Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] PFA Week 5 Results: Toronto Maple Leafeons
Week 5 Season 5 of PFA has come to a close. My opponent for this week was Danny of the New York Islandorus. If you are unfamiliar with him, I will tell you that he was the champion of season 4. He must have been pretty good, huh? How did we do against this formidable opponent?

[Image: latest?cb=20140107213614]

The Team Line-ups

My Team : M-Pinsir, Clefable, Zygarde-50%, Empoleon, Arcanine, Hitmontop, Vanilluxe, Dhelmise, Heliolisk, Jellicent, Malamar

Drub87 (New York Islandorus): Necrozma, Excadrill, Amoonguss, Tornadus-I, Ditto, Vikavolt, Sawk, Azumarill Heart , Pyukumuku, Persian-Alola, Froslass

The Game Plan

[Image: clefable.gif]

Tatl (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Flamethrower
- Wish
- Protect

I feel like it is very reasonable to be scared of the unknown. The first Pokemon I chose to use this week was Clefable because of Necrozma. I don't have much experience against it at all. I know there is a popular Weakness Policy set that people use that really benefits Stored Power, so that is why I wanted to use Unaware Clefable. Usually, I've been used it to counter powerful Dragon Dance users, but this week there wasn't one. This Clefable was also meant to stop a Belly Drum Azumarill sweep and Choice Scarf Sawk. Moonblast would be used to damage most things, especially Alolan Persian and Sawk. Flamethrower would be used to hit Excadrill and Amoonguss. My team had a big issue with Excadrill this week. It's coverage and speed tier made it a pain to build against. Wish and Protect would be used for support and recovery on Clefable, as well as for scouting purposes. This works especially well against possible Choice Scarf users.

Offensive Calcs:

0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Excadrill: 92-110 (49.4 - 59.1%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Clefable Flamethrower vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 56-68 (25.4 - 30.9%) -- 3.6% chance to 4HKO after Black Sludge recovery
0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Sawk: 132-156 (88 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

Defensive Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 76 SpD Clefable: 138-164 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Sawk Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Clefable: 86-102 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 180+ Def Clefable: 134-158 (66.3 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

[Image: vanilluxe.gif]

Soft Serve (Vanilluxe) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Signal Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Flash Cannon

Obligatory Vanilluxe here! It has a great matchup against his whole team. I had Blizzard for a powerful STAB move. Signal Beam was a bit of a random choice. I considered Water Pulse before, but realized it didn't do more to Excadrill than Blizzard. The only things Signal Beam really hits are Necrozma, which might activate a Weakness Policy, and Alolan Persian. Freeze-Dry could hit Azumarill and Pyukumuku for supereffective. Flash Cannon would help against Ditto switching in on Vanilluxe and Froslass.

Offensive Calcs:

252 SpA Vanilluxe Blizzard vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Pinsir-Mega: 182-216 (117.4 - 139.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Important for Ditto matchup.
252 SpA Vanilluxe Freeze-Dry vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 128-152 (68.4 - 81.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage
252 SpA Vanilluxe Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Pyukumuku: 84-102 (51.8 - 62.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Vanilluxe Blizzard vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tornadus: 200-236 (129.8 - 153.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Vanilluxe Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Froslass: 108-128 (74.4 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Vanilluxe Blizzard vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 146-174 (66.3 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Black Sludge recovery
252 SpA Vanilluxe Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Vanilluxe: 86-102 (69.3 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Against Vanilluxe Ditto.

[Image: pinsir-mega.gif]

Ludwig (Pinsir) @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
Happiness: 0
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Substitute

Mega Pinsir has fantastic coverage to deal with Danny's team. The biggest issue I could foresee, however, was his Ditto. It could run a Choice Scarf, switch in on my boosted Mega Pinsir, and reverse sweep me. Planning for this, I made sure that my Choice Scarf Vanilluxe could outspeed Mega Pinsir with a Choice Scarf on it by 1 point. Didn't give Mega Pinsir Quick Attack to help out Vanilluxe. Ditto would always fall to Vanilluxe. I calc'd the damage from Blizzard. And lastly, I chose the Frustration route to help Mega Pinsir possibly survive Ditto. Ditto would probably have max happiness, so Frustration would do nothing. The speed tier for this set is a little awkward, but I always have the Showdown Calculator as an option. The Bulk on Mega Pinsir was mainly just to put the EVs (that would've otherwise been in speed) somewhere else. I EV'd it to be able to come in on Stealth Rock twice though and be left with 1 HP.

