Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SUN/MOON] Pokemon Sun and Moon First Impressions
Alright, so I decided to go a post talking about my first impressions with Pokemon Sun and Moon and what I have seen changed from previous games until now. a lot has changed this generation with both games but I will only point out the main things that have changed in Pokemon Sun and Moon.

THE STORY

In my opinion, the story has changed a lot in this gen games like in other Pokemon Games the story wasn't as interesting to me personally but in Pokemon Sun and Moon, the story is a lot more interesting and also gives you a look at what personality each character has in the game. all you need to know is that the story is just interesting and has a lot of twist and turns.

NEW POKEMON

Another thing that I have seen changed in Pokemon Sun and Moon is there is A LOT of New Pokemon But Some of the Pokemon are version exclusive so for example like if you have Pokemon moon you can get Alohan Sandshrew and in Sun you can get Alohan Vulpix so it varies depending on the version you have. But I noticed that some Pokemon from previous gens are hard to find like for an example you have a 1% chance of finding a salamence in the game so that's 1 out of every 5 times you run in the grass you might find one. so some of the old gen Pokemon are very rare to find in sun and moon.
Here is a link to serebii it shows all the exclusive pokemon that are in each of the versions of the game.
Link: http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/exclusives.shtml
NEW ONLINE BATTLE SYSTEM

The Online Battle System In Pokemon Sun and Moon is now called the festival plaza it's a lot more different from what we are all used to the PSS from past games but you are basically in this plaza and you can basically buy stuff with this currency in the plaza called FC the way you can get FC coins is by talking to guest in the plaza and you can use those coins to buy stuff in the different shops that have set up in the plaza. In my opinion if I could compare this with the PSS I would say i like the PSS more better because it was easier to navigate around in and it made it convenient when you wanted to battle your friends or just trade but with the Festival Plaza you have to stop in the middle of your game and go in and then battle or trade that's something I am not a fan of is having to stop in the middle of your game to actually battle and trade it's just difficult to navigate around as it almost took me 20 or 30 mins just to find out how you request a battle with your friends. but as far as the online battles go I actually like the online battles the quality and layout is better than last gens online battle layout was.

OVERALL FIRST IMPRESSIONS

My overall thoughts on the game is that the game is amazing and just awesome all around the only downside is just the Online Battle System and the rare chances of finding some old gen Pokemon but that's about it.

* I WILL UPDATE THIS POST AS I GO THROUGH THE GAME AND FIND OUT ABOUT NEW THINGS*

What are your thoughts on Pokemon Sun and Moon So far???
i give the game a 8.5/10 because the cut scenes were to Long 
i havent done post game yet buy i might make it a higher or lowerscore overall the game wasnt to short or too long at all
(Nov 22, 2016, 11:39 PM)Jirachi Wrote: i give the game a 8.5/10 because the cut scenes were to Long 
i havent done post game yet buy i might make it a higher or lowerscore overall the game wasnt to short or too long at all

yeah that's understandable
Hmmm My Thoughts On Pokemon Sun/Moon

STORY: It was good compared to what we've had recently ( I still kinda like B/W & B2/W2 for their stories ). I just found that at some points it felt as though the pacing was a bit a slow and the climax was well fairly anticlimactic tbh.

REGION: The Alola region is by far the most fleshed out of all. It was fun exploring Alola and seeing the differences from one island to another

POKEMON: The designs of the new pokemon native to this region were spot on this time. Also the regional variants of some Kanto pokemon also add to the feel of the Alola region. I guess it's a bit of a shame we didn't get a few new mega pokemon this time around. And well finally we have the ultra beast, their over the top designs suit the sort of terror they were to bring to Alola, I just feel as though they were under utilized in the story of the game.

NEW MECHANICS AND SYSTEMS : I'll be honest I like festival plaza....but I believe it should have been separate from the online battle system, 6th gen was more streamlined. Anyways, the festival plaza is nice with the minigames and the shops I found it quite addicting. Poke Pelago is another great addition that takes a load off when it comes to hatching and training pokemon which is needed considering that we are over 800 pokemon now

Overall i'd give Sun and Moon a 9/10. The games are great minus a few quirks here and there.
I beat the game the other day and it was AMAZING. Easily the best pokemon game. It contained the best story, alola was an amazing region, and the characters were great (Especially Kukui :3) I dont think the cutscenes were too long. Overall, I give it a strong 9.99/10 (Pulling a detergent commercial, eh? Anyone get it? No? Ok...)
THE CHARACTERS: The captains and the kahunas are somewhat involved in the story compared to the gym leaders in previous gens (note that I haven't played DPP and BW/2) and for me that's a plus. I rather battle with characters that have personality and involvement in the storyline than those who characters who easily "come and go." And who doesn't love team skull? 

NEW POKEMON: Unpopular opinion perhaps but I'm not a fan of some designs. I love how some pokemons are based from hawaiin lore, but some designs are kind of meh. I wish there were alolan forms from other regions as well. I think this is their way of introducing Pokemon Sun/Moon to Pokemon GO players. Idk. The ultra beasts feel like they don't belong in a pokegame game.

