Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] Ultra Beast Spotlight! Enter: Guzzlord!
[Image: guzzlord.jpg]

YO WHATS GOOD MY FRIENDS?
It's ya boy. The guy who no longer exists. The man who isn't a mod. The dude who doesn't even play Pokemon; Roger.
But no really, for those of you who know me: You know what I'm doing. Those who don't, I'll try to explain here.
I'm going to attempt to make a series of threads over the ultra beasts, and sets/tips/ect on them.
The ultra beasts were super interesting to me, so I wanted to look at them first.

I wanted to start with Guzzlord. I also want to go ahead and state that I don't think he's incredibly good. Like, by any means. But he looks cool so I wanted to use him.
That being said, I'm gonna jump into this. We'll look at his stats, ability, typing, all the stuff. I may do some single/smogon sets in the future, but for now I'll just look at doubles VGC. Enough talking. Let's get down to business.

Early Disclaimer: This was made very shortly after sun/moon release. Myself, and basically everyone else have no idea what we're doing. This set isn't meta, there really /isn't/ a meta because everyone is changing things constantly. This set/mon could get worse, or better depending on time. Just saying.

[Image: yP9jkcx.png]

It's super easy to see what Guzzlord excels at; HP.
With it, we have some /decent/ attacking stats, some pretty bad defenses, and even worse speed.
It's a Dark Dragon type as well, meaning it has 5 weaknesses. Ice(x2), Bug(x2), Fighting(x2), Dragon(x2), and Fairy(x4).
But it also resists Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ghost, and Dark. While being immune to Psychic. Not too bad.
It's ability is beast boost. This ability is shared through Ultra Beasts, and it's highest stat is boosted by 1 if it attacks and KO's a pokemon.

I'm sure there's a way to make an offensive Guzzlord do well, however I personally prefer a defensive set. Meaning beast boost is practically useless here, however Guzzlord itself is not..Maybe...Kinda... Alright lets get down to the set and such. You don't wanna read all this, you just wanna know how to do the thing with the Guzzman.

The set, why, and what it does:

Guzzlord @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Snarl
- Wide Guard
- Gastro Acid / Protect
- Flamethrower / Protect

Here's a small list that this set lives, regardless of it's item. It's worth noting that this is all done assuming the attacker has max attack/special attack with a positive nature for their attack.

Pheromosa - Focus Blast modest
Garchomp - Dragon Claw adamant
Kommo-o - Draco Meteor modest / Sky Uppercut adamant
Buzzwole - Hammer Arm adamant + Lunge
Tapu Lele - Dazzling Gleam modest
Crabominable - Ice Hammer adamant (chance to live Close combat)
Vikavolt - Bug Buzz modest
Exeggutor(Alo) - Draco meteor modest (93%~ chance to live)
Ninetails(Alo) - Ice Beam modest + Dazzling gleam
Primarina - Dazzling Gleam modest
Drampa - Draco Meteor modest (60%+~ chance to live)

I stopped the list there because I'm pretty sure you get the bulk it has. Don't assume you're gonna live a moonblast though. Just...don't.
You get the EV's, so let me explain a few more things before getting down into the moves. The IV's for example. lowest speed/attack possible is preferred because Guzzlord does well under Trick Room. Lowest attack because if I DO get a kill with flamethrower/snarl; it'll boost it's special attack with beast boost, not it's attack.

Nature is flexible. I prefer sassy for the increased SPDEF, despite having snarl because I feel like there's just a large amount of strong special attackers around right now. You could go for a DEF+ nature, but it really depends what youre trying to deal with/your team set up/ect.

Item is also flexible. Leftovers work, sitrus berry is nice, and even some berries like yache berry, chople berry, ect. work well.

This is my personal favorite set of moves, as I usually don't run protect. I'll explain the moves, from top to bottom.

Snarl - Snarl is a dark type move that lowers the opponents SPATK by one stage when they're hit by it. This is really nice, as it hits both of the enemies Pokemon. With our defensive EV's, we should be able to toss around a few snarls and mess with the opponent's special attackers.

