Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[TUTORIAL] Pokemon Crystal Odd Egg Guide
With the release of Pokemon Crystal imminent, players will be able to get access to an ingame event unavailable in Gold / Silver called the Odd Egg. The Odd Egg can get you a cool baby Pokemon that can usually be harder to find, but that's not all.

What is the Odd Egg?

The Odd Egg is a Pokemon Egg you can get from the Day Care Man just before Goldenrod City. Unlike the Togepi Egg, the Odd Egg can hatch into one of several baby Pokemon being Pichu, Igglybuff, Cleffa, Magby, Elekid, Smoochum and Tyrogue. These Pokemon all hatch with the Move Dizzy Punch, a move these Pokemon cannot learn through normal means. Of course this isn't the only thing about the Odd Egg Pokemon, they also have a drastically increased chance to hatch as a Shiny Pokemon.

​ ​​​​Odds and Hatching
​​​

In the international release of Pokemon Crystal, the Odd Egg has a 14% chance to hatch as a Shiny Pokemon, in the Japanese version, the Odds are higher still at a 50% Shiny chance. The reason for this is because these Pokemon, once hatched, can have only 1 of 2 IV Spreads. They are as follows;

Non Shiny IV Spread: 0 Attack, 0 Defense, 0 Speed and 0 Special with Hidden Power Grass that has a base power of 31
Shiny IV Spread: 2 Attack, 10 Defense, 10 Speed, and 10 Special with Hidden Power Fighting that has a base power of 49

Save before getting the Odd Egg, as this is your only Odd Egg you get in the game. The average hatch time for these Pokemon is about 11 minutes, so although this hunt seems easy, it's really time consuming, and the only way to get a second Odd Egg is to trade the hatched Pokemon to another game and restarting Pokemon Crystal from the beginning, cloning eggs can be very dangerous to corrupting your save file, so heed my warning and don't try it.
OU MASTER RACE
couldn't you just save before getting the egg and soft reset untill you hatch a shiny?
@Cubivor ah I forgot to put that in, but obviously that's how you hunt it
OU MASTER RACE
@Kris 

Do you know how the Pokémon inside is determined? Is it trainer ID based so you have to reset the game to get a different one?

@Tenebris_Kane It's completely random with each reset
OU MASTER RACE
(Jan 24, 2018, 04:02 PM)Kris Wrote: I'm trying to get a elekid, I don't care if it's shiny or not. Do I have to do a hard reset everytime I don't get a elekid? Or can I just save before I talk to the old man and get the egg and try over and over that way until i get a elekid? @Tenebris_Kane It's completely random with each reset
Sorry that question was for @Kris