Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Tapu Koko+Alolan Raichu combo
So now that I've been breeding competitive Pokémon over the past week, I want to start putting together a VGC team. One of the possible combinations I have access to is Tapu Koko and Raichu. The sets I'm running for are these:

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Naive nature
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 Atk
-Wild Charge
-Volt Switch
-Dazzling Gleam
-Protect

My issue is that I don't have a Timid nature one. The one I caught is Naive so that's all I have to work with right now. Wild Charge hits hard and can take down special walls easier, Volt Switch for positioning, Dazzling Gleam for STAB and spread damage.

Raichu @ Focus Sash
Timid nature
252 SpAtk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Fake Out
-Electric Terrian
-Thunderbolt
-Speed Swap/Psychic

Fake Out support, Electric Terrian gives me another option if Tapu Koko goes down, and the other two are STAB attacks. I kind of want to run Speed Swap though so I can bring in a slower Pokémon and give it ridiculous speed. Not sure what to run at the moment

I just need some feedback on the sets and also some good Pokémon to pair these two with!
One the flaws of Tapu Koko + A-Raichu lead is the fact that A-Marowak (which is really popular on BS right now) completely shuts down their Electric-type attacks and threatens both of them with Bonemerang (a 2 hits move that bypasses your Focus Sash too).

This shouldn't stop you from using this combo, however you would need to play as smart as possible against A-Marowak, the random Scarf Garchomp you may encounter and against other Tapus too.

The first thing you can do is to add a Gyarados whose Intimidate and Water/Flying-type is a great switch-in against an opposing A-Marowak and Garchomp. However it doesn't give you a safe switch against a strong LO Psychic from Tapu Lele in Psychic Terrain and you still take a lot of damage from a -1 Wood Hammer from Tapu Bulu, which means you should definetely add a Steel type in your team. The one who would fit perfectly in this core would be Celesteela: bulky Steel/Flying-type, it can switch into Psychic, Ground and Grass moves without problems and it has access to Wide Guard and Heavy Slam to threaten the opposing Tapus.

This is just an input, you can find alternatives too but the idea of having safe switches to keep the momentum in your favor is not bad at all.
(Dec 5, 2016, 01:23 PM)GiMYz Wrote: One the flaws of Tapu Koko + A-Raichu lead is the fact that A-Marowak (which is really popular on BS right now) completely shuts down their Electric-type attacks and threatens both of them with Bonemerang (a 2 hits move that bypasses your Focus Sash too).

This shouldn't stop you from using this combo, however you would need to play as smart as possible against A-Marowak, the random Scarf Garchomp you may encounter and against other Tapus too.

The first thing you can do is to add a Gyarados whose Intimidate and Water/Flying-type is a great switch-in against an opposing A-Marowak and Garchomp. However it doesn't give you a safe switch against a strong LO Psychic from Tapu Lele in Psychic Terrain and you still take a lot of damage from a -1 Wood Hammer from Tapu Bulu, which means you should definetely add a Steel type in your team. The one who would fit perfectly in this core would be Celesteela: bulky Steel/Flying-type, it can switch into Psychic, Ground and Grass moves without problems and it has access to Wide Guard and Heavy Slam to threaten the opposing Tapus.

This is just an input, you can find alternatives too but the idea of having safe switches to keep the momentum in your favor is not bad at all.

Thank you for the detailed response! Gyarados would fit into this team nicely and I was already thinking about using Celesteela because, let's face it, it's the face of the meta right now.

If my opponent is using a Tapu, I most likely won't lead with Tapu Koko. I'll start him in the back and switch out turn 1 and already have Raichu on the field. I have no idea how viable this team will be, but it's the only strategy I have access to given what I've bred for in the game so far.
The thing about Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu is it can get easily shut down with a Lightening Rod user or even a bulky ground-type like Mudsdale, Gastrodon, Krookodile, or even AV/scarf Garchomp, which is becoming a bit popular. In terms of movesets, consider whether or not you want to have Discharge to hit the opposing targets who don't appreciate the Electric-type weakness or potential paralysis. Definitely consider slashing Volt Switch for Discharge as a consideration. Wild Charge is a good option to have as a single target Electric-type STAB to actually OHKO Nihilego without potential Focus Sashes. In terms of Raichu-A's moveset, I'm not so sure about having Speed Swap or Electric Terrain on the same moveset. Definitely consider Psychic since this core is battered by opposing Poison-types. For the last slot is essentially whether you want something like Encore for disruption, Feint to break protection, or if you want power Aloraichium Z for its Z Move (might replace Sash) or Volt Tackle.
(Dec 5, 2016, 08:19 PM)Black117 Wrote: The thing about Tapu Koko and Alolan Raichu is it can get easily shut down with a Lightening Rod user or even a bulky ground-type like Mudsdale, Gastrodon, Krookodile, or even AV/scarf Garchomp, which is becoming a bit popular. In terms of movesets, consider whether or not you want to have Discharge to hit the opposing targets who don't appreciate the Electric-type weakness or potential paralysis. Definitely consider slashing Volt Switch for Discharge as a consideration. Wild Charge is a good option to have as a single target Electric-type STAB to actually OHKO Nihilego without potential Focus Sashes. In terms of Raichu-A's moveset, I'm not so sure about having Speed Swap or Electric Terrain on the same moveset. Definitely consider Psychic since this core is battered by opposing Poison-types. For the last slot is essentially whether you want something like Encore for disruption, Feint to break protection, or if you want power Aloraichium Z for its Z Move (might replace Sash) or Volt Tackle.

Yeah, I really want this duo to work but with the meta what it is right now, I'm starting to see that it's not very viable. I might still try it out regardless, especially if I can get my hands on a good Celesteela and Gyarados because I think those two really help. I like the Raichu advice though and I'll make the changes. Thanks!