Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] Battlespot Singles?
I was planning on running this team on the Battle Spot, or just with randoms in the FP so I can bring all 6. 

This team has its strenghts and weaknesses. The places I've seen it most falter is against any Psychic type (notably Mega Mewtwo Y, Necrozma, bulky Reuniclus. Alakazam is pretty manageable, so are Mega Slowbro and Slowking.) 
This team also has trouble with switch-ins, especially since Lapras is too slow to outspeed any Dragonite, Garchomp, or Flygon on the field. 
One final thing I've seen with this team is that it's slow. It's difficult to get a Pokemon to outspeed most of the time, and I'm usually relying on priority for kills.

Team below:

[Image: latest?cb=20170407224520]
Metagross @ Air Balloon  
Ability: Clear Body  
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Iron Head
- Bullet Punch  
- Zen Headbutt  
- Earthquake   
  • I ended up soft-resetting for an Adamant Beldum from Steven's house in ORAS and trading it over to Sun and Moon. I gave it Iron Head before switching it over, as Iron Head was only a move tutor move in ORAS and I prefer its accuracy to Meteor Mash. I can salvage its IVs with bottle caps eventually, but I really wanted the move tutor move. 

• Bullet Punch is priority to finish off mons, and it also helps break Mimikyu's disguise - one thing I've noticed though is that ESPECIALLY scarfed Mimikyu can outspeed B-Punch Metagross with Shadow Sneak, BUT Metagross can survive a swords dance shadow sneak from a fully invested Atk Adamant Mimikyu. So I guess there's that. B-Punch does OHKO Mimikyu (most likely 0 investments in defense) once disguise is broken.

• Zen Headbutt is for STAB. I wish there was something better to check accuracy, but special M-gross is not my cup of tea here.

• I chose Earthquake over Hammer Arm for coverage. Earthquake has actually proven to have been the better choice in many situations, and with Metagross's attack stat, without STAB its Earthquake isn't something to laugh about. 
EVs: I chose to put 252 in Atk because of obvious reasons. Instead of giving it 252 in HP like most Metagross run, I gave it 252 in Def to add to its already great defense. 4 SpD was added just to give it a little edge.

Other problems: It got OHKO'd by a Flamethrower from a LO Blaziken once.

Item choice: I gave it an Air Balloon to help it out with one of its more common weaknesses. I could always replace this item, however. I felt like banded/life orb gross was too limiting, so I chose something to help it live longer rather than dish out more damage.

[Image: 555.png]
Darmanitan @ Choice Band  
Ability: Sheer Force  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Adamant Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Earthquake  
- Superpower  
- Rock Slide/Zen Headbutt

When showing this team to somebody, they said I really needed a Wall-breaker. I preferred the coverage Darmanitan offered compared to Chandelure (this team desperately needed some STAB Fire) 

• Flare Blitz + Sheer Force makes for a great combo. STAB + Sheer Force boost. I don't really think I need to say anything else about this move.
  • Earthquake is for coverage. Definitely a good thing to have, especially so Darmanitan can switch into other fire types if needed. It also opens doors for Darmanitan to deal with Alolan Golem + Raichu if absolutely needed. 
  • Superpower is another coverage move. I needed a strong fighting move somewhere on the team.
  • I prefer Zen Headbutt to Rock Slide, but I can see situations where either could be viable. 
EVs: 252 Atk obvious is obvious
252 in HP, since it's Darmanitans really only other "high" stat. 
4 SpD instead of Def, since its defense is crap. I could also give those 4 points to Spe instead.

Problems: Strong physical Pokemon. Darmanitan just shatters to EQ, Rock Slide, or Waterfall/Aqua Tail.