MUSIC: Music is much better compared to gen 6. I constantly find myself humming some of the music from this gen's OST. Team skull and the guardian diety's soundtrack was one of the best I've heard as far as pokemon is concerned.

NEW MECHANICS: There are so many new changes that I love and one of the obvious ones are the trials. The trials are more fun compared to the gyms and the totem pokemon is much harder than gym leaders in previous gens. Though I wish they were more interactive like Mallow's trial being like Cooking Mama. Another mechanic that I love is when you have more than 6 pokemon and you caught a new one, you have the option to put it on your team rather than finding the nearest PC, this feature is very convenient specially in breeding. Also viewing IVs is much better now, feels like this gen was made with competitive battling in mind.

OVERALL: Story, Characters, Music and the new mechanics are great. I just felt some pokemon designs are lackluster and gamefreak's like they're losing ideas. I'd give it an 8/10.

If it's true that DP's going to have a remake, with the changes we have in Sun and moon, I think it's gonna be great (really excited about this one 'cause I've never played this gen)!
I agree with almost everythig you had to say. Especially the Friend Plaza thing.

Characters;
All of the main NPCs are great, for once you actually feel like they have their ownn personalities outside of what Pokemon they carry. The professor is also by far my favorite character in any Pokemon game, ever since he was introduced as the Masked Roayl he was just became the best. He also says "Yeah" and "Oh yeah" all the time, making it impossible to read him without inserting Macho Man Randy Savage's voice.

New Pokemon;
Not too bad, it's still 50/50 IMO, half look greta the other half are just feel lazy or uninspiried. Honestly not that bad.

Music;
IMO this game had the best music.

Trials;
Make me miss GYM battles. It does give Pokemon a fun RPG feel, but it's just not the same.

Online;
I hate the plaza. Well, the mini-games are fun and the whole FC thing is interesting, but considering that PSS was the last thing we had it's outright awful. PSS was so simple and clean, I miss how you could message people on your friends list by using the shout-outs too. It kind of feels like plying disconnected from other people now. Also if serebii is right, depending on your version you can't get certain facilities in the plaza. I have Moon and my friend has Sun. She mostly just catches Mons so she's upset that she can't get QuickBalls without getting it from someone else. While I only breed/EV train my Mons. I don't get the easy access to the EV decrease/increase shops.  Honestly the plaza is a lot of fun even though that.

Overall;
It's an incredibly fun game with some irritating changes. Even then those irritating changes are still fun, so it's really not that bad. The jump to 3D is also amazing, probably still my favrotie 'Mon game so far is we don't count the originals with nostalgia glasses on.
I am honestly really fond of this game. It actually might be my current favorite.

The characters are wonderful. I'm especially fond of Lillie and while it is wayyy too soon to be saying this, I hope she make appearances in future games.

Despite not being skippable, I liked the cutscenes. It really just made it feel like more of a story, rather than some half done plot to force it forward. In the future, for those who don't want to watch however, they might consider a skip cutscene feature.

The music is wonderful. I like listening to most of it.

Trials are a nice departure from the gym system. Now the whole islands feel like "gyms" if you will, rather than go to town, find building, possibly beat some NPCs until building opens. My only complaint is that there aren't enough islands! More trials isn't necessarily a bad things.

Festival Plaza is okay, but I dislike having to stop what I'm doing and then go back and forth from the plaza to use Wi-Fi features. I probably wouldn't mind as much, if it didn't stop us from hatching eggs.
I've really enjoyed the music and story so far. I miss a few of the features from ORAS, but overall I'm pleased with it.
I'm going to just do quick ratings:

Region: 10/10. (So detailed and vibrant. The island concept is really interesting (Only on 2nd Island so far)

New Pokémon: 7/10 for new Pokémon (Not convinced by all of them), 9.5/10 for new Alolan forms (They're so co0o0oo0l, especially Alolan Ninetales)

Character customisation: 9/10! (It's been something I've wanted for a long time, and it's awesome! So many clothes, hairstyles and colours. Bit pricey though early-game.)

New features:

Z-Moves: 8/10 (They look incredible, and are so strong. Maybe too strong but we'll see how they go in online matches)

Rotom Dex: 9/10 (Weirdly, I really like the Rotom talking to you. Bit irritating when it says what you have to do after I've just read a character say it though lol.)

Ultra beasts + Tapus: 10/10 (Really powerful, and their designs are amazing. Tapu Koko and Lele are OP though kappa)

Trials + Totems: 9/10 (Love the totems, makes the "gyms" a bit more challenging than ORAS/XY)

Music: 8/10 (I like it)

Story (So far): 7/10
(The introductory part was FAR too long, but once you get past that it flows nicely)

Characters: 9/10 (Kukui is great. Everyone also seems to be individual, down to the NPCs, rather than just copy pasted across the region)

Online: N/A (Looks interesting, haven't had a chance to make use of it, hopefully it will be as simple and slick as the PSS was)

Overall: 8.5/10
I can't wait to battle online and try out the Alolan Pokémon. Character customisation and the region are my favourite bits so far along with the new forms. Story is annoying early on but I'm hoping it picks up.
it's 2022 and we livin