1 16.67%
All Our Favorite Dragon Pokemon!
66.67%
4 66.67%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] The Coolest Unmade Pokémon! - with 0kamii
Hey, everybody! It's 0kamii, and since I'm not doing another VGC analysis until next week, you'll just have to settle for this!

So, I've mentioned in several of my pervious posts that I'm an English major in real-life, and that requires me to study and learn a lot about everything. Even some of the most obscure cultures and traditions the world over. As result, I get exposed to a lot of fascinating ideas and concepts that I've come to believe would make phenomenal pokemon should Nintendo ever decide to branch out a bit more. As I go through them, I'm be sure to list what I think their Type should be, their possible abilities, and maybe a name if I can manage something witty enough. That being said, let's jump in.

1) The Ahuizotl
[Image: 23ro113.jpg]

I love Aztec mythology (also known as Nahua), and if you study their mythos, it's full of bizarre creatures like this one. But the reason I chose the ahuizotl (ow-ee-zoh-tl) is because it has one of the easier names to pronounce, and I think the idea of a monkey-jaguar with a fifth appendage at the end of its tail just screams pokemon! This thing is known for having a tricky nature, and stories course throughout Mesoamerica of the ahuizotl drowning their prey, as well as unsuspecting traveller. Thus, I think this thing would make an excellent Dark/Water-Type. The Dark-Type to reflect its mischievious nature, and Water-Type becuase it supposedly lives and hunts near rivers in the jungle. For an ability, I think the ahuizotl pokemon could have Long Reach. That's makes sense, right? If not, I think Intimidate would work too. As for a name, the since the Nahuatl word for jaguar is ocelotl, and the Spanish word for 'wicked, evil' is mal, how about Malcelotl? It would mean wicked jaguar, and I think that'd be amazing!

2) The Huitzilin
[Image: 3652790D483351FE711A2C51FE6F1B.jpg]

Can you tell I'm a fan of Nahuatl culture? Gees. Sorry, but I just couldn't pass this one up either. The Nahua huitzilin (weet-zil-in) is said to be the emissary of the divine god Huitzilopochtli. I'm not sure why it's taken Nintendo so long to give us a hummingbird pokemon, but I think this is fantastic opportunity! The huitzilin, and by extension Huitzilopochtli, is the Nahuatl god of fire, and the patron god of the cardinal direction South. Therefore, I think an appropriate typing for this hummingbird would be Fire/Flying. I know we have plenty of those already, but since Huitzilopochtli is also the god of war, I think making this thing a mixed attacker with lots of Speed would be the way to go. As for an ability, I really don't know. But maybe since it's the god of war and fire, every time a pokemon of that type enters the field it can get an Attack boost? Just food for thought. As for its name though, I'm thinking Huitzing. A mix of huitzilin, and humming, to reflect its origins as both a hummingbird and a Nahuatl deity.

3) The Binturong
[Image: c8b89f785ed6eac03454ec8caf45c594.jpg]

Here's the first case of a real-life creature and not some folktale or myth. The binturong is native to southeast Asia and inhabits many of its tropical forests. You don't see these things in the wild very often because unfortunately, they're endangered. Mostly because of deforestation. Mostly omnivorous, these critters will get their paws on just about anything that can fit in their mouths. You'll commonly see them in zoos where they're reported to be playful and sneaky. It is also commonly known as the bearcat, but it's actually a member of the weasel family. Since this thing lives in rainforests, I think the Grass/Water typing would be appropriate for this adorable little omnivore. For an ability, it could have Run Away to remind everyone that it's endangered, but a more competitive ability would probably be Adaptability. Just to remind everyone that there's still a chance for it to make a comeback. As for a name...Ambilis, 'both cats'. Feel free to suggest other ones in the comments below!

