Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Unconventional Sets Thread!
Hi, and welcome to the Unconventional Sets Thread! The title is pretty self-explanatory; here, you can post unconventional Pokémon sets, that either feature a Pokémon that is rarely seen or a common Pokémon using an unusual moveset/ev spread/etc, to either showcase this set or to ask feedback about it. There are a few rules we expect you to follow when posting in this thread, and posts which aren't respecting them will be deleted for the sake of keeping the thread in order.

[Image: tumblr_notz0hzRSA1svy95mo1_540.gif]

Rules:

1- No theorymon-ing. Please do not post movesets that you didn't test to avoid having sets that solely work on paper but that are lackluster in practice.

2- In the same vein, try to limit the amount of "memes", joke sets, etc. The set you post must be able to accomplish something in the metagame while not being outclassed by everything, but I will tolerate less serious sets as well, as long as they are actually usable.

3- While not mandatory, battle codes or Showdown replays are heavily recommended to make your point more credible.

4- When posting a set, please use the following format:

Pokémon/Set:

Metagame:

Description (at least 5 lines):

[Image: tumblr_notz0hzRSA1svy95mo1_540.gif]

Happy posting everyone!
I'll start by showcasing this set which I've used and got decent success with.

Alakazam-mega

Pokémon/Set: Knock Off Mega Zam

Alakazam @ Alakazite
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Knock Off

Metagame: Smogon OU

Description : While having a physical move on a Pokémon like Mega Alakazam seems completely absurd and useless, Knock Off on Mega Zam is actually a very cool tech since it allows it to deal more effectively with some of the things that would usually wall it. The most notable example is being able to Knock Off Chansey's Eviolite, one of the best special sponge in the game, turning Focus Blast into a 2HKO after Stealth Rock damage.

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Chansey: 312-368 (44.3 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Most people use this spread since it allows Chansey to deal with things like stallbreaker Tapu Lele, but here is the calc on an alternate spread.

252 SpA Alakazam-Mega Focus Blast vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Chansey: 250-296 (38.9 - 46.1%) -- 23.8% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

It can also help by removing Magearna's Assault Vest, a common item used on Magearna to deal with Mega Alakazam and others, removing Celesteela's Leftovers and thus removing its passive recovery, etc. Overall a fun tech that I'd recommend to anyone using Mega Zam in OU.

I sadly don't have any replays, the ones I had were during the Pheromosa metagame and aren't relevant anymore, however I will edit this post if I get any good battle with this set.
Gotten so much hate for using this and I'm sure half the people reading this will think the same xD
but I've absolutely fallen in love with my Choice Banded Golisopod <3 
[Image: 6510935i?1487925917]
@Choice Band
EVs: 252Hp 252Atk 4Def
Nature: Brave IVs: 0Speed
-Aqua Jet
-Rock Slide
-Sucker Punch
-First Impression

As soon as the leaks came out for Golisopod I started picturing him as a bigger scary choice band crawdaunt. Who I absolutely loved using way back but Golisopod has one fantastic upside, that ability people buried themselves in salt over is absolutely perfect for choice band! (Really meant for doubles, he needs an ally to cover his shortcomings)

I'll start off with this Goliath of an isopods shortcomings. Choice band logic applied you don't want him to be trapped locked into an undesirable move but this is painfully true with first impression, his greatest strength is also his greatest weakness to the point where you really only wanna use it for an assured KO or when you know his ability will be activating after. His defensive stat of 125 makes it so he can absorb supereffective Rock moves but any Electric type move or Air Slash will send him running if he survives at all. He's completely walled my most Water and Steel types and hes not a fan of Fairies, Fighting or Dragon types unless he can out-rawpower them and of course his worst enemies are Tapu Lele, Dazzling Bruxish, and Tsareena xD
    The priority moves are manditory, he needs to hit before he quits. Aqua Jet can 1hitKO most fire types you'll come across who dont carry a water resisitance outside of the sun excluding bulky Arcanine, Alolan Marowak, Incineroar, Rotom-Heat, and Heatran while also doing over 50% to specially defensive Gigalith and bulky gliscor and doing over 80% to Terrakion, mega Aerodactyl, and Landorus. While it takes quite a bit of predicting Sucker Punch takes care of frailer psychic and ghost types (Mega Alakazam/Gengar) Rock Slide should really only be used if you know he'll stick around or if you could have priority through trick room etc but it is nice to be able to spread his power around. First Impression however is the real point of discussion. I've been called crazy for using choice band with first impression, and I've had times where it horribly backfired, but the damage output is mind-blowing! 1HitKOing nearly everything it's supereffective against other then max defensive Tangrowth, Cresselia, mega Slowbro, and Umbreon, while being able to blow massive holes in Pokemon who would usually wall him like Rotom-wash 