Item Choice: Darmanitan has a scary attack stat when banded. The only issues I've had are switching out and back in to reset the band (as switching in/out with Darmanitan is risky)

[Image: latest?cb=20150912185616]
Lapras @ Leftovers  
Ability: Water Absorb  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA  
Modest Nature  
- Thunderbolt
- Surf  
- Ice Beam  
- Ice Shard

• Thunderbolt is a good option for other water types (and works SUPER well with Water Absorb), and deals with Gyarados. It also resists Ice Fang/EQ Gyarados, which is something most Electric types fear. I also prefer T-Bolt over Freeze Dry, although Freeze Dry could deal with some possible threats such as Swampert and Quagsire.
  • Surf - STAB water type move with 100% accuracy. 
  • Ice Beam - more accurate than Blizzard, also STAB. 
    • 252+ SpA Lapras Ice Beam vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 292-348 (158.6 - 189.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
    • 252+ SpA Lapras Ice Beam vs. 44 HP / 0 SpD Salamence-Mega: 280-336 (159 - 190.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (m-mence cannot OHKO Lapras w/o a Dragon Dance)
    • 252+ SpA Lapras Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mudsdale: 146-174 (83.4 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    • 252+ SpA Lapras Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Guzzlord: 210-248 (63.6 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

• Ice Shard is nice for priority finishes, and I gave a 4 Atk in EVs for a boosted Ice Shard. This move can always be replaced if anybody has better suggestions.
EVs: 252 HP for Lapras' already great HP stat. 252 SpA for its special moves, along with a 4 Atk for Ice Shard. I can always redistribute if I need Lapras to be bulkier or if Ice Shard is a dumb move that I should replace.

Item Choice: I find leftovers the best to run on this set, but back when I ran a full SpA Lapras on X/Y, I ran a weakness policy and it proved to be very good as well. I'm also considering an Iceium Z to ensure OHKOs on bulkier dragons if they happen to have SpD ivestments. (Aka please tell me which item fits this set best)

Problems: SWITCHING IN. Lapras can take a hit, but most everything in the metagame outspeeds it before it can even get an Ice Beam off. The best way to use this thing is by sacrafice play, which can be risky at times due to losing a Pokemon you may need at some other point in the match. ure, there are other Water/Ice types, but I feel like Lapras does the best job out of all of them. I am open to hearing suggestions for a Lapras replacement, though.

[Image: show?1478676854]
Palossand @ Wiki Berry  
Ability: Water Compaction  
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Giga Drain  
- Earth Power  
- Shadow Ball  
- Shore Up  

Honestly, I need the most help with this Pokemon. 

• Giga Drain is for coverage and recovery. However, I feel like Giga Drain doesn't really work, because Palossand isn't that bulky and it has a ton of common weaknesses. I really wish Water Compaction gave this thing an immunity to water, it'd really help the poor guy out.
  • Earth Power is the best special ground STAB you can give this thing.
  • Shadow Ball is STAB 
  • Shore Up is for recovery after popping the Wiki Berry
EVs: 252 Def to help it survive a little bit longer. Its SpD is crap, and even with Amnesia it's shaky at best. 252 SpA obvious is obvious. I gave the last 4 to SpD, but like I said, it's SpD is crap and doesn't really help it.

Item Choice: I felt like a berry was best for this guy, and giving it the Wiki berry seemed like the best option. I am also really considering trying out a Passho berry to activate Water Compaction, since Shore Up already offers potential recovery.

Problems: Water, Grass, Dark, Lunala. At least it can potentially wall Solgaleo. Kartana is also an issue with beast boosted leaf blade.

I don't know if I should keep the set how it is now, add the Passho berry, or just make it more bulky. Or even replace it with something different. I really needed the ghost/ground coverage, though.

[Image: 715.gif]
Noivern @ Choice Specs/Dragonium Z
Ability: Infiltrator  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Air Slash  
- Dragon Pulse  
- Flamethrower  
- Roost  

I LOVE this Noivern set, and I've been running the same one since X/Y. I considered running an Adamant M-Scale D-Nite in place of this thing, but the flying coverage REALLY helps. This thing is also FAST - It outspeeds Crobat and Weavile with Spe investments. 