Wide Guard - When wide guard is used, it protects your allies by any multi hit move for that turn. Moves like Dazzling Gleam, Hyper Voice, Earthquake, Discharge, Rock Slide, and many more; cannot be used when Wide Guard is used. Nice and protective.

Gastro Acid - This is a fun move. Could be replaced with protect if you wish. It nullifies the targets ability that's hit by it. Lot's of things can be done with this move, and really messes with some Pokemon. You basically take away their ability.

Flamethrower - I picked this move because I saw a of mons running around who are weak to fire. This isn't your primary use, as the other 3 moves are a lot more spammable; But thrower has it's use here. Scizor, a large majority of the ultra beasts, Tapu Bulu, Alo Ninetails/Sandslash, and many more are weak to fire. I saw this being a lot more useful, but you could throw protect here, or another attacking move like draco meteor here. But don't expect it to do much.

My favorite pairing:
There were a lot of different combos to pair with Guzzlord. A taunter to allow him to not be targeted. A trick room user. An offensive threat.
However, it wasn't until I saw @Wolfey post his competitive Alola Marowak analysis to make me realize my favorite pair. Here's the video:

the first reason; Is it compliments Guzzlord in the fact that they both work well under trick room. second reason; Marowak is pretty bulky while being able to put out offensive pressure. third reason; It threatens those ultra beasts like Buzzwole, and Pheromosa; Making it hard for them to pick a target.
My biggest reason, however; Is these two together basically ruin the popular pick; Tapu Koko

Tapu Koko won't be allowed to use Electric moves with a lighting rod Alolan Marowak on the field. It won't even be able to use Dazzling Gleam, or moves like Discharge with Guzzlord using wide guard. If people try to use the common Alolan Raichu + Tapu Koko pair, Raichu won't be able to use Psychic attacks on Guzzlord, nor can it use electric moves freely. This lets Guzzlord snarl away, use gastro acid if need be, or let Alolan Marowak hit with offensive moves, or drop a will-o-wisp on a target. (I personally like running Will-O-Wisp on Marowak, as it lets me burn offensive threats like Buzzwole, or lets me burn something on switch in.) Marowaks Alolan typing lets it pressure a lot of threats for Guzzlord as well. The fighting/bug ultra beasts are pressured by his fire typing, while the psychic/fairy Tapu Lele is pressures by Marowaks ghost attacks. Not to mention Guzzlords wide guard protects Marowak from earthquake. They work rather well together, especially under a trick room.

Guzzlord, in my opinion; Won't be a top meta pick by any means. But I think it's fun, and can be really annoying to deal with if the opponent doesn't have the right answers for it. As for now, I'll post this and possibly update this post as I learn more about it/find more combos. So, work with me here despite how messy this may come off as.

zzzzz ill do more I promise zzzz gonna go get ready for work zzzz i have no idea what im doing
50 thousand people used to live here...Now it's a ghost town.
These new Ultra Beasts are scary to go up against. Can't wait to see how they crush my dreams of being a pokemon master.
Great analysis! Smile
Stockpile. Guzzlord gets stockpile. . .

OH MAW GERD IT GETS FREAKING STOCKPILE OH MAW GERD! MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN CRUSHED BY THIS DRAGON THING THAT'S HAD TOO MUCH KFC!
Ok, I went a little crazy there, but seriously, this thing gets stockpile.
#Guzzlord stall confirmed
252+ SpA Togepi Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Guzzlord: 360-424 (109 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
(Nov 21, 2016, 03:08 PM)Stahlman Wrote: These new Ultra Beasts are scary to go up against. Can't wait to see how they crush my dreams of being a pokemon master.

Don't falter! You can beat any of them.

(Nov 21, 2016, 04:10 PM)Elly Wrote: Great analysis! Smile

thanks friend! its kinda messy but I appreciate it.

(Nov 21, 2016, 05:29 PM)TheGamingPerson12 Wrote: Stockpile. Guzzlord gets stockpile. . .