252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chandelure: 230-272 (88.1 - 104.2%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 318-374 (87.8 - 103.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 300-354 (96.4 - 113.8%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Talonflame: 276-326 (92.9 - 109.7%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 254-300 (70.3 - 83.1%)
Some first impression calcs with pokemon whod normally wall him

252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 248 HP / 200+ Def Rotom-Wash: 169-199 (55.7 - 65.6%) 
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 252 HP / 184 Def Amoonguss: 250-295 (57.8 - 68.2%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kartana: 186-220 (71.8 - 84.9%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 160 HP / 252 Def Snorlax: 243-286 (48.5 - 57%)
Some that even surprised me ~

252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 235-277 (86.7 - 102.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 159-187 (45.1 - 53.1%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar-Mega: 332-392 (97 - 114.6%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Golisopod First Impression vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Claydol: 330-390 (101.8 - 120.3%) 
Hope this is up to your standard @"écarlate"!! its my first time writting up a moveset analysis xP 
PS: I havent made any replay, I generally only keep battles I lose to review them, but ill try and return with some Smile btw @écarlate Would you know how id go about getting my exeggcute giveaway on the main page of the site? I feel like it there as some people it could really help but its hidden down in the threads :\
@wartty great post, if you could just add which metagame is it for that'd be great! Also, I will try to see if I can do anything for your giveaway Smile
OK gonna napalm some sets to be ready to get SUPLEXED @everyone
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
Keldeo

Coba/HP-Rock Keldeo

HP Rock Keldeo to counter all your Mega Pinsir problems, it is ev'd to live a +2 quick attack from Mega Pinsir with Coba berry. The 236+ is enough to outspeed max speed Jolly so you dont have to worry about return. I also used this mon in PFA to help me advance to the semi finals!

Keldeo-Resolute @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Icy Wind

Metagross

Agility/WP Metagross

One of my personal favorite set to use, Agility Weakness Policy Metagross. With +2 Speed metagross outspeeds a majority of threats such as Landorus and Garchomp. With Clean Body Intimidate isnt an issue and its steel/psychic type is great offensive and defensive pressure and it has enough natural bulk to live Earthquakes from said mons. Knock Off isnt a problem because of Weakness Policy.

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 84 Def / 124 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake/Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch
- Agility

Blissey

Specs Serene Grace Blissey

Finally my favorite set ever probably. Specs Blissey is just plain fun. Abusing Serene Grace with Bolt/Beam as well as Flamethrower helps for maximum coverage. Its natural bulk lets it take special attacks like a champion and Healing wish to heal up other mons around it.

Blissey @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 16 HP / 236 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Flamethrower
- Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
"Oh good, he isn't mod anymore"

-Everyone

plug
(Jun 27, 2017, 01:38 PM)Slec Wrote:
Keldeo

Coba/HP-Rock Keldeo

HP Rock Keldeo to counter all your Mega Pinsir problems, it is ev'd to live a +2 quick attack from Mega Pinsir with Coba berry. The 236+ is enough to outspeed max speed Jolly so you dont have to worry about return. I also used this mon in PFA to help me advance to the semi finals!

