Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] Where Does Your Username Come From?
Everyone has different usernames, and no one's is the same. Maybe you've had more than one or stuck with one throughout your entire life online.
Why did you choose the username you have, and where does it come from?
What does it mean, or how did you think of it?
Is this your first ever username or have you used other names before?
If people have trouble with your username, what short form or nickname do you want to be referred to as instead?
Even for some people, how do you pronounce your username?

I'll start by answering these questions for my username: Hikikomari.
[EDIT: I've been considering changing it, so if I do, I'll just edit this post or make a new reply to the thread.]

I chose the username I did because quite honestly I didn't want to sign up with my username from other forums. I've been in a rough time recently, especially on the day I joined this forum (which was only three days ago, wow.) so I wanted a username I still liked that wouldn't be linked to other accounts if I didn't want to. If I asked someone what username they thought of when they thought of me, they'd never say Hikikomari, they'd say something else.

The name is actually a pun, though it's in Japanese.
"Hikikomori" is a term used to describe adolescents or adults who withdraw from society and stay inside their homes. While I don't believe the term would fully apply to me, I still somewhat relate to it.
"Komari" is the name of a character from one of my favourite anime series, Non Non Biyori. Komari is really cute and I really like her and wanted to change my avatar on a previous site to a picture of her. I thought of the name Hikikomari after doing this, and thought it was funny how similar the names were, but how different the term and the character were from each other, so it stuck with me where I included it temporarily in an old profile.

This should be self-explanatory from the rest of what I've written so far, but Hikikomari is not my first username I've used online. It's probably closer to my 10th.

I imagine others would have trouble with my username, and that it's hard to say. For alternatives or nicknames, I'd go with Komari, since it's an actual name. On top of that, Komari is often called Koma-chan as a nickname, and that would be cute. She's also called Senpai by another character, though I doubt I'd really be a Senpai to anyone here.

I also imagine it's difficult to pronounce, so here you go:
"Hee-kee-ko-mah-ri" is the correct pronunciation.

I created this thread not only to share where my username comes from but to throw some tags out to some people who I'm curious about. You don't have to tag anyone or answer if you've been tagged, but I thought it'd be a nice way to make discussion easier.

@Black Waterfall
@DrumminBeard
@0kamii
@Hikikomari nice little backstory you got there! Always interesting to get a bit of insight into some of the quirkier usernames out there. Anyways, might as well get the ball rolling with this. Mine is pertty boring, just a combination of my name and this band I was in a few years back (cos I'm original like that lol). We broke up soom after and I haven't botherd to think of a new name, you can't perfect perfection Kappa.
Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!
@Hikikomari Thanks for the nice discussion!

As a matter of fact, I often get asked why I have a waterfall-related username since I claim to be a hardcore Fire-type enthusiast. Well, let me reword a bit the story I originally wrote here.

My username is a reference to the boy in my profile picture, a fictional character I created for a Pokemon tabletop RPG campaign that I played with my friends over four years. The main story was set in Kanto fifty years in the future, that is, fifty years after Red became the champion in Gen I.

In the story, this boy is named Black Waterfall. Born and raised in Cerulean city, Black is the successor to the Waterfall family, a powerful family that over the past decades gained fame and projection in the Pokemon world as top tier Water-type trainers. In fact, the under the influence of their power, Waterfall family became so powerful that the head of the family, took up the position of the new Water-type gym leader after Misty's retirement.

Naturally, the head of the family had great hopes that his son could become his successor as the next gym leader. Unfortunately for him, his son, Black, has always been a hopeless Fire-type lover since the day he was born, the black sheep of the family. What's worse, for the shame of the family, as soon as Black turned eleven, he left home with a Charmander as his starter.

Black had only one life goal: to become the next Fire-type gym leader and defeat his father to prove Fire-type Pokemon’s worth! He was also addicted to a fictional TV series called 'Rapidash Raiders' about cool Old West cowboys riding Rapidashes (that explains his cowboyish style).

In a sense, I think that 'Waterfall' fits Black very well too, because Black's aim in life is to make Water-type Pokemon fall! Playing as Black was so fun for me that I unconsciously took over his identity as a Pokemon player myself!
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
(Nov 22, 2018, 10:13 PM)Black Waterfall Wrote: @Hikikomari Thanks for the nice discussion!

As a matter of fact, I often get asked why I have a waterfall-related username since I claim to be a hardcore Fire-type enthusiast. Well, let me reword a bit the story I originally wrote here.