OH MAW GERD IT GETS FREAKING STOCKPILE OH MAW GERD! MY DREAMS HAVE BEEN CRUSHED BY THIS DRAGON THING THAT'S HAD TOO MUCH KFC!
Ok, I went a little crazy there, but seriously, this thing gets stockpile.
#Guzzlord stall confirmed

yeah, that can definitely be spooky haha. maybe a stockpile rest set!

(Nov 21, 2016, 05:47 PM)GiMYz Wrote: 252+ SpA Togepi Twinkle Tackle (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 156+ SpD Guzzlord: 360-424 (109 - 128.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

I don't like you very much, however, at the same time; I like you a lot. Carry on.
why sassy on him since he has a high attack and low sp def
Much Ugly Such Strong....
(Nov 22, 2016, 09:50 AM)ShawnStyles Wrote: why sassy on him since he has a high attack and low sp def

Because it's a defensive build. It wouldn't make sense to give him a offensive nature, with a set that doesn't give off offensive pressure.
(Nov 21, 2016, 11:30 AM)Rogue Wrote: [Image: guzzlord.jpg]

YO WHATS GOOD MY FRIENDS?
It's ya boy. The guy who no longer exists. The man who isn't a mod. The dude who doesn't even play Pokemon; Roger.
But no really, for those of you who know me: You know what I'm doing. Those who don't, I'll try to explain here.
I'm going to attempt to make a series of threads over the ultra beasts, and sets/tips/ect on them.
The ultra beasts were super interesting to me, so I wanted to look at them first.

I wanted to start with Guzzlord. I also want to go ahead and state that I don't think he's incredibly good. Like, by any means. But he looks cool so I wanted to use him.
That being said, I'm gonna jump into this. We'll look at his stats, ability, typing, all the stuff. I may do some single/smogon sets in the future, but for now I'll just look at doubles VGC. Enough talking. Let's get down to business.

Early Disclaimer: This was made very shortly after sun/moon release. Myself, and basically everyone else have no idea what we're doing. This set isn't meta, there really /isn't/ a meta because everyone is changing things constantly. This set/mon could get worse, or better depending on time. Just saying.

[Image: yP9jkcx.png]

It's super easy to see what Guzzlord excels at; HP.
With it, we have some /decent/ attacking stats, some pretty bad defenses, and even worse speed.
It's a Dark Dragon type as well, meaning it has 5 weaknesses. Ice(x2), Bug(x2), Fighting(x2), Dragon(x2), and Fairy(x4).
But it also resists Fire, Water, Electric, Grass, Ghost, and Dark. While being immune to Psychic. Not too bad.
It's ability is beast boost. This ability is shared through Ultra Beasts, and it's highest stat is boosted by 1 if it attacks and KO's a pokemon.

I'm sure there's a way to make an offensive Guzzlord do well, however I personally prefer a defensive set. Meaning beast boost is practically useless here, however Guzzlord itself is not..Maybe...Kinda... Alright lets get down to the set and such. You don't wanna read all this, you just wanna know how to do the thing with the Guzzman.

The set, why, and what it does:

Guzzlord @ Leftovers / Sitrus Berry
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 156 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Snarl
- Wide Guard
- Gastro Acid / Protect
- Flamethrower / Protect

Here's a small list that this set lives, regardless of it's item. It's worth noting that this is all done assuming the attacker has max attack/special attack with a positive nature for their attack.

Pheromosa - Focus Blast modest
Garchomp - Dragon Claw adamant
Kommo-o - Draco Meteor modest / Sky Uppercut adamant
Buzzwole - Hammer Arm adamant + Lunge
Tapu Lele - Dazzling Gleam modest
Crabominable - Ice Hammer adamant (chance to live Close combat)
Vikavolt - Bug Buzz modest
Exeggutor(Alo) - Draco meteor modest (93%~ chance to live)
Ninetails(Alo) - Ice Beam modest + Dazzling gleam
Primarina - Dazzling Gleam modest
Drampa - Draco Meteor modest (60%+~ chance to live)

I stopped the list there because I'm pretty sure you get the bulk it has. Don't assume you're gonna live a moonblast though. Just...don't.
You get the EV's, so let me explain a few more things before getting down into the moves. The IV's for example. lowest speed/attack possible is preferred because Guzzlord does well under Trick Room. Lowest attack because if I DO get a kill with flamethrower/snarl; it'll boost it's special attack with beast boost, not it's attack.

