Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] First attempt at trying to come up with a team
This is my first time trying to come up with a team for competing other people, so right now it's more a heavy theory-crafting idea and very incomplete. I really just want to know if I'm remotely on the right track. The Pokémon were initially picked to balance each other's type weaknesses. 

Kommo-o @ not sure 
Type: Dragon/Fighting 
Ability: Not Sure
EV: Not Sure
Nature: Not Sure
Moves
Roar
Rest
Dragon Claw
​​​​​​Not sure 
Role: P-hazer

Not going to repeat all the not sures for everything
Alolan Sandslash
Type: Ice/Steel
Moves
Earthquake
Rapid Spin
Iron Defense
Ice or Steel type attack move
Not sure the terminology but basically able to survive a bit and remove field hazards. I really want a sandslash on my team so I'm not opposed to breaking it all down to "has sandslash" and building it up from there, or building a team where one or the other variety of sandslash fits (or both) 

Whiscash (Water/Ground)  and Talonflame (Fire/Flying) sweepers. I've actually got a Talonflame right now and like it, but my strategy in game was basically just attack, attack, attack and I don't know what moves actually support it in those roles. 

Mimikyu (Ghost/Fairy) Annoyer
Alolan Muk. I have also actually used this and enjoyed playing and I'm hoping I can find a role for it here,

This is about all I've got. I think there are questions I don't even know how to ask, so I need someone else to look at it to progress.
First what game type is this for. Battlespot singles or doubles, VGC, smogon singles or doubles. That info is really needed because the game types meta has significant relevance for recommended sets and team structure.

I can give some vague tips however for using alolan sandslash. I wouldn't worry about having rapid spin unless your playing smogon  and even then sandslash is easy to OHKO because of his 3 common weaknesses 2 of which being 4x making him in my experience a glass cannon. I recommend using slush rush and making him a physical sweeper. Having Hail up is important when playing with sandslash luckily Alolan Ninetales is a good weather setter and overall a good pokemon with access to Aurora Veil and Encore.

Overall playing with Sandslash in singles is a little tough due to the fact that having hail up is must for him to work making Battlespot Singles rough considering 1 of your 3 pokemon are required to make Sandslash playable. Smogon is easier to pull off because it's 6v6. I don't have much experience in doubles but I heard of Tapu Bulu being used with him because it effectively makes Earthquake 1x damage to him but then sandslash can't use an earthquake of his own.

With more info of the format your wanting a team for I maybe able to help. Komono-o isn't that good of a Dragon from what I've heard.
(Apr 11, 2017, 05:12 PM)Kidakairis Wrote: First what game type is this for. Battlespot singles or doubles, VGC, smogon singles or doubles. That info is really needed because the game types meta has significant relevance for recommended sets and team structure.

Battle spot singles is what I was thinking of for this, but I also don't think I fully realized how much format changes team setup. So that's a thing I didn't even know how to ask.
(Apr 12, 2017, 06:52 AM)pangthagerous Wrote:
(Apr 11, 2017, 05:12 PM)Kidakairis Wrote: First what game type is this for. Battlespot singles or doubles, VGC, smogon singles or doubles. That info is really needed because the game types meta has significant relevance for recommended sets and team structure.

Battle spot singles is what I was thinking of for this, but I also don't think I fully realized how much format changes team setup. So that's a thing I didn't even know how to ask.

Ok well pretty much since battlespot singles is 3v3 I personally wouldn't put rapid spin on Sandslash because stealth rocks is only common in smogon also as a stated I prefer a sweeper set for my Sandslash. The reason format is important is because you have to worry about threats relevant to current meta and 3v3 weather teams can be hard to pull off because 1 of your pokemon (Sandslash) will be always rely on your 1 of your other Pokemon (Ninetales). Because you are doing BSS I would start by trying other Pokemon that could work with Ninetales.

I once had some success with a team that used Mega Salamance as an alternative sweeper. I used Ninetales to set up Aurora Veil switched to Salamance, throwing my opponent off guard because they expected Sandslah and got off a Dragon Dance as a result to sweep. In a nutshell what I am saying is in BSS never have only a single strategy. If your team is so shallow that your only way to sweep is with Sandslash your opponent will take advantage of this.

For instance Mega Charizard Y could run circles around your team because it can be used as a lead mega evo to set up sunny day then use fire moves OHKO both Ninetales and Sandslash. I still see Mega Charizard Y fairly often on BSS. You will want something on your team to not only counter it but other fire types that maybe able to take advantage of your team. Choice Scarf Landorus T works pretty well it will outspeed all other leads without a Choice Scarf and carrying Stone Edge and STAB Earthquake should deal with most Fire types. Landorus T also has intimidate and U turn. It's biggest weakness is Ice which you could switch out to Ninetales or Sandslash (both of them resist) giving you some synergy.

The biggest threat your team faces is solely building it around the Ninetales-Sandslash strategy because if your opponent sees this in the team preview he will be able to set up a counter strategy to throw you off and cost you the game. I suggest reading more about the BSS meta to see what the biggest threats of the format are and make sure your team is prepared for all the major threats. Team building is time consuming but in time you will start seeing benefits as you work on your team.
My setup for BSS was the same as my battle tree team and ive had pretty good success with it.

Mimikyu
type- fairy, ghost
ability- disguise
nature- jolly
item- life orb
evs- 252 spe, 252 atk, 4 hp
moveset- swords dance, play rough, shadow sneak, leech life

Greninja
type- wter, dark (changes with protean though)
ability-protean
nature- timid
item- focus sash/ expert belt
evs- 252 spe, 252 sp.atk, 4 hp
moveset- ice beam, grass knot, surf, hidden power (fire)

Charizard
type- fire, flying ( mega x- fire, dragon)
ability- blaze (changes to tough claws in mega x form)
nature- jolly
item- charizardite x
evs- 252 spe, 252 atk, 4hp
moveset- dragon dance, fire punch, thunder punch, focus punch

Hope this helps. Mimkyu is very underrated, with the right setup, i OHKO legendarys :D

also, wouldnt recommend sandslash unless its for doubles, sandslash needs hidden ability slush rush and ninetails to be of any use. would get ko'ed by any fast fire types otherwise.

whiscash is pretty great, since it knows both earthquake and muddy water. both moves would get stab.

talonflame- traded a bewear for it and havent seen it since, i think its in the back of my boxes. not sure if its good since i havent used it.

mimikyu- best pokemon out there.

have fun!!!!