Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Not an expert
I'm not that good with vgc neither team building. I have donever some smog on but vgc seems fun to me. Any tips or anything?
There are many team building guides here on the site, also if you cant bother scrolling through the forum to find one Im pretty sure that there is a video guide on Justin's youtube channel on how to become a pro player which includes team building
Eckley is best grill
Go on and on, grow into a phenomenon
Honestly I would recommend using somebody else's team and trying to ladder a bit on Pokemon Showdown. After around a 1200 rating you should start seeing people using serious teams and take a note of what their Pokemon are doing. Take a look at some of the builds we have on this site or the Smogon Strategy Dex for the format you are interested in if you're unsure of what certain Pokemon carry. For example, someone new to VGC probably wouldn't expect a Suicune to use Tailwind, which could catch you off guard.

Once you have a basic understanding of the format and the game in general, watch some videos on battles and teambuilding. The way people often build is starting with a core/Mega and patching its weaknesses. As for sets, feel free to use the ones already posted on here, that's kind of why they were posted. Then again if a different EV spread helps a Pokemon take on another Pokemon which is a particular threat to your team otherwise, feel free to change it.

Other than that, keep testing. Try new things, experiment and just have fun with it. I would recommend straying away from gimmicks, as they're often shut down incredibly easily and even though you will more than likely get caught off guard and beaten by something like Spinda Arcanine on the lower ladder because you don't know the gimmick, once you are more familiar with the format you realise how easily shut down it is.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I don't consider myself an expert, or even particularly good but I'd say I'm very familiar with VGC and pretty familiar with Smogon.
^ This

If you need more teams i have some in stock. I'll explain the tactics behind them too.

But reborn is so right in this, using someone elses team to see how it works and then try to figure out your own team is the best way to learn IMO.
Shachi's a monster to go against -  wpendragon

Semolina pilchard, climbing up the Eiffel Tower. Elementary penguin singing Hari Krishna.
Man, you should have seen them kicking Edgar Allan Poe.