• Air Slash - STAB, usually always goes first thanks to Noiverns speed, and can cause the foe to flinch. It's super helpful and super clutch at times. 
  • I prefer Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor, as Noivern is a little bit of a Glass Cannon, and I really would prefer to not have to switch it out. D-pulse Devestating Drake would also be a super good option and replacement for D-Meteor.
  • Flamethrower is good for coverage, and is also run on most typical Special Noivern sets.
  • Roost is for recovery, but I'm also open to more move suggestions for this last slot.
EVs: 252 SpA obvious is obvious, 252 Spe for outspeeding just about anything in the metagame, and 4 SpD for good measure.

Item Choice: This set works well with either Specs or a Z crystal, but I can't really decide which one to use.

Problems: Ice types, Accelrock, trick room, Weavile (carries Ice Shard and can still OHKO Noivern)

[Image: 466.png]
Electivire @ Life Orb  
Ability: Motor Drive  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Thunder Punch  
- Fire Punch  
- Brick Break  
- Ice Punch 

I thought Electivire would be a nice way to wrap up this team, as well as add some more coverage.

• Thunder Punch is STAB. I thought Electivire would be best run with a Life Orb (instead of band/scarf), and thought Wild Charge produced too much recoil on top of the life orb damage.
  • Fire Punch for coverage.
  • Ice Punch for ground types, if it should ever have to go against one.
  • Brick Break is good to shatter reflect/light screen, and also offers a decent fighting type move for coverage.
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 SpD. Should be fairly obvious.

Item Choice: I think a Life Orb would be great, but a choice scarf would also work here. The only problem I have with choice items for Electivire is that since it has so much coverage, it'd be limiting to switch out or have to lock myself into something if it's my only Pokemon left.

Problems: Speedy Gchomp, anything with a high physical attack stat that can carry Earthquake.
Thanks for looking at my team! I hope my explanations were detailed enough for someone to get an idea of what I'm trying to go for. I don't know if I should add more bulk, add another special attacker, revamp some parts of my team? I'm not sure. I really don't want a cleric on my team, I would rather have more coverage than less.

I'm honestly open to any suggestions, and any given at all are appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read Smile
@geetry Here's my tips....
1. Add some bulk. Every team needs defense, and you're team no offense) is kind of lacking. I suggest a Porygon2, Celesteela, or Gigalith.

​​​​2.  If speed is your issue, try a Trick Room. Sure, Noivern and maybe Electivire won't like it, and you'll probably need to replace a Pokemon, but it might be worth it. I suggest Porygon2 or Mimikyu.

3. If you need Psychic-type coverage, try a Dark Type. Maybe an Absol, Silvally with a Dark Memory, or a Weavile. Heck, if you want to try a Houndoom, I'd trade you one.

4. Practice with your team! Figure out what works best, and tailor your team to match. And use the advice of Karen of the Elite Four, and win with your favorites. Just use what you like!

Hope this helps!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
(Apr 13, 2017, 06:25 PM)RetroTyphlosion Wrote: @geetry Here's my tips....
1. Add some bulk. Every team needs defense, and you're team no offense) is kind of lacking. I suggest a Porygon2, Celesteela, or Gigalith.

​​​​2.  If speed is your issue, try a Trick Room. Sure, Noivern and maybe Electivire won't like it, and you'll probably need to replace a Pokemon, but it might be worth it. I suggest Porygon2 or Mimikyu.

3. If you need Psychic-type coverage, try a Dark Type. Maybe an Absol, Silvally with a Dark Memory, or a Weavile. Heck, if you want to try a Houndoom, I'd trade you one.

4. Practice with your team! Figure out what works best, and tailor your team to match. And use the advice of Karen of the Elite Four, and win with your favorites. Just use what you like!

Hope this helps!

I like the idea of a Porygon2, but I wouldn't know where to fit it in on my team. An Absol sounds great (as Weavile and Houndoom are frail), but I also don't know where it'd fit in or who to replace y'know.
I love every part of it and I think you should use zen headbutt instead of rook slide