Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[US/UM] Can you tell if a pokemon is legit or not?
Hi!  I am sorry if this has been asked or answered before, I have searched and searched put not found any good definitive answer so i was hoping someone here may have the answer.

Recently i just got a Shiny Mew off of the Wonder Trade, now to be 100% honest, i do not believe in any way that this mew is legit... That was untill i started researching it, where it was met/caught, the pokeball it is in and what not.  Either the person that cloned it did a VERY good job covering their tracks, or someone was giving up on the pokemon game and started to WT their pokemon away.

I would very much like to know if there is a way to find out if it is legit or not cause i tend to throw out hacked or fake pokemon.
I've gotten a bunch of obviously-hacked Pokémon through Wonder Trades. They're mostly level 100, in those red Event balls, often shiny, and often holding a rare item of some kind. The OTs are sometimes obvious advertisements, but sometimes using normal-seeming names; often taken from the NPCs in the games.

For Shiny Mew, it looks like a legit one is most likely from Japan (2 events there), or the UK (1 event there); so you can rule out any other sources.

You could take this a step further I think, and research the OT names for those events. Those should be publicly available somewhere, I would think. If not, I'm not sure how you could find out without contacting TPC themselves to obtain that information.

Bottom line: it's probably hacked or cloned. It's safest to proceed from that assumption, until proven otherwise.
(Nov 24, 2018, 01:16 AM)Honest Doodle Wrote: Recently i just got a Shiny Mew off of the Wonder Trade, now to be 100% honest, i do not believe in any way that this mew is legit... That was untill i started researching it, where it was met/caught, the pokeball it is in and what not.  Either the person that cloned it did a VERY good job covering their tracks, or someone was giving up on the pokemon game and started to WT their pokemon away.

@Honest Doodle I'm pretty sure mythical Pokemon cannot be legally wonder traded unless their ribbon is removed, so it should be an edited Mew at very least.

Concerning the more general question about legality, there used to be a very thread by @gkh1997 explaining what is legal and what is not for every generation, but I can't find it anymore.

http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-DISCUSS...#pid253863 

I think that was the link for the thread, but it seems to be broken now. Maybe someone can help?
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
@Honest Doodle  @Black Waterfall 

Hi, In response to Black waterfall GHK1997 hs made regular threads which are updated to check legality, I believe the most recent is revision 8 which can be found here: 
http://pokemonforever.com/Thread-DISCUSS...lity-REV08

Without detailed information regarding the Pokémon in question it is difficult to confirm whether a Pokémon is hacked, however in the case that it is cloned from a legitimate pokémon or it is genned in carefully it will actually be impossible to tell as there is nothing in the base code which allows for this type of identification since the person genning the Pokémon will have ensured all the base code seems legitimate.

Looks like I have been summoned.

Most probably hacked. Most people don't throw a shiny Mew into WT.

Shiny Mew can only be obtainable in Gen III, with specific TID and SID, to get the proper PID. And those type of Mews can be traded on WT due to it having no event ribbons.
What is a signature and how do I get one?