Frustration was used as a main STAB option. Very powerful. Could sweep through his team easily with a Swords Dance boost. Close Combat was to hit Excadrill and Alolan Persian, which could run Fur Coat. Substitute was my way of dealing with Pyukumuku, which could Toxic my whole team putting them on a timer. It has access to Soak, so not even Empoleon would be safe.

Offensive Calcs:

252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Frustration vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 324-384 (147.2 - 174.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Frustration vs. 252 HP / 228+ Def Pyukumuku: 81-96 (50 - 59.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Aerilate Pinsir-Mega Frustration vs. 252 HP / 144+ Def Necrozma: 205-243 (100.4 - 119.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Pinsir-Mega Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Fur Coat Persian-Alola: 128-152 (74.4 - 88.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Ice Punch vs. 100 HP / 12 Def Pinsir-Mega: 136-160 (88.8 - 104.5%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

[Image: heliolisk.gif]

Geico (Heliolisk) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 244 HP / 4 Def / 12 SpA / 156 SpD / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dark Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch

My favourite set this week. Finally bringing Heliolisk and I wanted to use it to sponge some special attacks from the likes of Tornadus-I, Necrozma, and Vikavolt. Heliolisk is relatively frail on it's physical side, but it has decent special bulk. While being able to hit back with attacks I gave it. Thunderbolt hits most things, but was mainly for Azumarill, Pyukumuku, and Tornadus-I. Interesting thing about Heliolisk is it's ability, Dry Skin. Which allows me to switch in on one of Azumarill or Pyukumuku's Water type attacks (including Soak). This could be useful against Belly Drum Azumarill or Soak shenanigans from Pyukumuku. With Volt Switch, I could come in with Heliolisk on Soak, and go right back into Empoleon SPOILER ALERT! while being able to a good chunk of damage. Hidden Power Fire was coverage against Excadrill, Amoonguss, and Vikavolt. Dark Pulse was a stronger option against Froslass than Hidden Power Fire and could also hit Necrozma supereffectively. I really like this set because it brings out the potential in a Pokemon that you don't see used in such a way.
But against this team, makes so much sense.

Cool Notes:
- Heliolisk's speed stat was just made to outspeed max speed Adamant Excadrill. Which could be worth something if he brought bulky spinner Excadrill.
- If Ditto switches in on Heliolisk, it likely won't have Hidden Power Fire. It would likely be Hidden Power Dark because he would run 6IV Ditto. So my Helioptile would hit his for supereffective due to the Dry Skin ability. And Helioptile also has the Assault Vest. It's a losing battle for Ditto.

Offensive Calcs:

12+ SpA Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tornadus: 146-174 (94.8 - 112.9%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
12+ SpA Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Pyukumuku: 98-116 (60.4 - 71.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12+ SpA Heliolisk Volt Switch vs. 252 HP / 28 SpD Pyukumuku: 74-90 (45.6 - 55.5%) -- 8.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
12+ SpA Heliolisk Thunderbolt vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 150-176 (80.2 - 94.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Defensive Calcs:

252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Assault Vest Heliolisk: 104-125 (61.5 - 73.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Tornadus Hurricane vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Assault Vest Heliolisk: 36-43 (21.3 - 25.4%) -- 1.3% chance to 4HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Heliolisk: 62-73 (36.6 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

[Image: empoleon.gif]

Neptune (Empoleon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Defog
- Aqua Jet
- Ice Beam

If you didn't see this Pokemon coming, your crazy. My only immunity to Pyukumuku's poison. Takes on Azumarill STABs. Takes a Hurricane from Tornadus-I. This thing is the best wall of my team. I wanted my Empoleon to take special hits very well as it walled those threats so nicely. Tornadus-I could go for a Focus Blast, but Empoleon would survive and get big damage off on it. Stealth Rock was pretty much essential for Tornadus-I, Vikavolt, and a possible Sash Froslass. It could also chip down something like Amoonguss which loves to switch in and out due it's ability Regenerator. I wanted to run Defog to get rid of Excadrill or Necrozma's Stealth Rock and Froslass's Spikes. Aqua Jet was chosen to help damage Excadrill before KO'ing Empoleon. Choice Scarf Excadrill could come in and get a kill pretty much every time. Ice Beam would be used to weaken Tornadus-I, another heavy hitting threat. My biggest regret about this set is not having a good way to damage Azumarill or Pyukumuku. This is one reason why I had such synergy between Empoleon and Heliolisk.

