Poll: Do you like Glalie / Mega-Glalie ?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC or SMOGON] Mega-Glalie Overview [Mixed Ubers/OU] Physical Singles / Special Doubles
[Image: glalie.jpg]

Glalie is a really cool Pokemon and Mega-Glalie is even better thanks to it's Ability; Refrigerate which turns Normal type moves into Ice types. So let's take a look at some ways to use Mega-Glalie.

Type: Ice: Weak to Fire, Steel, Rock and Fighting.
Strong against: Grass, Flying, Dragon and Ground

Abilities: Ice Body, Inner Focus, Moody {HA} and Refrigerate {Mega-Glalie} 

Stats:
HP: >>>> 80
ATK: >>>> 80
DEF: >>>> 80
SP-ATK: >>>> 80
SP-DEF: >>>> 80
SPEED: >>>> 80
Bst: 480

Mega Stats:
HP: >>>> 80
ATK: + 120
DEF: >>>> 80
SP-ATK: + 120
SP-DEF: >>>> 80
SPEED: + 100
Bst: 560

Set No.1
[Image: 362.gif]
[SINGLES]
Unflinching Kamikaze Glalie [Overkill]
Glalie @ Glalitite  
Ability: Inner Focus  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Explosion 
- Ice Shard 
- Facade  / Frustration 
- Spikes

This set focuses on Explosion + Refrigerate to get an easy kill on a Pokemon that could threaten your team. Inner Focus is the base Ability because of the Move Fake Out from Mega-Kangaskhan and other Pokemon. On the topic of Mega-Kangaskhan however, this set in particular, without Defense modification, at Full HP can survive a Power-Up Punch from Mega-Kangaskhan without Attack boost Modifications and get a free-hit off, preferably Explosion. If you can predict Fake Out though, stay as Normal Glalie and get off a free layer of Spikes. Facade and Frustration are both here to serve a similar purpose, to hit really hard. Facade can hit really hard should Glalie get affected by a Status condition. Ice Shard is used to hit Pokemon that outspeed Mega-Glalie such as Garchomp.

Damage Calcs:
Offensive:
- 252 Atk Mega-Glalie Refrigerate Frustration Vs 44 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Salamence: 604 - 712 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 252 Atk Mega-Glalie Refrigerate Frustration Vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 392 - 462 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 252 Atk Mega-Glalie Refrigerate Explosion Vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Kangaskhan: 462 - 544 [Guaranteed OHKO]

Defensive:
- 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega-Kangaskhan Body Slam Vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Glalie: 203 - 241 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 4 SpA Mega-Absol Fire Blast Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef Mega-Glalie: 214 - 254 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 0 SpA Mega-Salamence Flamethrower Vs 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef Mega-Glalie: 164 - 194 [Guaranteed 2HKO]

Team Options:
- Alolan Ninetales is undoubtedly a perfect choice of teammate as Mega-Glalie will greatly benefit from Aurora Veil to take hits much easier Example: Mega-Aerodactyl's Stone Edge goes from a guaranteed OHKO to a guaranteed 2HKO with Aurora Veil up.
- Heatran's Flash Fire can check threats like Arcanine and Charizard and is a better option to run for checking Arcanine than Water Types as Arcanine can run Z-Wild Charge.
- Sableye is an exceptional counter to Mega-Kangaskhan, Buzzwole and Pheromosa as it not only is immune to the Fighting type attacks that trouble Glalie, it can safely get a Will-o-Wisp off to cut the attack of these threats behind Prankster.

Checks & Counters

- Similarly to how Heatran can help Mega-Glalie it can also hinder it. It's a Fire Steel type and can easily survive Glalie's Explosion.
- Mimikyu and Toxapex can safely switch in on Explosion and take it as if it's nothing. [This is literally the case for Mimikyu]
- Kartana is going to be the biggest threat to Mega-Glalie as it gets Sacred Sword and a STAB Smart Strike. It easily outspeeds Mega-Glalie and will OHKO it with Smart Strike.