My username is a reference to the boy in my profile picture, a fictional character I created for a Pokemon tabletop RPG campaign that I played with my friends over four years. The main story was set in Kanto fifty years in the future, that is, fifty years after Red became the champion in Gen I.

In the story, this boy is named Black Waterfall. Born and raised in Cerulean city, Black is the successor to the Waterfall family, a powerful family that over the past decades gained fame and projection in the Pokemon world as top tier Water-type trainers. In fact, the under the influence of their power, Waterfall family became so powerful that the head of the family, took up the position of the new Water-type gym leader after Misty's retirement.

Naturally, the head of the family had great hopes that his son could become his successor as the next gym leader. Unfortunately for him, his son, Black, has always been a hopeless Fire-type lover since the day he was born, the black sheep of the family. What's worse, for the shame of the family, as soon as Black turned eleven, he left home with a Charmander as his starter.

Black had only one life goal: to become the next Fire-type gym leader and defeat his father to prove Fire-type Pokemon’s worth! He was also addicted to a fictional TV series called 'Rapidash Raiders' about cool Old West cowboys riding Rapidashes (that explains his cowboyish style).

In a sense, I think that 'Waterfall' fits Black very well too, because Black's aim in life is to make Water-type Pokemon fall! Playing as Black was so fun for me that I unconsciously took over his identity as a Pokemon player myself!

Wow, I love this reason, that's super cool!
I was also unaware this was used as a previous question for Meet and Greets, though March is a ways behind us so I hope it's okay to start another thread based solely for this and include people who have joined since then such as myself or people who weren't aware of or didn't answer the question then but want to join in now.
@Hikikomari 

Put simply: my username is self-explanatory; though it may help to include it here in full: "The Drumming Beard."

I'm a bearded drummer. In my case, my beard imbues me with fantastical levels of groove-laying chill when I play. So - if anything - the beard plays drums through my body; hence the name. I have never performed under this name, but that's where it came from. EDIT: I had to shorten it early on in my use of the screenname, so this just kinda 'stuck' for me. I think it's got a nice... rhythm to it! [rimshot!]

I've had maybe 6 other regular usernames I've used. I'm the type to use the same username for everything for a time; before I spontaneously decide to start using a new one.

I think your name is quite clever, now that you've laid it out this way. I hope that my explanation has been satisfactory, despite the lack of wit involved in its creation. I do appreciate the opportunity to learn where peoples' names come from though, as it's something I've wondered about often in my travels.

Also, @Black Waterfall: I dig your backstory. That must have been a great campaign, with memorable events throughout.
(Nov 22, 2018, 10:26 PM)Hikikomari Wrote: Wow, I love this reason, that's super cool!
I was also unaware this was used as a previous question for Meet and Greets, though March is a ways behind us so I hope it's okay to start another thread based solely for this and include people who have joined since then such as myself or people who weren't aware of or didn't answer the question then but want to join in now.

Sure! It is nice to have a thread about it Tongue

(Nov 22, 2018, 11:54 PM)DrumminBeard Wrote: I dig your backstory. That must have been a great campaign, with memorable events throughout.

@DrumminBeard Yeah, it was one of the best campaigns I ever played! But your username's backstory is no less awesome. I think you might be interested in this facial hair-related discussionBig Grin
 ~ Always ready to fire up the party! ~ 
The story behind my username is that my favorite Pokemon is Pikachu
Well, mine should be obvious... Latias!
Hi, there, @Hikikomari! I posted a thread very similar to this a lifetime ago, but there's no harm in reopening the discussion!

My name, 0kamii, is two-layered. For one, it's based on one of my favorite video games, Ōkami, and two, "okami" is the Japanese word for 'wolf' (my favorite animal), 'legend,' and sometimes as 'god.' When I made my account, "Okami" was already taken, so I added the extra 'ii' on the end because it wouldn't change the phonetic Japanese pronunciation. But that name was taken too... Undecided

So I changed the first letter to a zero [because it looks like a capital O]. And that's how I got 0kamii. Now you know!

Welcome to the site too! Hope you're enjoying yourself, and don't forget to check out our community Discord server. ⇒

- 0kamii
Amethyst Ωmega - Guild Leader/Founder 

My username is one that Ive used for a few years, since maybe 2017, and its fairly basic. Skyrim is my favorite game EVER and so it has impacted me in a few ways, one as my username/gt most places. The word itself means "Dragon kind" in skyrims Dragon language. I dont remember for sure how I came to use it, but I enjoy its simplicity. Plus I made the profile picture I'm using and that made me like it even more.
                                        I ΔM DŌVΛ