Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[News] Nintendo's newest console revealed! + DeNA partnership
I don't really know why everyone is freaking out (not here necessarily, but around the internet). This is not Nintendo "going mobile". If Iwata was ousted, that might be the planned trajectory, but this is an appeasement move for the shareholders to get off his back and give him breathing room while Nintendo explores ways to take advantage of the mobile surge and keep their product line and console integrity in check. So you see Pokemon Shuffle 2 and Mario Tipping Stars on android and iphone in a few months. Mario Galaxy 2 or Zelda Wii 3 isnt coming to phones ever. Your console purchases are safe internet; your New 3DS buy is far from "wasted".

What was most interesting to me about this DeNA deal is that Nintendo acquired 10-12% of the company and retains full supervision over any of its IP's. Nintendo is not one to slouch or let it by the wayside when they let 3rd parties use their IP's (Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Anything HAL does, Mario Party, and of course GameFreak) and I am kind of wondering if Nintendo isn't shopping for a GameFreak replacement of sorts for titles which may or may not include Pokemon. Best case scenario they found a talented group like Monolith or Retro that can do high grade quality work, worst case they expand their exposure - sell a few mobile titles - and bank some extra cash.

I'm not sure what to think about this NX though. The picture floated is way fake, because no retail unit would ever use those colors while taking itself seriously as a mainline console. Teal + purple just doesn't appeal to consumers. "Fusion" was mentioned forever ago with SMT X FE and we have not heard anything since. I'm not gonna get excited about anything until something substantial is leaked or we get to E3 2016. In the meantime, seeing what the internet makes into a mountain out of this will placate me just fine.
The only time Nintendo has announced a console this soon into the generation was with the Virtual Boy. This actually makes me really afraid for Nintendo especially since the Wii u is finally starting to pick up steam.
#TeamForum
LETS GO SOX
Iwata stated that the only reason they announced the NX at the same time was to ensure people that them entering the mobile market wasn't a sign that Nintendo was giving up on the home console market.

The NX, more info next year, then at the earliest, it'll be released in 2017/2018 thus keeping to Nintendos 5 year minimum console life cycle. nothing to worry about.
(Mar 18, 2015, 02:03 PM)GamerXiphos Wrote: Iwata stated that the only reason they announced the NX at the same time was to ensure people that them entering the mobile market wasn't a sign that Nintendo was giving up on the home console market.

The NX, more info next year, then at the earliest, it'll be released in 2017/2018 thus keeping to Nintendos 5 year minimum console life cycle. nothing to worry about.
yeah that was a smart choice
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
Great. Spent two years saving up for a Wii U and Nintendo decides to make a newer console. This happened to me with the 3DS and now this. Why is Nintendo turning into Apple?!?!?!
(Mar 18, 2015, 06:11 PM)Positron38 Wrote: Great. Spent two years saving up for a Wii U and Nintendo decides to make a newer console. This happened to me with the 3DS and now this. Why is Nintendo turning into Apple?!?!?!

dont worry pos its gonna be a year or two until this actually comes out, nintendo is in a wierd phase were they dont truly understand what their next step is so their trying not to be brash about the decisions they make
~Visit PokemonForever's Twitter Page~
Ha! You've underestimated my stupidity.
~Virtual Polygon Duck of Team Forum~
If they hadn't decided to start making mobile games, we'd never have known about the NX project until at least next year, could have even been 2017 before we even heard about this if they hadn't announced mobile games at the same time.