Set No.2
[DOUBLES]
Special Sweeper Glalie [Jack Frost]
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Iron Head
- Frost Breath

There's really no denying how versatile Glalie is. 120 in both Atk and SpA stats and a decent variety of coverage gives it many options to attack. Paired with Alolan Ninetales, Aurora Veil allows Glalie to take hits from Kartana, one of it's biggest threats, more easily. Freeze-Dry is an answer to Pelipper and Kingdra as Freeze-Dry hits Water Types for super-effective damage. Blizzard is Mega-Glalie's strongest Special Ice type attack Not counting Refrigerate Hyper Beam and is going to work in conjunction with Alolan Ninetales' Snow Warning. Iron Head is on here to threaten opposing Alolan Ninetales that try to set up their own Aurora Veil. Frost Breath is a usually unseen move but I believe it has great potential as it always hit's as a Critical Hit under a regular 60 Base Power move. Jack Frost here is a Naive Nature as it wants Iron Head to hit hard and since Physical threats like Kartana are more common, I dropped it's SpDef.

Damage Calcs: 
Offensive:
- 252 SpA Mega-Glalie Freeze-Dry Vs. 248 Hp/ 252 SpDef+ Pelipper: 396 - 468 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 4 Atk Mega-Glalie Iron Head Vs. 0 Hp/ 4 Def Alolan Ninetales: 330 - 404 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 252 SpA Mega-Glalie Frost Breath Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef Tapu Bulu on a Critical Hit: 290 - 344 [Guaranteed OHKO]

Defensive:
- 252 Atk Mega-Aerodactyl Stone Edge Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Glalie under an ally's Aurora Veil: 204 - 240 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 252 Atk+ Arcanine Flare Blitz Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Glalie under an ally's Aurora Veil: 231 - 273 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 252 SpA Alolan Persian Power Gem Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef- Mega-Glalie: 164 - 194 [Guaranteed 2HKO]

Team Options:

- Obviously Alolan Ninetales is crucial to this set as is the case with most Hail teams, it's Encore or Hypnosis can help Glalie out immensely.
- Arcanine applies a lot of defensive pressure onto Tapu Bulu, Mega-Salamence, and Kartana n the form of Intimidate, however, it is able to freely run Flash Fire as well, so if you can see an opposing Arcanine use Flare Blitz, feel free to do a quick switcheroo.
- Alolan Sandslash has the Ability Slush Rush which doubles it's Speed under Hail, and has really good Base Attack so it can be a nice speedy Attacker to help Glalie out.
- Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge Ability will be crucial for stopping Mega-Kangaskhan's Fake Out and various other priority moves, since Jack Frost doesn't have Inner Focus.

Checks & Counters:

- No matter how you look at it, Glalie still suffers from it's usual threats, but Gen 7 brought a new threat with it. Parting Shot. Alolan Persian is fast enough to get a Parting Shot onto Glalie and drop it's Atk and SpA stats by 1. That plus a potential Aurora Veil means Glalie won't be doing as much as it needs to.

Final Thoughts:

Although it has a lot of Pokemon that can counter it, Glalie is still a threat in competitive play. Refrigerate explosion is a force to be reckoned with and can catch an opponent off guard if they don't expect it. I recommend adding Glalie to your Hail team as it's still a really powerful option in competitive play. These sets are both my own creation and it took me a while to get this all together, so feedback would be awesome.

I don't live and breath Smogon's Tier system sorry folks
eh i always belly drum smeargle, then baton pass into glalie, then i mega and use explosion.

trust me it is really fun
@Reis Unfortunately, that's not an option in S/M Ubers because Baton Pass is banned.
(Sep 9, 2017, 05:41 AM)Anabel Wrote:
Set No.1
[SINGLES]
Unflinching Kamikaze Glalie [Overkill]
Glalie @ Glalitite  
Ability: Inner Focus  
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Explosion 
- Ice Shard 
- Facade  / Frustration 
- Spikes

