Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VIDEO] Pokemon ASCII Battle Game! - Released

Download Game, Art + Code: LINK
Relive the sights and sounds of First-gen Pokémon in this classic text-based Battle Game!
Watch: Trailer Videos

Choose your Character then Start your journey: 
  • Use Pikachu, Charizard, and Eevee all the way up to rare legendaries: Zapdos, Mew and Mewtwo---all here in HD text-art glory, across four Ranks to master.
  • Fight using over 300 attacks in intense 1-on-1 battles with sounds effects for every attack---Fire, Water, Electric, Psychic and more types to unlock.
[Image: pokemon_ascii_version_battle_game____dow...cgnmk1.png]

BONUSES:
  1. Source Code (C#), so anyone and everyone can to build their own text-based battle game from the ground up!
  2. Over 300 Sound Effects---Gen I to Gen V cries and attack move sound effects!
  3. Pokémon ASCII Art Collection, an exclusive master-set of all Pokémon ascii-art through Gen V---want 18 unique Pikachu’s in adorable text-art form? Got it!
[Image: RGUohA.png]
@BellBlitzKing Congratulations! This looks awesome and incredibly ingenious! Smile

I gave a look at the source code out of curiosity --- did you choose C# because of some special feature? I used to be a C/C++ programmer back at college but it's been a while since then. Now my work is more related to functional programming languages but it rarely envolves programming at all. Sometimes I miss that!
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
So, I saw this, went "Hey, this seems pretty cool," and downloaded it.
However, I started it up and Windows Defender identified it as a virus and does not want to let it run.
Has anyone else here played this game, and, if so, did your computer react similarly? Is it actually a risk to my computer or is Windows Defender just overprotective?
(Jul 22, 2018, 09:16 PM)ToxicTarrn Wrote: So, I saw this, went "Hey, this seems pretty cool," and downloaded it.
However, I started it up and Windows Defender identified it as a virus and does not want to let it run.
Has anyone else here played this game, and, if so, did your computer react similarly? Is it actually a risk to my computer or is Windows Defender just overprotective?

@ToxicTarrn I am a Linux user, so I can't say much about the virus issue... However, I do receive a message 'An error occurred while loading the archive' when I try to open the .exe file. (If you computer has Visual Studio maybe you can also try to build it from the source code?)

Anyhow, BellBlizKing should be able to give us more useful info.
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
(Jul 23, 2018, 01:12 AM)Black Waterfall Wrote:
(Jul 22, 2018, 09:16 PM)ToxicTarrn Wrote: So, I saw this, went "Hey, this seems pretty cool," and downloaded it.

@ToxicTarrn I am a Linux user, so I can't say much about the virus issue... However, I do receive a message 'An error occurred while loading the archive' when I try to open the .exe file. (If you computer has Visual Studio maybe you can also try to build it from the source code?)

Anyhow, BellBlizKing should be able to give us more useful info.

@Black Waterfall Generally, when a game is identified as a virus by an antivirus program and it does not load properly, it's a virus.
Though, I do think a third person should come and try to open the game to see if it actually works and we're just having bad luck.
Upon further inspection, I found my antiviral program was disabled and refused to allow me to re-enable it when I downloaded the game, and once I removed it, it was turned back on.
I have concluded that this game is most likely a virus.
Game is programmed in C# Visual Studio 2017 edition, on Windows 10, if you happend to be on an older system.
It's not a Virus at all---the game is not Linux-based. The videos are linked in the thread as far as seeing the gameplay.

@ToxicTarrn I'm unsure what system you are on, you'd have to provide more info. Your C# .NET Framework may need to be updated, which is usually included in most Windows systems, but needs yearly checkups. It's unfair to assume it's a virus due to your personal system. You'll also want to extract the .zip folder before clicking the .Exe, but I'm sure you've done that.

@Black Waterfall , I chose C# as it's the language I know and the most common language in game development besides Java.
PROMO VIDEO: PokeRap ASCII Version on YouTube!

WATCH ON YOUTUBE: RELIVE THE MOMENT: youtu.be/Njez-OZmUpk

Game comes with HD Text-Art Backgrounds featured in the music video: LINK

Over 900 characters in full HD text-art glory, plus exclusives from MapleRose, the PokeWalls designer! Includes text-artists from DeviantArt, Steam, Gamespot, ASCII Art Online, Train.Board8, Gamefaqs and more.

[Image: jQKSCY.png]
[Image: dnIx2v.png]
(Jul 26, 2018, 12:46 AM)BellBlitzKing Wrote: Game is programmed in C# Visual Studio 2017 edition, on Windows 10, if you happend to be on an older system.
It's not a Virus at all---the game is not Linux-based. The videos are linked in the thread as far as seeing the gameplay.

@ToxicTarrn I'm unsure what system you are on, you'd have to provide more info. Your C# .NET Framework may need to be updated, which is usually included in most Windows systems, but needs yearly checkups. It's unfair to assume it's a virus due to your personal system. You'll also want to extract the .zip folder before clicking the .Exe, but I'm sure you've done that.

@Black Waterfall , I chose C# as it's the language I know and the most common language in game development besides Java.

I use Windows 10, and yes, I did extract the files before use. The thing is, my antiviral program was disabled while I had the files on my computer, and was re-enabled after I removed them. I found this odd and, I am sorry, but do not want to trust it without proof that a person other than the developer has gotten the game to run properly with no problems. It might just be bad luck for the both of us. I use AVG Antivirus like the rest of my family does and it seems to work just fine.