! Please share your experience/knowledge and thoughts on this topic with me. Thank you!
Your nature should depend on what you want to be surviving, as with your EVs. Generally you want to have a positive nature to the stat for which you have the highest base stat. But you may chose to have a positive nature to be able to have a higher value in that stat than is possible with a neutral nature and max investment. So Jolly may be used on Kangaskhan to be able to outspeed particular Pokemon like other positive natured base 100s like M Gardevoir, but it may chose Adamant to secure KOs it otherewise wouldn't. Generally Adamant is used for Kangaskhan as priority helps to outspeed certain threats and Jolly is only really used where outspeeding other Kangaskghan is important to make sure your team mate isn't faked out. Impish and Careful are used less often in VGC (which is what I'm assuming you are talking about as you mentioned Kang), and are only really ever used where the base stat of that particular stat is particularly high for a certain Pokemon, or where that nature is necessary to be able to survive a certain hit. For example Thundurus often run Calm to be able to survive common special attackers attacks like Specs Sylveon, Aegislash and Hydreigon.

Hidden power is far more straightforward. For VGC there are only few viable hidden powers. These are Ice, Ground, Grass, Fire and the occasional Flying. They are used to surprise enemies who believe wall you, like Landorus-T completely walls non HP Ice Thundurus. Using HP fighting on Thundurus doesn't make sense as it gets Focus Blast with double its base power (though granted at a lower accuracy). But instead of trying to beat Rock and Ice types, you should have team members which counter them. Plus in VGC there are few viable Ice types, so you will often survive most Ice type attacks. The same is sort of true with rock types.
Additionally it's good to point out that nature raises stats by a percentage, so in most situations you should nature for one of your higher stats and use EV's to raise lower stats that you find a reason to buff.
(Oct 16, 2015, 02:32 PM)bradar485 Wrote: Additionally it's good to point out that nature raises stats by a percentage, so in most situations you should nature for one of your higher stats and use EV's to raise lower stats that you find a reason to buff.

I mentioned that in my second sentence :P
I. Am a poor student when skimming through things.

And. Just wanted to feel important XD.

You were very thorough. Respect achieved.
(Oct 16, 2015, 03:34 PM)bradar485 Wrote: I. Am a poor student when skimming through things.

And. Just wanted to feel important XD.

You were very thorough. Respect achieved.

Lmao I like being thorough Smile Hopefully I answered any questions OP might have. In short, the nature depends on what exactly you want the Pokemon to be able to do and some benchmarks are only obtainable through a particular nature.
(Oct 16, 2015, 03:37 PM)RebornFX Wrote: Lmao I like being thorough Smile Hopefully I answered any questions OP might have. In short, the nature depends on what exactly you want the Pokemon to be able to do and some benchmarks are only obtainable through a particular nature.

Yeap, you did answer my question perfectly clear ! And sorry for not replying earlier, its very rude of me to do that Sorry ! Thank you too, both of you.

And i've rated you both, you guys are awesome !
(Oct 19, 2015, 01:06 AM)markings Wrote:
(Oct 16, 2015, 03:37 PM)RebornFX Wrote: Lmao I like being thorough Smile Hopefully I answered any questions OP might have. In short, the nature depends on what exactly you want the Pokemon to be able to do and some benchmarks are only obtainable through a particular nature.

Yeap, you did answer my question perfectly clear ! And sorry for not replying earlier, its very rude of me to do that Sorry ! Thank you too, both of you.

And i've rated you both, you guys are awesome !

Thanks a lot! :D Glad I could help. And no worries haha