Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Parasect-Team Building
Hi! VGC 2017 opened up for many Pokemon never before seen in competetive play. Considering Parasects vast support movepool, with Spore, Wide Guard and Rage Powder as some examples, this unrivaled 5x-weak-to-fire-bug could possibly (read in bold) fill the void of Amoonguss.

So I really want to build a team around this little bugger (haahaaaaa).

My first thoughts are that Parasects typing goes really well against Ground and Grass types, taking attacks from Garchomp, Krookodile, Kartana and Tapu Bulu to name a few. And its slow with base 30 speed. So I'm thinking Trick Room, supporting Gigalith, as they have perfect type synergy and are both slow.

So my core could be Parasect+Gigalith

Mimikyu and Porygon-2 comes to mind as Trick Room setters. Don't know which would suit my team the most, or if others are to be considered (like Nihilego).

So far Steel-types seem to be problematic, which pulls me towards Hariyama; it's slow, beats steel-types not named Metagross and has Fake Out to help set up Trick Room.

Now for some potential special attackers: A slow and bulky Tapu Fini set couples really well with Parasect and Gigalith type-wise, and is strong overall.
Vikavolt is slow and strong and can take advantage of opposing Tapu Koko's Electric-Terrain. It also has Levitate, which helps as a switch-in to Tectonic Rage or if I want to run Earthquake on Gigalith to surprise Steel, Electric, Poison and Rock-types.

Notable mentions are Alolan-Muk, Alolan-Marowak and Araquanid, but I'm not sure if they would add much. (I don't want to run Snorlax, it's like the new M-Kangaskhan Sad )

I would really appreciate some input, as I'm quite unsure as of how to move on with my team-building Undecided
Calculating spreads is quite straight-forward, so that I can handle.

Some problems to the team: Trick Room-reliant, Electric Terrain stops Spore from being effective, Psychic Terrain stops Fake Out, Rage Powder does not work on Tapu Bulu and Kartana if I'm not mistaken.
Am I missing some potenial threats? Huh Arcanine has trouble if I go Gigalith and Tapu Fini, so the doggo isnt much of a concern. Since I'm running really heavy Trick Room, getting that up is priority one, but is having faster Pokemon on my team good, if Trick Room fails? Considering the priority on Rage Powder and Tapu Finis bulk, that duo works even outside Trick Room.

Cheers
"To believe in an ideal, is to be willing to betray it"
                 VGC, Friend Safari, Masuda
"Heavy" TR is a kind of strategy useful thanks for its fantastic matchup vs Offensive playstyles, wich often are Speed control-reliant. Its big problem is that TR lasts only 5 turns, so when you're using this strategy you should adopt a Bulky/Hyper Offense playstyle as well. That means that non-damage dealing pokèmon (such as Parasect and Amoonguss) are dead weight. The main utility of a slow sleep inducer is contrasting TR teams, and not being part of one of them.
If this is still something you're keen on running,a slow Mimikyu with Ghostium Z Shadow Ball and Destiny Bond as your Trick Room Setter might be good, or a fast Red Card Mimikyu can also work. (Take a, opponent switches, TR. / Opponent sets up, TR, still take a hit AND they lose their stat boost). Just my thoughts Smile
OU MASTER RACE