Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] VGC '17 Metagame Megathread
Star 
You guys know how we do this. Discuss your findings and experiences with the metagame here as it comes to fruition and evolves. What mons are you seeing? Popular sets? Who do you like to run? What themes are popular? Let us know!
The Nurse Joy of #TeamForum.
Behold the greatest thing to grace VGC!

Archer (Growlithe) @ Eviolite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Will-O-Wisp
- Heat Wave
- Morning Sun
- Burn Up

These Ultra Beast have nothing against our savior doge.
I don't even have the game yet but i've been playing VGC17 on Showdown lol

I love taking HP Ice from Tapu Koko with my Yache Berry Garchomp then OHKO it with EQ *_*

BTW the fact that if two Tapus enter the field at the same time only the slower one will activate its Terrain in the end already makes leading with Tapu Koko a big risk.
Yeah Tapu Koko is certainly not a major threat as people made it out to be, but certainly the fact it can change terrains and hits "stronger" than offensive Thundurus is a major plus. Then again, Electric Terrain-boosted Electric-type attacks is one of the few traits that keep Koko viable for now in the VGC format, though we are still early on. GMX brings up a good point about terrains as since Koko is the fastest of the Tapus, the other 3 will have "priority" in their own field terrains, thus removing the Electric-boosted attacks. People will definitely have other Tapus on their team to mitigate Koko's presence, or even EV their mons to take those Electric Terrain boosted attacks. Just wonder what "else" Tapu Koko will "do", though its just a matter of experimenting.

Really interested to see how the Ultra Beast fit in the VGC format even though I've heard some people fear the potential of it being kinda centralized around them. One example of a mon I see being used somewhat is Pheromosa, but don't know how well it can do here in a 2v2 doubles environment given 1) High Jump Kick is inconsistent with protect, 2) STAB's can't really pick up OHKOs with Intimidate being moderately strong early, and 3) frailty. Some of the Ultras like Celesteela and Xurkitree have interesting BSTs and some niche options to say the least like Tail Glow with 173 LOL.

Yeah really eager to start teambuilding and playing on Battle Spot for the new Challenger mode.
I'm loving Arcanine and Tapu Lele right now.

Arcanine is so good.. i'm gonna post my set soon (it's just a sample set for the early metagame). It literally shuts down half of the UBs and 1 of the Tapus just thanks to Intimidate and its Fire type.

Tapu Lele is cool because of psychic terrain negating priority and the fact that there are not many viable Dark types so Psychic as an offensive type in this meta is really strong.

I'm using Sash Pheromosa because U-Turn out to recycle Intimidates and to have Terrain advantage seems to work for me. In 20+ games i've never used any of his other moves except for Protect.

The rest of the UBs seem so weird to run, or i should say they need to be supported in some way (Wide Guard / Trick Room / redirection) to unleash their full potential, but i don't know if it's worth doing it.

edit: this is my team atm (20W/10L so far)

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Ice Fang
- Taunt
- Protect

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 108 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

Arcanine @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 132 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Heat Wave
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Burn Up

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Jump Kick
- Ice Beam
- Protect
Get ready to see some mantine for the buffs to his defense he got along with learning roost
Courtesy of BerserkVGC, here are the top 50 high ranking teams on Pokémon Showdown. Will like to jog some discussion as to what trends and archetypes we are seeing now in the early meta.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...4/htmlview#
Showdown has always been more gimmick based than Battle Spot, we all know that.

However we could talk about Porygon2 pick rate, which i was expecting high but not THAT high. I've used this duck during VGC15 late metagame and i was shocked how much of an impact it could make, if properly supported. In this VGC17 early meta Fighting-types struggle a lot (and i think this won't change in the future) because of the presence of the Fairy-type Tapus and Intimidates in every team, which means Porygon2 has more probability to stay on the field for a longer time.

So now people may ask: what exactly Porygon2 does that makes it so good? Fine, i'm gonna write my analysis on Porygon2 in another thread soon :D
Yeah for now it useful to see what are the top teams are using, though I agree Battle Spot > Showdown for any real VGC comp experience.

Not going to lie, but Porygon2 has seen notable rise given it can tank most major hits at least once and deal damage against other mons, notably Gyarados + Garchomp. Trace hasn't been as consistent but Download SpA boosts to me have the potential to sway games completely. A +1 Eviolite Porygon2 with the potential to hit everything neutrally and decent support an threat to consider. Wonder if people will actually start raising their SpD stats or playing mindfully of the potential Download boost.
So Kent State had a VGC 17 PC on the 3rd that I took 7th in. We had 18 players total. I'm not ready to give out my full sets this early on because I felt like my surprises were a good factor but some notes.

Araquanid was my MVP. Porygon 2 stayed alive from start to finish in so many of my games. I used Marowak a lot less then I thought I would. Torkal/Orangu meme magic is kinda real so if you have somthing that can still counter it in the Sun with Trick Room, more power to you. That was kind of my downfall in top 8. 

Look into Z-moves as much as you can. Z-Desinty Bond threw me for a loop.