Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Why do I do this to myself: A shiny hunting discussion
I guess i'm making this post in an attempt to relieve my stress from a whole week of shiny hunting. I completed the living dex (for the shiny charm) before restarting my game, then after beating it, I decided to get the full odds shinies out of the way first, as it is my goal to catch every legendary/Ultra Beast in US/UM shiny. (with the exception of Cosmog, Lunala, Solgaleo, and the Tapus as they are shiny locked) For those who don't know, Poipole and Type: Null are given to you in the game and therefore are not affected by the shiny charm, so their odds remain at 1/4096. It took me three days, but I finally got a shiny Poipole. I am currently working on shiny Type: Null, but i'm losing motivation. The routine of taping down the circle pad to the right and putting a rubber band around L+R and spamming A through the whole interaction with Wicke and Hau is getting old. I need motivation. Shiny hunting stories, music, inspirational quotes, anything at this point would be helpful. God help me.
Doing IV training in X/Y, Horde Battling Murkrows. 10 minutes in, a shiny murkrow appears!  I catch it and continue, wishing to finish the stat I was training first, a few hordes later, then a Second! I wasn't even looking for shinies :D

Also, during the story of ORAS, the Kecleon that blocks your path later seen by the devon scope, was also shiny! Complete random encounter Smile
(Feb 7, 2019, 04:06 AM)TrickyBird Wrote: Doing IV training in X/Y, Horde Battling Murkrows. 10 minutes in, a shiny murkrow appears!  I catch it and continue, wishing to finish the stat I was training first, a few hordes later, then a Second! I wasn't even looking for shinies :D

Also, during the story of ORAS, the Kecleon that blocks your path later seen by the devon scope, was also shiny! Complete random encounter Smile

Huh

I'm sure you meant well posting here, but surely your anecdotal instances of extreme luck in finding shinies when you weren't even looking for them can't be good for OP's morale.

FWIW: Happy hunting, though @BoyBoy313!!
@BoyBoy313

Not sure how helpful this'll be, but I'd suggest Shiny hunting Type: Null in Sun and Moon instead of US/UM. You can save right in front of Gladion in the post-game and after only a few taps of A he'll give it to you. I spent the whole of my freshman spring break resetting for Type: Null this way, and I finally got him after 3,893 soft-resets. At the time, it was my longest hunt, and I was really proud of myself for sticking with it. Of course, the Relic Castle Volcarona in B2 has now passed that with 9,601 soft-resets at the current count. So...moral of the story, stick with it!

Also, if it helps, if your PC boxes are full in US/UM, COMPLETELY FULL, Wicke will actually decline giving you Type: Null and return to Aether Paradise where she'll await for you to come claim it after clearing some room. So that should speed up the process if you can catch a whole bunch of mons and fill up your PC. Having completed the Living Dex, I imagine this won't be an issue for you.

Happy hunting!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder