Pokemon Forever
[REQUEST] Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - Printable Version

+- Pokemon Forever (http://pokemonforever.com)
+-- Forum: POKéMON (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-POK%C3%A9MON)
+--- Forum: Competitive Pokemon Discussion (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Pokemon-Discussion)
+---- Forum: Competitive Discussion Archive (http://pokemonforever.com/Forum-Competitive-Discussion-Archive)
+---- Thread: [REQUEST] Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed (/Thread-REQUEST-Sun-team-for-battlespot-doubles-advice-needed)

Pages: 1 2

Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - bradar485 - Oct 9, 2015

[Image: 006-mega-y.gif]  [Image: 003.gif]
So I've always really liked the Zard Y/ HA Venusaur combo and have been too lazy to get these guys until recently(Thanks community, you guys are the best)
But I'm not expirienced with them, so I'm in the teambuilding process and would like some advice.

I'm thinking of a framework along the lines of: venuszard lead, 1 alternate lead for the situations that these bro's can't handle and two support/coverage characters.

[Image: 479-wash.gif]
I was considering Rotom-W for it's type synergy with Venus and Zard, also Lando fears it and he's one character capable of breaking through this lead with the right partner. but I'm not sure it's a great idea because of it's dampened damage in the sun, what are you're opinions on this internet?

[Image: 645-therian.gif]
Then that made me think my own lando would be a good character to support these bros. In the sun he has less to fear from water, leaving one weakness that Zard is usually equipped to deal with.

This is as far as I've gotten. I didn't play competitive in gen 5 so I'm not as familiar with weather teams as I should be. I've played around with weavile on the team for it's quick ice attacks but I'm not sure and could use some help deciding how to stat some of these characters and take suggestions for where to go from here in general.

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - Shachi - Oct 9, 2015

Charizard Y, venusaur, Lando-T, Zapdos, aegislash and hydreigon is my sun team :P I don't feel the need for a water type on this team really.

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - bradar485 - Oct 9, 2015

Hm, I think zapdos is a good idea for an electric special attacker/support character for the team that's a good idea. I don't have a useable hydreigon right now. Aegislash doesn't have issues with the sun?

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - Shachi - Oct 9, 2015

Aegislash does not have any problems no, I use it for Wide Guard mostly to ruin the opponents heat wave. Other then that it's got great resistances. one of the best imo.
And hydreigon + aegislash provide good checks for eatchother.

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - bradar485 - Oct 9, 2015

(Oct 9, 2015, 09:10 PM)Shachi Wrote: Aegislash does not have any problems no, I use it for Wide Guard mostly to ruin the opponents heat wave. Other then that it's got great resistances. one of the best imo.
And hydreigon + aegislash provide good checks for eatchother.

Wide guard was a concern of mine because of that pesky 4xrock weakness Zard has. And Aegislash is a heck of a pokemon. This will be considered.

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - RebornFX - Oct 10, 2015

I like Aegislash for this team. It provides answers to fairies and Cresslia, as well as Metagross which can be annoying if your Charizard is weakened. It also fairs pretty well vs rain.

An option you should probably take in to consideration is double Mega. For teams that are weak to sun mode, you can mega Charizard and abuse Venusaur's Chlorophyll, while for Match ups that Sun struggles with, Mega Venusaur often fairs pretty well. People will normally over prepare for a sun mode, often leading them to be rather weak to Mega Venusaur. For this, I would recommend at least 60 speed EVs to outspeed Scarf Landorus-T in the Sun. If you do choose this option, I would choose sleep powder as being able to outspeed a Pokemon and put them to sleep in the Sun (assuming you hit) can prove to be invaluable. Obviously this comes at the cost of your item, and being forced to run a more bulky Venusaur meaning you may not pick up important KOs that you otherwise could. Other options are Life Orb, Focus Sash and Wide Lens (Assuming you are running Sleep Powder).

An option I like for fast Ice-type STAB is Scarf Mamoswine. While not particularly bulky and its success being rather matchup based, it is a great option against Lando, Thundy and Mega Mence. It is also able to freely EQ next to Rotom and Charizard, being able to deal out Heatran. If you were to use Mamo it would probably need to replace Landorus.

For a final mon, I would suggest something with Speed control as Charizard isn't the fastest of Pokemon and other than Venu in te sun and Scarf Mamoswine, your team is fairly slow. I would also recommend something that has a decent matchup versus  Talonflame. While Rotom has a good matchup against it, it's priority Brave bird can Nuke a lot of your team. I like Cresselia because of its massive bulk, ability to get crucial chip damage damage with psychic, access to Thunder Wave for a permanent form of speed control. It also appreciates the Sun if you intend you use Moonlight for recovery.

These are just suggestions and I haven't tested any of this. If you do try any of these, test it out and try to cover any weaknesses you find.

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - bradar485 - Oct 11, 2015

I like your optimism but I'm very Leary for double Mega teams. I don't like feeling as though I'm running two seperate teams.
Also Mega dependancy is a worry of mine. Sun dependancy too. In a world of limited weather I like running it light. So I'd rather just run maybe two characters who really utilize the sun.

Why is sun so much more difficult for me to wrap my head around than rain XO

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - Shachi - Oct 11, 2015

(Oct 11, 2015, 07:34 PM)bradar485 Wrote: I like your optimism but I'm very Leary for double Mega teams. I don't like feeling as though I'm running two seperate teams.
Also Mega dependancy is a worry of mine. Sun dependancy too. In a world of limited weather I like running it light. So I'd rather just run maybe two characters who really utilize the sun.

Why is sun so much more difficult for me to wrap my head around than rain XO

I agree with this, two megas is not a solution it creates more of a problem imo.
Most of my battles in VGC battles i rarely even have to pull my mega out. A well built team is well built with or with out the mega.
Coverage and speed control is more important. It's like when people run two trick room setters in a trick room team, not don't see anyone at the top level of VGC doing that, the furthest they go would be trick room + tailwind (see Lajos Woltersdorfs team from this years worlds)

Side note; I've been using assault vest on my lando-T. I love it alot you should try it. he can tank the ice beams and survive for an extra turn.

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - Aether - Oct 12, 2015

I personally run lightening rod Raichu with my sun team. Handy counter to thundurus and can OHKO lando and has a faster fake-out than M-Kang

Can't remember the specific EV spread but

Raichu @ Focus sash
Ability: lightening rod
Timid nature
- Fake out
- Hidden power ice
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

RE: Sun team for battlespot doubles. advice needed - Shachi - Oct 12, 2015

(Oct 12, 2015, 06:56 AM)Aether Wrote: I personally run lightening rod Raichu with my sun team. Handy counter to thundurus and can OHKO lando and has a faster fake-out than M-Kang

Can't remember the specific EV spread but

Raichu @ Focus sash
Ability: lightening rod
Timid nature
- Fake out
- Hidden power ice
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

you have a 6.3% chance to OHKO with HP ice. and that's with Modest nature max SpA EV.