Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Does Solar Power matter on Charizard Y?
Hi guys so I've been breeding for a competitive shiny Charizard Y set. And after 8 shinies I've stumbled on 2 Charmander:
Charmander 1: All 6 IVs with Blaze Ability
Charmnader 2: 5 IVs and DEF IV of 28 but with Solar Power 

So my question is which one fits better as Mega Charizard Y and which one should stay as a charmander?

Thanks for your input
(Mar 24, 2018, 07:56 PM)alwayswannafly Wrote: Hi guys so I've been breeding for a competitive shiny Charizard Y set. And after 8 shinies I've stumbled on 2 Charmander:
Charmander 1: All 6 IVs with Blaze Ability
Charmnader 2: 5 IVs and DEF IV of 28 but with Solar Power 

So my question is which one fits better as Mega Charizard Y and which one should stay as a charmander?

Thanks for your input
Actually, when the pokemon mega evolves, it loses it's original ability, and for Charizard y automatically becomes drought. You wouldn't get any use out of the solar power, and personally I don't like solar power. With Charmander 2, you can use a bottle cap if you want solar power that badly, but it would be a lot easier to use charmander one
^^^^ What he said
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
No, Ability don't matter
OU MASTER RACE
There are very few cases I can think of in which pre-mega abilities can have some strategic uses. Unfortunately none of them involve Charizard: 
  • Intimidate with Gyarados, Salamance, Mawile;
  • Prankster with Sableye (In Gen 6);
  • Speed Boost with Sharpedo;
  • Chlorophyll with Venusaur;
In order to make use of Solar Power you would have to both prevent Charizard from mega evolving and have a sunny weather, but since usually there is no reason not to mega evolve to Mega Charizard Y in the first round and have an additional sun setter in your team, there is almost no difference between Blaze or Solar Power in practice (all my Mega Charizards Y have Blaze).
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
Hi guys thank you so much for your insights, it was very educational. I'll choose the 6 IV Blaze to become Charizard Y then Smile
(Mar 25, 2018, 07:28 PM)alwayswannafly Wrote: Hi guys thank you so much for your insights, it was very educational. I'll choose the 6 IV Blaze to become Charizard Y then Smile

@alwayswannafly There is only a small point I forgot to mention just in case: in competitive play people like to minimalize confusion damage, which is based on the Attack stat, so most special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y will usually have an Attack hindering nature and the worst possible IV in Attack (that is, either 0 or 1 IV depending on whether they are running some Hidden Power).

But this is not to say that you should not use your 6 IV Blaze Charmander! Confusion is not so common nowadays in my humble opinion. Wink
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
(Mar 25, 2018, 08:42 PM)Black Waterfall Wrote:
(Mar 25, 2018, 07:28 PM)alwayswannafly Wrote: Hi guys thank you so much for your insights, it was very educational. I'll choose the 6 IV Blaze to become Charizard Y then Smile

@alwayswannafly There is only a small point I forgot to mention just in case: in competitive play people like to minimalize confusion damage, which is based on the Attack stat, so most special attackers such as Mega Charizard Y will usually have an Attack hindering nature and the worst possible IV in Attack (that is, either 0 or 1 IV depending on whether they are running some Hidden Power).

But this is not to say that you should not use your 6 IV Blaze Charmander! Confusion is not so common nowadays in my humble opinion. Wink

Ah thank you that's a good point to consider, appreciate all your inputs Black Waterfall!