Pokemon Forever
[RATE MY TEAM] Mega Venusaur Team - Printable Version

+- Pokemon Forever (http://pokemonforever.com)
+-- Forum: POKéMON (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-POK%C3%A9MON)
+--- Forum: Competitive Pokemon Discussion (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Pokemon-Discussion)
+--- Thread: [RATE MY TEAM] Mega Venusaur Team (/Thread-RATE-MY-TEAM-Mega-Venusaur-Team--24873)

Pages: 1 2

Mega Venusaur Team - cfencl - Apr 9, 2018

Hi

I want to build the best competitive team possible centered around some of my favorite Pokémon. My favorite Pokémon of all time is Venusaur. Please help me out. Here is some info to help understand what I’m going for. I am open to any suggestions/changes, this is just what I’ve come up with so far. I have no clear strategy I want to use or style I want to play except the best possible one with my favorite Pokémon.

1. Venusaur-Mega= Holding Venusaurite
    1. Nature= Modest
    2. Giga Drain
    3. Sludge bomb
    4. Leech seed
    5. Synthesis
  2. Garchomp= Holding Rocky Helmet
    1. Nature= Jolly
    2. Earthquake
    3. Dragon Rush
    4. Rock Slide
    5. ?
  3. Greninja= Holding Life Orb
    1. Nature= Timid
    2. Scald
    3. Ice beam
    4. Dark pulse
    5. U turn
  4. Arcanine= Holding ?
    1. Nature= Adamant
    2. Flare blitz
    3. Wild charge
    4. Extreme speed
    5. Roar
  5. Sylveon= Holding Leftovers
    1. Nature= Bold
    2. Dazzling gleam
    3. Protect
    4. ?
    5. ?
  6. ? I was think about Heracross, Lucario, Skarmory or Crobat here but I’m not sure.

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - AverageJoe - Apr 9, 2018

dont use dragon rush, dragon claw is just better overall, much less of a chance to miss.  also you did not mention the iv spreads, or abilities. for example, if you plan to run pixelate on Sylveon, you would want hyper voice on it instead of dazzling gleam. Also, you have an offensive Garchomp. You normally would not run a rocky helmet on an offensive pokemon. Speaking of tanks, you barely have one. You can easily switch venusaur into a tank, but dont run modest and put defensive ivs, and dont run modest. run bold.  Sylveon is okay as a special wall, not a physical wall. You should also run a special wall. For example, chansey is an amazing special wall. Finally it'd make the whole world a lot easier if you put your formatting in showdown format. You did not give me abilities or effort values but as of now heres what they should be. Please copy them. It'd make my help less taxing on my eyes. You also do not have hazards, or hazard control. If your opponent has entry hazards, every time arcanine comes in a quarter of his health is gone. 

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite  
Ability: Thick Fat  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Giga Drain  
- Sludge Bomb  
- Leech Seed  
- Synthesis

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet  
Ability: Sand Veil  
Jolly Nature  
- Dragon Rush  
- Earthquake  
- Rock Slide

Greninja @ Life Orb  
Ability: Torrent  
Timid Nature  
- Ice Beam  
- Scald  
- U-turn  
- Dark Pulse

Arcanine  
Ability: Justified  
Adamant Nature  
- Wild Charge  
- Flare Blitz  
- Roar  
- Extreme Speed

Sylveon @ Leftovers  
Ability: Cute Charm  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Protect

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - Black Waterfall - Apr 9, 2018

@cfencl Alternatively, you can run Rocky Helmet on Defensive (Intimidate) Arcanine.

Now that Garchomp has a free item slot maybe Dragonium Z plus Outrage (instead of Dragon Rush) would not be a bad idea. Since you definitively need a hazard setter you can also have Stealth Rocks for Garchomp's fourth move.

I agree with @AverageJoe that you need some hazard control. Being more specific maybe you should consider adding a spinner or defogger to your team. In OU we have (please correct me if I am wrong) Tapu Fini, Latios, Excadrill, Kartana, Skarmory, Scizor, Zapdos — to name a few.

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - cfencl - Apr 12, 2018

This is good advice. Would crobat be a good hazard control pokemon?

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - cfencl - Apr 12, 2018

Also, in your opinion, what're the best pokemon to start with and then finish with?

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - Black Waterfall - Apr 12, 2018

@cfencl In my opinion, there are at least three things you should consider: 
  1. Golbat will always lose 1/4 of its HP upon switching when Stealth Rocks is active;
  2. Flying-types such as Golbat are immune to the Toxic Spikes, meaning that you cannot use Golbat to absorb Toxic Spikes even though it is a Poison-type as well;
  3. Golbat will need a lot of bulk investment and Roost.
I will not say that it is impossible to make it work as a defogger (this thread is a little outdated but it may be helpful to you), but maybe there are other choices available that will fit better in your team. This is a Gen V Smogon article about defoggers and spinners.

You might want to check this very nice Smogon article about lead Pokemon too.  Big Grin

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - cfencl - Apr 17, 2018

Thank you very much Black Waterfall and Average Joe, I appreciate the help. Do you recommend any other article about competitive team building you recommend reading?

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - PerchPond - Apr 18, 2018

@cfencl You haven't stated if it's for singles, doubles, triples, rotation battle, any specific format such as VGC, Smogon OU singles etc, what game/gen it's for, so any advice would be completely senseless since we don't even know what the team is for; there is no uniform "best competetive team", only those specific to a format.

Cheers

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - cfencl - Apr 22, 2018

@PerchPond I apologize. I would be playing Pokemon Ultra Moon VGC. I like double battles the most. I just want to come up with the best strategy possible with some of my favorite pokemon.

RE: Mega Venusaur Team - Black Waterfall - Apr 22, 2018

(Apr 22, 2018, 03:32 PM)cfencl Wrote: I would be playing Pokemon Ultra Moon VGC. I like double battles the most. I just want to come up with the best strategy possible with some of my favorite pokemon.

@cfencl Oh, in that case you shouldn't have to worry about hazard control that much. Please forget what I said before, I shouldn't have assumed you were planning to play singles! (Thanks, PerchPond!)

I don't play VGC but I am sure many people here are very well-suited to give you tips about VGC teambuilding!