Offensive Calcs:

0 Atk Empoleon Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 62-74 (33.3 - 39.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Torrent Empoleon Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 90-108 (48.3 - 58%) -- 93.8% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tornadus: 90-106 (58.4 - 68.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Empoleon Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 216+ SpD Amoonguss: 66-78 (30 - 35.4%) -- 21.5% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Defensive Calcs:

252+ SpA Expert Belt Vikavolt Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Empoleon: 161-190 (84.2 - 99.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Tornadus All-Out Pummeling (190 BP) vs. 252 HP / 228+ SpD Empoleon: 154-182 (80.6 - 95.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 Atk Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 28 Def Empoleon: 158-188 (82.7 - 98.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

[Image: arcanine.gif]

IAmLegendary (Arcanine) @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Substitute
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Toxic

Arcanine was chosen for it's typing offensively and defensively. It could take hits from Amoonguss and Froslass, wall Pyukumuku while putting it on a timer with Toxic, and could sabotage Excadrill and Azumarill with Intimidate. It could also work as a check to Excadrill with Shuca Berry. Being able to take anything it wanted to go for and firing back with a Flare Blitz. Substitute is how I could wall Pyukumuku. The only thing it has to break it is a retaliation move in Counter. Pyukumuku does get access to Taunt, but Arcanine would get Substitute off first because of Pyuku's speed being so low. Morning Sun was added for recovery. Very important since Arcanine was not holding Leftovers. Toxic could put Pyukumuku on a timer making it harder to stall my team with Recover.

Offensive Calcs:

4 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 222-264 (102.3 - 121.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 248 HP / 44 Def Amoonguss: 186-222 (84.5 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
4 Atk Arcanine Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Froslass: 198-234 (135.6 - 160.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive Calcs:

-1 252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuca Berry Arcanine: 73-87 (37 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Mold Breaker Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Shuca Berry Arcanine: 109-129 (55.3 - 65.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 SpA Amoonguss Sludge Bomb vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 54-64 (27.4 - 32.4%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Froslass Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 78-94 (39.5 - 47.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Arcanine: 138-164 (70 - 83.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The Aftermath

Here is the battle link: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7cu...-559590444
Week 5: Toronto Maple Leafeons (AbruptFury) .vs. New York Islandorus (Drub87)
Team Danny brought: Necrozma, Excadrill, Azumarill, Tornadus-I, Amoonguss, Ditto
*Don't read the next spoiler or below unless you want to know the outcome or what I was thinking during the match.*

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm eating some Kraft Dinner right now.
[Image: bd0f44643ba40759f4e9f89bbaf577e3_heyyyy-...0-500.jpeg]

That is all.

Turn by Turn Analysis

This week, the turns won't be all wonky because we're using Showdown. I will once again guide you through my turns. What I was thinking and stuffs. There is a chat this week, however.

*WARNING: The following battle chat may contain coarse language, and memes. Viewer discretion is advised.*

Let's get into it!

