Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[US/UM] Ultra Beast Shinys
Heya! Im currently soft resetting for a shiny Nihilego. When I engage in battle with it, it's name appears as ???. Im just making sure it can still be shiny this way? Im pretty paranoid when it comes to shiny hunting, so just making sure im not wasting my time.

Thank you!
Yes, it can still be Shiny. The ??? just means you haven't registered one in your PokéDex yet. Doesn't affect the Shiny odds.

Hope that helped, @TigerThornX!

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

@TigerThornX Apparently yes (but I'm far from an authority on US/UM).

Whether Nihilego is shiny or not seems to be decided at the first time you engage in battle, but I wouldn't take this as a decisive piece of information. Maybe someone else here can confirm this?

Edit: I didn't update this page for hours, and I just noticed that 0kamii already answered the question very well.
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
(Feb 18, 2018, 10:15 PM)0kamii Wrote: Yes, it can still be Shiny. The ??? just means you haven't registered one in your PokéDex yet. Doesn't affect the Shiny odds.

Hope that helped, @TigerThornX!

- 0kamii

Thank you so much! Have a nice day.
(Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 PM)Black Waterfall Wrote: @TigerThornX Apparently yes (but I'm far from an authority on US/UM).

Whether Nihilego is shiny or not seems to be decided at the first time you engage in battle, but I wouldn't take this as a decisive piece of information. Maybe someone else here can confirm this?

Edit: I didn't update this page for hours, and I just noticed that 0kamii already answered the question very well.

Ah, alright! Thank you. Have a wonderful day.
(Feb 19, 2018, 12:15 AM)TigerThornX Wrote:
(Feb 18, 2018, 11:27 PM)Black Waterfall Wrote: @TigerThornX Apparently yes (but I'm far from an authority on US/UM).

Ah, alright! Thank you. Have a wonderful day.

@TigerThornX Have an wonderful day too, and, of course, a wonderful Shiny Nihilego as well! Wink
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
@TigerThornX 

The shiny star spark will still appear.  It's just that it'll happen BEFORE Nihilego gets its red totem aura.

Also, type into Google Images "Shiny Nihilego" to see what a Shiny Nihi looks like with the red aura in case you weren't paying attention when it first appeared.

Good luck in your hunt!  Shiny Nihi is my first, an currently, only Shiny UB that I went out of my way to soft reset for.  It took me a week to get mine (got lucky that it also had the right nature AND Hidden Power so it's a competitive 'mon now); hopefully you get yours sooner!

Also, are you gonna nickname you Shiny Nihi or nah?  I named mine "Yellow Devil".  No particular reason behind it; I just like to nickname all of my 'mons that use for competitive. :D
(Feb 21, 2018, 10:45 PM)Keith_Kuruzu Wrote: @TigerThornX 

The shiny star spark will still appear.  It's just that it'll happen BEFORE Nihilego gets its red totem aura.

Also, type into Google Images "Shiny Nihilego" to see what a Shiny Nihi looks like with the red aura in case you weren't paying attention when it first appeared.

Good luck in your hunt!  Shiny Nihi is my first, an currently, only Shiny UB that I went out of my way to soft reset for.  It took me a week to get mine (got lucky that it also had the right nature AND Hidden Power so it's a competitive 'mon now); hopefully you get yours sooner!

Also, are you gonna nickname you Shiny Nihi or nah?  I named mine "Yellow Devil".  No particular reason behind it; I just like to nickname all of my 'mons that use for competitive. :D

Ah, thank you! And yes, I'm going to nickname it Maneter (Norwegian for jellyfish)
If you are in original Sun/Moon, Ultra Beasts are shiny-locked, if you are in Ultra Sun/Moon, they can be shiny. Smile

You can consider obtaining Shiny Charm first to boost the shiny-rate. Smile
What is a signature and how do I get one?