4) The Tardigrade
[Image: blog-2e209.jpg?v=1.0.0]

This is pretty iconic photo, but in case you've miraculously never seen it before, this is a tardigrade. Sometimes referred to as a water bear. I'll keep it short, these guys are virtually unkillable. I never truly understood the science behind these things, and you're feel to search it for yourself if you want, but there's something about the way these little guys are built that let's them withstand just about any environment/condition that gets throw their way. They're also incredibly small. This is what's known as a microorganism, and this particular photo I believe has been magnified 1000 times! That's how tiny these guys are. For a type, I think a plain Normal-Type would reflect their neutral palette perfectly. Since this pokemon is probably going to be completely defensive, Filter might be good. Then again, that could make it overpowered and, welll...unkillable. Instead maybe Immunity. That way it can't be Toxic-stalled. As for a name, I think Omnivor. That's a mix of omni, the prefix for 'all, all-encompassing' and 'survivor.' I think that's pretty fitting.

5) The Dingonek
[Image: dingonek-2_flanar.png]

And the last one I have to share with you guys comes from African folklore. The dingonek, which is depicted in this image in the lower lefthand corner, is sometimes known as "The Jungle Walrus." It is supposedly a scaly, reptile like creature that lives in the Congolese jungles, specifically the Democratic Republic of the Congo. It is also reported to live in rivers, and have massive saber-tooth teeth, hence the name Jungle Walrus. While the reports of its size haven't been consistent, this thing has been frequently sighted by travelers and native for centuries, so maybe there's actually some truth to thing one? Who knows, but either way, this thing would make such a cool pokemon! Since it lives in the jungle, I think the dingonek should also have the Water/Grass typing, because of it living in jungle rivers. As for the ability, Strong Jaw might be appropriate because of that massive mouth we can see there. And for a name, how about Congodile? That way it pays homage to its roots in Congolese folklore, and lets everyone know that it's a saber-toothed crocodile-like reptile? I like it, so I'd name it that.

Well, those are all the cool pokemon I have thought of. Feel free to suggest ones you'd love to see in the comments below. I think all of these creatures would make amazing pokemon, and fingers crossed that Nintendo decides to implement at least the ahuizotl in Gen 8. I'll read you all later, and battle onwards friends!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@0kamii I just learned what a Binturong was about a week ago. There needs to be a Pokémon. And I don't know why there isn't a hummingbird, either (or a actual flamingo, not just Aromatisse, for that matter). Oh, and I don't care what the vote says. Once I get my newly improved Trick Room team finished, You and I shall FIGHT!
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
Only problem with #4 is that Omivore and Omnivor would get very confusing.
@RetroTyphlosion Yes, we will certainly battle regardless of the poll outcome, count on that. And yeah, I really don't know why we don't have a hummingbird pokemon. It'd be really cool and I think the huitzilin is a perfect candidate. Also, isn't the binturong one of the cutest critters you've ever seen? I can totally see it being that generic Route 1 Normal-Type. I hope not, but it's a possibility.

@Reis Yeah, I noticed that after I typed it, but I really can't think of anything else. If I was a bit more creative I could probably think of something better, but unfortunately this is all I have for now. I'd still love to hear from you, though. What cool and awesome critters do you know of that would make really cool mons?

- 0kamii

(Jun 12, 2017, 04:13 PM)0kamii Wrote: @RetroTyphlosion Yes, we will certainly battle regardless of the poll outcome, count on that. And yeah, I really don't know why we don't have a hummingbird pokemon. It'd be really cool and I think the huitzilin is a perfect candidate. Also, isn't the binturong one of the cutest critters you've ever seen? I can totally see it being that generic Route 1 Normal-Type. I hope not, but it's a possibility.

@Reis Yeah, I noticed that after I typed it, but I really can't think of anything else. If I was a bit more creative I could probably think of something better, but unfortunately this is all I have for now. I'd still love to hear from you, though. What cool and awesome critters do you know of that would make really cool mons?