This set focuses on Explosion + Refrigerate to get an easy kill on a Pokemon that could threaten your team. Inner Focus is the base Ability because of the Move Fake Out from Mega-Kangaskhan and other Pokemon. On the topic of Mega-Kangaskhan however, this set in particular, without Defense modification, at Full HP can survive a Power-Up Punch from Mega-Kangaskhan without Attack boost Modifications and get a free-hit off, preferably Explosion. If you can predict Fake Out though, stay as Normal Glalie and get off a free layer of Spikes. Facade and Frustration are both here to serve a similar purpose, to hit really hard. Facade can hit really hard should Glalie get affected by a Status condition. Ice Shard is used to hit Pokemon that outspeed Mega-Glalie such as Garchomp.

Damage Calcs:
Offensive:
- 252 Atk Mega-Glalie Refrigerate Frustration Vs 44 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Salamence: 604 - 712 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 252 Atk Mega-Glalie Refrigerate Frustration Vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Multiscale Dragonite: 392 - 462 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 252 Atk Mega-Glalie Refrigerate Explosion Vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Kangaskhan: 462 - 544 [Guaranteed OHKO]

Defensive:
- 252 Atk Parental Bond Mega-Kangaskhan Body Slam Vs 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Glalie: 203 - 241 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 4 SpA Mega-Absol Fire Blast Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef Mega-Glalie: 214 - 254 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 0 SpA Mega-Salamence Flamethrower Vs 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef Mega-Glalie: 164 - 194 [Guaranteed 2HKO]

Team Options:
- Alolan Ninetales is undoubtedly a perfect choice of teammate as Mega-Glalie will greatly benefit from Aurora Veil to take hits much easier Example: Mega-Aerodactyl's Stone Edge goes from a guaranteed OHKO to a guaranteed 2HKO with Aurora Veil up.
- Heatran's Flash Fire can check threats like Arcanine and Charizard and is a better option to run for checking Arcanine than Water Types as Arcanine can run Z-Wild Charge.
- Sableye is an exceptional counter to Mega-Kangaskhan, Buzzwole and Pheromosa as it not only is immune to the Fighting type attacks that trouble Glalie, it can safely get a Will-o-Wisp off to cut the attack of these threats behind Prankster.

Checks & Counters

- Similarly to how Heatran can help Mega-Glalie it can also hinder it. It's a Fire Steel type and can easily survive Glalie's Explosion.
- Mimikyu and Toxapex can safely switch in on Explosion and take it as if it's nothing. [This is literally the case for Mimikyu]
- Kartana is going to be the biggest threat to Mega-Glalie as it gets Sacred Sword and a STAB Smart Strike. It easily outspeeds Mega-Glalie and will OHKO it with Smart Strike.

Set No.2
[DOUBLES]
Special Sweeper Glalie [Jack Frost]
Glalie @ Glalitite
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Iron Head
- Frost Breath

There's really no denying how versatile Glalie is. 120 in both Atk and SpA stats and a decent variety of coverage gives it many options to attack. Paired with Alolan Ninetales, Aurora Veil allows Glalie to take hits from Kartana, one of it's biggest threats, more easily. Freeze-Dry is an answer to Pelipper and Kingdra as Freeze-Dry hits Water Types for super-effective damage. Blizzard is Mega-Glalie's strongest Special Ice type attack Not counting Refrigerate Hyper Beam and is going to work in conjunction with Alolan Ninetales' Snow Warning. Iron Head is on here to threaten opposing Alolan Ninetales that try to set up their own Aurora Veil. Frost Breath is a usually unseen move but I believe it has great potential as it always hit's as a Critical Hit under a regular 60 Base Power move. Jack Frost here is a Naive Nature as it wants Iron Head to hit hard and since Physical threats like Kartana are more common, I dropped it's SpDef.