Nature is flexible. I prefer sassy for the increased SPDEF, despite having snarl because I feel like there's just a large amount of strong special attackers around right now. You could go for a DEF+ nature, but it really depends what youre trying to deal with/your team set up/ect.

Item is also flexible. Leftovers work, sitrus berry is nice, and even some berries like yache berry, chople berry, ect. work well.

This is my personal favorite set of moves, as I usually don't run protect. I'll explain the moves, from top to bottom.

Snarl - Snarl is a dark type move that lowers the opponents SPATK by one stage when they're hit by it. This is really nice, as it hits both of the enemies Pokemon. With our defensive EV's, we should be able to toss around a few snarls and mess with the opponent's special attackers.

Wide Guard - When wide guard is used, it protects your allies by any multi hit move for that turn. Moves like Dazzling Gleam, Hyper Voice, Earthquake, Discharge, Rock Slide, and many more; cannot be used when Wide Guard is used. Nice and protective.

Gastro Acid - This is a fun move. Could be replaced with protect if you wish. It nullifies the targets ability that's hit by it. Lot's of things can be done with this move, and really messes with some Pokemon. You basically take away their ability.

Flamethrower - I picked this move because I saw a of mons running around who are weak to fire. This isn't your primary use, as the other 3 moves are a lot more spammable; But thrower has it's use here. Scizor, a large majority of the ultra beasts, Tapu Bulu, Alo Ninetails/Sandslash, and many more are weak to fire. I saw this being a lot more useful, but you could throw protect here, or another attacking move like draco meteor here. But don't expect it to do much.

My favorite pairing:
There were a lot of different combos to pair with Guzzlord. A taunter to allow him to not be targeted. A trick room user. An offensive threat.
However, it wasn't until I saw @Wolfey post his competitive Alola Marowak analysis to make me realize my favorite pair. Here's the video:

the first reason; Is it compliments Guzzlord in the fact that they both work well under trick room. second reason; Marowak is pretty bulky while being able to put out offensive pressure. third reason; It threatens those ultra beasts like Buzzwole, and Pheromosa; Making it hard for them to pick a target.
My biggest reason, however; Is these two together basically ruin the popular pick; Tapu Koko

Tapu Koko won't be allowed to use Electric moves with a lighting rod Alolan Marowak on the field. It won't even be able to use Dazzling Gleam, or moves like Discharge with Guzzlord using wide guard. If people try to use the common Alolan Raichu + Tapu Koko pair, Raichu won't be able to use Psychic attacks on Guzzlord, nor can it use electric moves freely. This lets Guzzlord snarl away, use gastro acid if need be, or let Alolan Marowak hit with offensive moves, or drop a will-o-wisp on a target. (I personally like running Will-O-Wisp on Marowak, as it lets me burn offensive threats like Buzzwole, or lets me burn something on switch in.) Marowaks Alolan typing lets it pressure a lot of threats for Guzzlord as well. The fighting/bug ultra beasts are pressured by his fire typing, while the psychic/fairy Tapu Lele is pressures by Marowaks ghost attacks. Not to mention Guzzlords wide guard protects Marowak from earthquake. They work rather well together, especially under a trick room.

Guzzlord, in my opinion; Won't be a top meta pick by any means. But I think it's fun, and can be really annoying to deal with if the opponent doesn't have the right answers for it. As for now, I'll post this and possibly update this post as I learn more about it/find more combos. So, work with me here despite how messy this may come off as.

zzzzz ill do more I promise zzzz gonna go get ready for work zzzz i have no idea what im doing

Why is this thing so broken? Same with Kartana