- 0kamii

@0kamii Well, glad you responded. So, when I first heard of the Binturong, I found out that it smells like popcorn. Perhaps GF could turn this in to an ability/Attack? And would it be an attacker or a defensive Pokémon? 
And here's some more creatures that need to be a Pokémon
1. Flamingo
2. Dolphin
3. Orca
4. Quetzal Bird
5. Betta Fish
6.Archerfish
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!
@0kamii  I think a Quetzalcoatl would be nice
A flying type because of the feathers and a dragon because of it's relation to mythology

I think we need more poison types, so if I were to make one it would be a design simillar to that of raikou, but it would be far more sinister. It would be a Dark/Poison type and it would have a high speed stat and could be an early sweeper.
@RetroTyphlosion My partner actually told me about that, that Binturong smell like popcorn. I didn't believe it, but I guess it's actually true. Who'd knew? Of that list you gave me, I think I'd want a dolphin pokemon the most. Specifically a rhinoceros dolphin. Here's a depiction:

[Image: latest?cb=20131023113013]
 I just love the two fins, and I think this thing would make an awesome dolphin pokemon. The white spots give it a touch of elegance that I think really tops it off.

@Reis If you want Poison-Types, I may have what you're looking for. Below is a depiction of the J'ba FoFi, a supposed giant spider living in the jungles of central Africa. Wouldn't this thing make a great Poison-Type? Being that large, there's no way it wouldn't be a sweeper!

[Image: 13457917_f520.jpg]

I've always thought a South American based pokemon region  would be amazing :D Digimon did the most amazing job on their Quetzalcoatl. I imagine Pokemon has seen the possibilities and is saving such a vast opportunity for later on down the line; same with Africa probably, lol Pokemon in north Africa actually be amazing.... Don't get me started on hummingbird ideas xD love those Lil guys
All I gotta say is we deserve a better hyena then mightyena.... Nothing mighty about that so called hyena.... How could they not incorporate the laughing??? Seriously though spotted hyenas are one of my favorite animals and they are total monsters, the only mammal that can feed exclusively on bone, and they're bulky arched shoulders act as a fulcrum allowing them to carry something like twice their body weight! As far as typing nintendo got dark right, hyenas are definitely mischievous but they're creatures of the earth living in dens in deserts and grasslands, Ground / Dark with Strong Jaw and Prankster as his HA for priority stealth rocks ;D
@wartty Actually, we already have a pokemon based on Quetzalcoatl. I believe Rayquaza is supposed to be based on the feathered serpent. But as for Mightyena, yeah, I think we could use a better hyena pokemon. Frankly, I still want a better wolf pokemon. Lycanroc is okay, but it just didn't scratch that lupus itch I've been having for years (that's lupus as in Latin for 'wolf,' not the skin condition). There were still a bunch of other cool creatures that I couldn't include on this list because I wanted to keep it concise, but there are still plenty to talk about.

How about you, @ScottyThunder? What creatures would you love to see turned into pokemon?

- 0kamii

(Jun 14, 2017, 08:59 AM)0kamii Wrote: @wartty Actually, we already have a pokemon based on Quetzalcoatl. I believe Rayquaza is supposed to be based on the feathered serpent. But as for Mightyena, yeah, I think we could use a better hyena pokemon. Frankly, I still want a better wolf pokemon. Lycanroc is okay, but it just didn't scratch that lupus itch I've been having for years (that's lupus as in Latin for 'wolf,' not the skin condition). There were still a bunch of other cool creatures that I couldn't include on this list because I wanted to keep it concise, but there are still plenty to talk about.

How about you, @ScottyThunder? What creatures would you love to see turned into pokemon?

- 0kamii

As a weeb, I'm pretty familiar with the creatures and spirits of Japanese folklore. My personal favourite, that I would absolutely love see become a Pokemon, is a Bakeneko. It'd fit right in, too. A ghost/dark type, with something like Transform as its ability, since Bakeneko are shapeshifers.
[Image: e6fc598302e24482f7b1bea06c7388fc.jpg?noindex=1]
I'd kill to have one of those in a moon ball XD

Breeder Scott - Proud Member of the Amethyst 0mega Breeder's Guild

Looking for breedables? Check out my new shop