Damage Calcs: 
Offensive:
- 252 SpA Mega-Glalie Freeze-Dry Vs. 248 Hp/ 252 SpDef+ Pelipper: 396 - 468 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 4 Atk Mega-Glalie Iron Head Vs. 0 Hp/ 4 Def Alolan Ninetales: 330 - 404 [Guaranteed OHKO]
- 252 SpA Mega-Glalie Frost Breath Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef Tapu Bulu on a Critical Hit: 290 - 344 [Guaranteed OHKO]

Defensive:
- 252 Atk Mega-Aerodactyl Stone Edge Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Glalie under an ally's Aurora Veil: 204 - 240 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 252 Atk+ Arcanine Flare Blitz Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 Def Mega-Glalie under an ally's Aurora Veil: 231 - 273 [Guaranteed 2HKO]
- 252 SpA Alolan Persian Power Gem Vs. 0 Hp/ 0 SpDef- Mega-Glalie: 164 - 194 [Guaranteed 2HKO]

Team Options:

- Obviously Alolan Ninetales is crucial to this set as is the case with most Hail teams, it's Encore or Hypnosis can help Glalie out immensely.
- Arcanine applies a lot of defensive pressure onto Tapu Bulu, Mega-Salamence, and Kartana n the form of Intimidate, however, it is able to freely run Flash Fire as well, so if you can see an opposing Arcanine use Flare Blitz, feel free to do a quick switcheroo.
- Alolan Sandslash has the Ability Slush Rush which doubles it's Speed under Hail, and has really good Base Attack so it can be a nice speedy Attacker to help Glalie out.
- Tapu Lele's Psychic Surge Ability will be crucial for stopping Mega-Kangaskhan's Fake Out and various other priority moves, since Jack Frost doesn't have Inner Focus.

Checks & Counters:

- No matter how you look at it, Glalie still suffers from it's usual threats, but Gen 7 brought a new threat with it. Parting Shot. Alolan Persian is fast enough to get a Parting Shot onto Glalie and drop it's Atk and SpA stats by 1. That plus a potential Aurora Veil means Glalie won't be doing as much as it needs to.

Final Thoughts:

Although it has a lot of Pokemon that can counter it, Glalie is still a threat in competitive play. Refrigerate explosion is a force to be reckoned with and can catch an opponent off guard if they don't expect it. I recommend adding Glalie to your Hail team as it's still a really powerful option in competitive play. These sets are both my own creation and it took me a while to get this all together, so feedback would be awesome.

I'll start shitposting on the first set. I don't know what you think the Ubers tier is, but here and here you can find st closer to the reality.
The second set is a weird meme. Inner Focus disappears where it can be really useful, Glaciate Refrigerate suddenly stops existing and Protect... who cares? Well, everyone should.

All things considered I guess that's a joke to mock the poor unuseful Glalie. And that's not fun.
I'm gonna complain.

I need to get this off my chest. 

I'm so bitter that that ugly ice death skull got a mega and its beautiful sweet-looking yuki-onna sister Froslass DIDN'T. 

WHYYYYYYYYYYYY Froslass is so pretty with pastel colors and has a cute mischievous smile... ;__;  And she has a PHD in fainting so she could really use a mega to beef up a bit. :'(  Glalie is already scary and doesn't really need one imho.
(Sep 9, 2017, 07:21 AM)Reis Wrote: eh i always belly drum smeargle, then baton pass into glalie, then i mega and use explosion.

Dude that is really evil. Haha.
Just got this guy for my team in mega melee team yesterday.  Guess this is a random covincidence :p [Image: image.jpg]
I am like a kahuna / mod / extremely confused what my role here is now ^\_('-')_/^

(Sep 9, 2017, 01:03 PM)Chansey Wrote:
(Sep 9, 2017, 07:21 AM)Reis Wrote: eh i always belly drum smeargle, then baton pass into glalie, then i mega and use explosion.

Dude that is really evil. Haha.

it was the best in oras when you would one shot these legendary spammers
@Spyro190 Thanks for the summary, I'll keep in mind to do better research next time. Glalie does not get Glaciate, and Inner Focus is not needed as much in Doubles because of Tapu Lele. That I do know.

@FireTaco ooooh nice!