Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Getting Back into VGC after focusing on the TCG
Hey everyone, so just like the title says, I'm getting back into VGC with the release of Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. I was heavily into VGC during XY and I played a bit when Sun and Moon released last year, but I've been focusing primarily on the TCG side of things for the past year or so. I'm starting to build my first team and wanted some advice from those who have been following VGC lately.

Naganadel @ Life Orb
Ability: Beast Boost
Level: 50
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Protect

Bisharp @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Knock Off
- Protect

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Muddy Water
- Dazzling Gleam
- Ice Beam

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Protect

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Knock Off
- Protect

I wanted to use Naganadel so I started by thinking of who would be great to pair it with and decided on Bisharp. It is immune to Psychic-type attacks that would normally knockout Naganadel, and can OHKO opposing Psychic-types with Sucker Punch/Knock Out. It also deal with Fairy-types which is great against the Tapus. From there, I didn't have any particular game plan when it came to choosing my other Pokemon, I made my choices based on coverage. Alolan Marowak and Tapu Fini provide good coverage, I feel like Mega Kangaskhan is pretty much a staple with it back in the format, along with Landorus. I'm not good with IV spreads so I just went with the 252/252/4 spread so if there are specific spreads that you think are optimal let me know!
It's really difficult to give feedback since the format hasn't started yet so we really don't know what will be good and not.

I see Naganadel's niche as being a Tailwind setter, so I would go with that over Dragon Pulse because Dragon STAB just isn't as good as previous formats with all the fairies and misty terrain. 84 HP, 252 SpA, 172 Spe with Timid nature gives a SpA boost from Beast Boost, which is preferred with Tailwind. Fire Blast over Flamethrower is also an option.

This also works well considering u have Fake Out support from M-Kangaskhan, so Mega Kangaskhan+Naganadel can be your lead/core.

After Kangaskhan lost Power-Up Punch, Double Edge is the premier STAB because it deals more damage unboosted. Also with Fake Out, putting Low Kick over Protect is usually preferred. Early Bird is quite cheesy against Spore and what not, but Scrappy is usually the most consistent choice. But we won't know until we see how the format will shape out.

Landorus' Intimidate and Bisharp's Defiant supports Kangaskhan well, however I don't know how good Bisharp will be in practise, considering Heatran and Blacephelon and what not. I would probably replace Marowak with something because it doesn't fit well with Tailwind. Tapu Fini is a solid mon so that should be fine, Choice Specs+Tailwind seems strong so.

Hard to say much more since we know so little of the format yet.

Cheers
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda