Pokemon Forever
[DISCUSSION] Building My First Competitive Team - Printable Version

+- Pokemon Forever (http://pokemonforever.com)
+-- Forum: POKéMON (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-POK%C3%A9MON)
+--- Forum: Competitive Pokemon Discussion (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Pokemon-Discussion)
+--- Thread: [DISCUSSION] Building My First Competitive Team (/Thread-DISCUSSION-Building-My-First-Competitive-Team)

Building My First Competitive Team - Avii - Apr 5, 2018

Hello, everyone! I am an absolute beginner in the competitive scene. However I want a team that revolves around Mega Gallde and a Protean Greninja. As a matter of fact, I already bred a competitive Froakie. It is Timid natured and knows the moves: Ice Beam, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory, and Hydro Pump. It has max IVs in Hp, Defense, Sp. Attack, Sp. Defense, and Speed. I have yet to start work on Gallade as Im not sure what nature I should go for yet or what kind of strategy best suits him. I'm looking for suggestions on what pokemon would best support these two and what natures and moves they should have. Thanks!

RE: Building My First Competitive Team - croissant - Apr 5, 2018

in what format would you use this team? vgc? smogon singles? if we dont know, we cant really help you out with your team.

RE: Building My First Competitive Team - Avii - Apr 5, 2018

(Apr 5, 2018, 02:14 PM)yung lord Wrote: in what format would you use this team? vgc? smogon singles? if we dont know, we cant really help you out with your team.

I would be using them in Singles

RE: Building My First Competitive Team - Black Waterfall - Apr 6, 2018

Because Smogon works with tiering systems (OU, UU, RU, NU, Ubers, Monotype etc.) the next thing you need to know is what metagame do you want to play. I suppose you have OU in mind?

Then you can check what are the main threats of this metagame (using a tool such as Pikalytics) and start planning a team that can deal with those threats. In OU that would be mons such as: Landorus-T, Magearna, Tapu Koko, Kartana, Chansey etc.

Greninja-Ash has a much higher usage than Protean Greninja in OU (at the time of writting Greninja-Ash has 16.80% and Greninja 11.06% according to Pikalytics).

From the moveset you mentioned it looks like you want it to be an all-out special attacker, but in that case wouldn't Greninja-Ash be better for that role? Otherwise this Offensive Protean Greninja would need Choice Specs to be viable, but in that case the unpredictability aspect of the Protean ability is totally lost... It would be nice if Protean Greninja could deceive your opponent and fake Battle Bond, but that seems impossible after the first turn since your Protean ability will be revealed after it makes a move.

I am not saying that it is impossible to use Protean Greninja in OU and that you should go for Greninja-Ash, only that maybe an all-out special attacker set is not the best choice for the former mon. Greninja is an awesome pivot or hazard setter. Even in an offensive role it is temporarily a far superior mon because until Greninja-Ash transforms it has a useless ability!