Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] First Kanto Classic Team Draft
As the title suggests, this is the first draft of the team I'm putting together for the Kanto Classic. If you're not familiar with what the Kanto Classic is, it's a competition that's at the end of the month where you can only use Kanto region Pokémon, minus Mewtwo and Mew, and you can't use any items. I think that it's a neat idea for a tournament so I figured why not. Again, this is the first draft of my team. I didn't have one specific strategy in mind, I just wanted to build a team that was well-rounded in terms of utility and type coverage. Any feedback is appreciated!

Clefable
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 59
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Soft-Boiled

I have a feeling that a lot of people are going to be using Clefable in this tournament, and for good reason. It's bulky, has access to status recovery moves like Aromatherapy and Heal Bell to support it's teammates, can use Calm Mind to increase it's special attack and defense, and doesn't have a whole of Pokémon that can counter it in the Kanto Pokédex. Once Clefable gets a Calm Mind or two off, it can sweep through a majority of Pokémon in it's path.

Venusaur
Ability: Overgrow
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

To answer opposing Clefable, I put Venusaur on my team. Besides launching off STAB boosted Sludge Bombs, Giga Drain/Leech Seed gives Venusaur more time on the field, along with putting opposing Pokémon to sleep with Sleep Powder to stop the opponent's momentum in their tracks.

Dragonite
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Along with Clefable, Dragonite will be on many teams as well. Dragon Dance allows Dragonite to set up for powerful Dragon Claws. Extreme Speed gives it a priority move, and I choose Fire Punch to cover Clefable against Pokémon that would normally threaten it, like opposing Venusaur, Exeggutor, and Magneton.

Starmie
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

I wanted a solid water-type Pokémon on my team and ended up going with Starmie for a couple reasons. First, having a STAB boosted Psychic attack takes care of Poison-types that threaten Clefable, especially Gengar, which I have a feeling I'll see a lot of. Also, having access to Ice Beam and Thunderbolt gives Starmie great move coverage to take on many different types of Pokémon.

Arcanine
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Close Combat
- Extreme Speed
- Crunch

I needed a strong Fire-type Pokémon and didn't do with Charizard because I already have a Flying-type with Dragonite. Arcanine also gives me access to Intimidate, hindering opposing physical attackers like Dragonite. Arcanine also gets good move coverage with Close Combat and Crunch, which takes out Alakazam, while Extreme Speed gives me a priority move.

Magneton
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Tri Attack

Magneton is, to me, a Pokémon that will be overlooked in this tournament. It has a nice spot on my team though. It has nice synergy with Clefable and Dragonite. With the lack of Steel-types in Kanto, Magneton was really the only viable option for the sixth slot on my team. I'm a little torn on using Tri Attack however. I wasn't sure what move to use in the fourth spot.
I also submitted a thread for rating my own team. I followed everyone's suggestions and tried them out on Pokemon Showdown under the Kanto Classic format. I saw that I was losing a lot of battles. I then tried out my original team and had a better time dealing with the enemies. So I would use your current team in Showdown and see if it works for you.
The minute you think of giving up, think of the reason why you held on so long.
What about hp fire instead of tri attack?

EDIT: I forgot is it doubles?
I'd go with HP ground instead of HP Fire. You need something to hit the ever common Jolteon.
(Feb 3, 2016, 08:32 PM)AttilatheFun87 Wrote: What about hp fire instead of tri attack?

No, individual 6 Vs 6
(Feb 3, 2016, 08:53 PM)andre_2112 Wrote:
(Feb 3, 2016, 08:32 PM)AttilatheFun87 Wrote: What about hp fire instead of tri attack?

No, individual 6 Vs 6

well that kinda poops on all my team plans
Running HP Ground or Fire is a good idea! I just realized that I had no Ground-type moves on my team. I'm thinking of using Earthquake on Dragonite instead of Fire Punch.
I'd say go with EQ over fire punch. The only reason to use fire punch is to hit bulky steel types. There's only Magneton to fit that, and EQ hits it just as hard. As far as grass types go, Venasaur is really the only one being ran with any consistency, and EQ hits that harder than fire punch anyways. It will also give you something to hit Jolteon with.
EQ over Fire Punch on Dnite is way better.