Turn 0: Nothing appreciates Vanilluxe, so I thought I would lead it. If he led Excadrill, that might help me determine the moveset. So I lead Vanilluxe while he leads Necrozma.
Turn 1: I want this thing out of the way. It is his S tier. Vanilluxe fires off a Blizzard and freezes Necrozma. Considering how much Blizzard + hail did, I don't think Necrozma could've really accomplished much, unless it was Choice Specs with Power Gem. And it's Morning Sun/Moonlight recovery is reduced by the hail. Nonetheless, I'm sure it still sucked for him.
Turn 2: Danny brings out Azumarill to take the Blizzard. It takes it decently.
Turn 3: I switch into Clefable to tank a hit from Azumarill. Clefable takes the Superpower well.
Turn 4: Because Azumarill's stats have been reduced by it's own Superpower, I expected a switch into either Excadrill or Amoonguss. So I have Clefable go for Flamethrower. Excadrill switches in and doesn't take it go at all.
Turn 5: I try scouting what kind of Excadrill set this is with Protect. Excadrill goes for Earthquake.
Turn 6: Not feeling threatened by it, I have Clefable stay. It gets hit by Iron Head, but survives and Clefable finishes Excadrill off with Flamethrower. Clefable's first kill of the season. It's about time. I noticed I've been treating this A tier really poorly. Under utilizing it Sad But I digress. In comes Tornadus-I.
Turn 7: I have Clefable go for Protect again to gain back some health through Leftovers and scout which move he goes for. Was also maybe hoping to bait the Z move. Tornadus-I goes for Sludge Wave.
Turn 8: It was really obvious of me, but I switch Empoleon in for Clefable and it takes a Focus Blast.
Turn 9: I didn't have much else I wanted to switch into Tornadus-I. Heliolisk could use it's health. I stay in and Ice Beam and catch the Amoonguss switch in.
Turn 10: To discourage switching (and because I knew I had to sleep fodder something), I have Empoleon go for Stealth Rock before taking the Spore. Come back in, Tornadus-I! I dare ya!
Turn 11: I knew I could take HP Fire from Amoonguss well with Mega Pinsir, so I decided to try and get it in. Amoonguss also switches out, for Necrozma.
Turn 12: It wasn't a great play, but I decided to try setting up with Mega Pinsir to sweep. I say it wasn't a good idea, but it just wasn't gonna happen. I think I was just trying to bait in the Ditto after killing Necrozma or whatever, but Tornadus-I could've switched in and probably have gotten a kill. However, Necrozma wakes up and Power Gems Mega Pinsir into oblivion! I send Heliolisk into what I feel was a good matchup against everything left.
Turn 13: Heliolisk ends up finishing Necrozma in it's first appearance of the season. I'm so happy. Amoonguss enters next.
Turn 14: Fearing Hidden Power Fire, I switch Heliolisk out for Arcanine. Danny makes a good play by going into Azumarill.
Turn 15: I try throwing off a Toxic with Arcanine because I don't want him to expect my Heliolisk or something and lose that. Toxic misses and Azumarill goes for a big Waterfall.
Turn 16: Now I feel safe about switching into Heliolisk as Azumarill goes for Aqua Jet. Absorbed!
Turn 17: I don't think Azumarill is staying in against Heliolisk. It outspeeds and can OHKO it. Sure enough, Azumarill switches to Amoonguss, and I Volt Switch the Amoonguss, sending out Vanilluxe in it's place.
Turn 18: Danny sacs off Azumarill to Vanilluxe's Flash Cannon + hail combo. One kill for Vanilluxe. In comes Tornadus-I.
Turn 19: I wasn't sure if Vanilluxe could finish Tornadus-I off with Blizzard. It probably could've in hindsight. However, I decided I would sac Clefable. Focus Blast misses Clefable...
Turn 20: ...but Sludge Wave doesn't. Clefable goes down. Out comes Heliolisk.
Turn 21: No messing around, I simply have Heliolisk use Thunderbolt. Ditto switches in and I laugh, knowing that Ditto can't do anything to Heliolisk.
Turn 22: Danny realizes this and gets out of there with Volt Switch. He switches into Amoonguss and takes an HP Fire.
Turn 23: I decided to get myself in the best possible position and Volt Switch into Arcanine to sac it. Arcanine falls to Sludge Bomb. But Vanilluxe enters.
Turn 24: At this point, Blizzard probably sweeps his team. Not sure if Ditto can take one. I go for that and Vanilluxe gets it's second kill, eliminating Amoonguss. Ditto hits the field.
Turn 25: Danny makes a weird play by switching into Tornadus-I. It goes down to Blizzard. Giving Vanilluxe it's third kill of the battle.
Turn 26: Finally, Ditto uses Flash Cannon, telling me indefinitely that it was Choice Scarf'd. Ditto falls to Blizzard. Vanilluxe wins us the game with 4 kills!

In Conclusion

The Toronto Maple Leafeons are 4-1. Recovered from the loss we faced last week. Good game, @Drub87 ! The freeze turn 1 was pretty unlucky, but I don't know if it was really game-changing. At best, I think it might've made my Tornadus-I matchup harder at the end. Some damage off on Vanilluxe with Power Gem would've hurt, Mega Pinsir would've still been alive because I wouldn't have tried to have set up on Necrozma, but Vanilluxe probably would've gone down to Ditto later on with the previous damage from Necrozma. I still had a pretty healthy Heliolisk though.

I think you played really well. I didn't question most of your plays or I could understand why you made all of them. I might've just had the matchup with certain team members of mine.

Thank you for reading my report. I hope enjoyed, and maybe even learned something from it. Stay tuned for week 6. The halfway point of the season!

Credit
- @Wenwuk helped me gen my team this week since I was having complications with my Pokebank subscription running out. Unfortunately, it never ended up being used because Danny and I played on Pokemon Showdown. I'm still thankful for the effort Smile
- Azumarill. Thank you for your sacrifice so that I could win this week. You are the best Pokemon ever ;-;