Keldeo-Resolute @ Coba Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 20 HP / 4 Def / 244 SpA / 4 SpD / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Icy Wind

Metagross

Agility/WP Metagross

One of my personal favorite set to use, Agility Weakness Policy Metagross. With +2 Speed metagross outspeeds a majority of threats such as Landorus and Garchomp. With Clean Body Intimidate isnt an issue and its steel/psychic type is great offensive and defensive pressure and it has enough natural bulk to live Earthquakes from said mons. Knock Off isnt a problem because of Weakness Policy.

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 84 Def / 124 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake/Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt/Thunder Punch
- Agility

Glad to see some of the PFA sets here Smile
Oh, an Unconventional Sets thread! That sounds right up my alley! Let's see, let's see...ooh, I've got a VERY unconventional one to throw around!

Special-attacking Baton Pass Silvally
[Image: show?1478676935]
Pokémon: Silvally
Formats Used: Battle Spot Singles, Recreationals
Nature: Timid (+Spd/-Atk)
IVs: 31/X/31/31/31/31
EVs: 4 HP/ 100 Def/ 148 Sp. Atk/ 4 Sp. Def/ 252 Spd
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: RKS System
Moveset:
Surf
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam

Description:
I guess when it comes to unorthodox sets, no one knows the ups and downs of a gamble better than I do. I think this queer little set exemplifies that, especially in a recreational setting. I would never recommend this set in VGC, but in Battle Spot Singles and recreational battles, I've dominated with this guy. My personal Silvally, Kamakana, is Shiny, and since I didn't just want him to be a trophy, I thought I'd find a way to make him useful. But with Silvally's circular stats, it just doesn't excel in anything on its own. So, I figured it was time to learn the ins and outs of Baton Pass. This set is designed to be used with a Baton Pass user, specifically a Quiver Dancer to pass on Speed and Sp. Attack. Then I just threw on as much coverage as possible and watched for the waterworks. In a nutshell, Silvally will always hit the field at +1 Sp. Atk, +1 Sp. Def, and +1 Spd. Maybe even +2 to all of them with the proper prediction.

Also worth noting, Silvally in this case is a late-game sweeper, meant to clean up the remnants of an already whittled team. On my team, I use a Quiver Dance/Baton Pass Ribombee, but Masquerain and Venomoth would work as well. I've had battles against many of my friends, and with the right set up, they stand no chance against a Baton Passed Kamakana. He really is the hopekiller of late-game pokémon battles. I would love to post a replay, but unfortunately, my SIM card got corrupted and all the battles I had saved of Kamakana sweeping were deleted. I know, that sounds like a convenient excuse, huh? Well, believe me or not, I love my Baton Pass Silvally, and I'll continue to use him in Battle Spot and for fun as long as he's viable.

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

Magearna

Pokémon/Set: Shuca Berry + Shift Gear Magearna

Magearna @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shift Gear
- Ice Beam

- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

Metagame: Smogon OU

Description: I was building a team someday and realized that the team I was building was heavily annoyed by Zygarde and other Ground types, but the overall synergy was decent and I wasn't able to replace anything without making myself weaker to something else, so I opted to use the usual Shift Gear set Magearna runs, but I replaced the Fightium Z by a Shuca Berry and it actually is pretty decent since you can Shift Gear up on stuff like Choice Band Zygarde and then get a clean KO with Ice Beam and then proceed to snowball to either sweep or heavily dent the opposing team. While not running a STAB move may seem like a bad idea, Magearna actually needs the most coverage possible to sweep, Ice Beam hitting the mentioned Ground types, Thunderbolt hitting Celesteela hard, and Focus Blast getting past troublesome Steel types such as Heatran, Ferrothorn and Magnezone. Don't have any replays as I haven't played Pokémon in a while for a bunch of different reasons. Hope you guys enjoyed this, will probably post again soon here.
Lol this came up in a Google search xD think I'll bump this, wish this thing would countinue
Dont know why I never thought to put this here...
All your Hidden Ability needs in one place <3