Pokemon Forever
Why does this exist - Printable Version

+- Pokemon Forever (http://pokemonforever.com)
+-- Forum: POKéMON (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-POK%C3%A9MON)
+--- Forum: General Pokemon Discussion (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-General-Pokemon-Discussion)
+--- Thread: Why does this exist (/Thread-Why-does-this-exist)

Pages: 1 2

Why does this exist - RetroTyphlosion - Dec 11, 2017

Mmmkay so can someone please give me ANY reason why the item Ring Target exists? I just need ONE viable use for it.

RE: Why does this exist - terrorkid94 - Dec 11, 2017

Switcheroo to give it to an enemy pokemon to get rid of type immunities
Like a ground type giving it to a flying or dragon giving it a fairy

RE: Why does this exist - Black Waterfall - Dec 11, 2017

That's a good question @RetroTyphlosion. The best answer I found was this one on pokemondb.net:

Quote:The main one would be to Trick or Switcheroo the item into the opponent to make it susceptible to a certain attack. This is incredibly gimmicky and really there are better items to use, but this could have some use in doubles where a fast Pokemon would switch the item onto a Pokemon like Gliscor and then its partner, who moves next, uses and Electric move. Of course just using an Ice moves right away is the batter solution, but it is one way it could work in at least some way.

The other, much less viable options would be:

Using it to play with Pickpocket users. Pickpocket is uncommon and can get you unwanted items like the Ring Target in the first place, so don't expect this to work well unless some guy is dumb and uses it on his Weavile.

Intentionally using it to allow certain contact moves to hit you, and you have the ability Iron Barbs or Rough Skin. For example, take a Ferrothorn with Iron Barbs. If a guy for some reason tries to use Cross Poison is something on it, it would take damage from Iron Barbs because the moves makes contact. This is such an unlikely event that you can basically forget it. The result, 1/8 of your opponent's HP gone, isn't even worth it anyway. It has some uses, but really nothing notable. It you want to mess with Gliscor and Ferrothon, give them a Scarf or something. They won't appreciate it.

but those definitively are far from reasonable motivations for using it.

RE: Why does this exist - RetroTyphlosion - Dec 11, 2017

(Dec 11, 2017, 07:12 PM)terrorkid94 Wrote: Switcheroo to give it to an enemy pokemon to get rid of type immunities
Like a ground type giving it to a flying or dragon giving it a fairy

Switcheroo has limited useage and is limited to fairly novelty-like Pokemon. Moreover, its kind of gimmicky and frankly, if your Pokemon doesn't have the coverage to take on certain types, you shouldn't be using it.

Not trying to sound rude, I appreciate the input.  Smile   I'm just looking for a truly viable option. Rep given!

RE: Why does this exist - FireTaco - Dec 11, 2017

You want to hear useless items?

Absorb Bulb and Cell Battery.

Absorb Bulb: Raises Sp. Attack if hit by water move

Cell Battery: Raises Attack if hit by electric move

Both don't give immunity to that type, just a boost if it takes the hit. 

10 bucks to anyone who can use these both successfully in Uber

RE: Why does this exist - Kris - Dec 11, 2017

@FireTaco is that a challenge?

RE: Why does this exist - Theoapo - Dec 12, 2017

@FireTaco I've seen these 2 items being used succesfully under trick room.

RE: Why does this exist - FireTaco - Dec 12, 2017

@Kris Yes

@"theoapo13" well show me the replay or battle code if there is one

RE: Why does this exist - Chansey - Dec 12, 2017

(Dec 11, 2017, 08:13 PM)FireTaco Wrote: You want to hear useless items?

Absorb Bulb and Cell Battery.

Absorb Bulb: Raises Sp. Attack if hit by water move

Cell Battery: Raises Attack if hit by electric move

Both don't give immunity to that type, just a boost if it takes the hit. 

10 bucks to anyone who can use these both successfully in Uber

I could see these being used with a switchin to a Pokemon with Volt Absorb or Water Absorb;  considering the types, perhaps that's what they're meant for..?  I mean if you have, like,  a Gyarados out there, it baits a Thunderbolt pretty well to switch in to a Volt Absorb Lanturn.  But that's how I would use it in theory,  anyway;  I'm not sure if anyone actually does that.

RE: Why does this exist - RetroTyphlosion - Dec 12, 2017

@Black Waterfall I found that article too during my research! Great minds think alike!

While he did list the best options, like he said, they're all EXTREMELY gimmicky. Like, if your Pokemon doesn't have enough coverage to hit an opponent without a Ring Target, then you shouldn't use it. Moreover, Pickpocket is a TERRIBLE strategy (and you'd really be baiting nobody since nobody uses it), and the whole Rough Skin thing is just.... well... dumb. There are better items to use (I.E. Rocky Helmet), and the event that someone hits you with a move you're normally immune to is incredibly unlikely unless you're playing a 3 year old. 

My theory (that apparently no one on the internet has thought of), is hitting your partner Pokemon in a Double Battle with a move they'd be immune to normally. Like, say you had a Ghost-type Pokemon on the field, and you wanted to Swagger it with your other Pokemon and get an Attack Boost. Ring Target and you can do that. Its still dumb, and there are better options, but its the most viable thing I can come up with.

Thank you for the input, though. I appreciate it! Rep given.

We should battle Pokemon some time!

-Retro