Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[US/UM] Help with shiny swapping? (Ultra Moon)
So I've been using the Shiny Swap method to try and get a shiny Eevee but it's not going well. I've hatched roughly 270 Magikarp while using the Masuda method and the shiny charm. Still no luck. I've seen people using this method getting a shiny in their first batch and others not having to hatch 300 freaking Magikarp like I did. 

Here's what I did in case I turn out to be doing something wrong:

1. Saved my game before putting my French Ditto from GTS (holding a Destiny Knot) and Magikarp into the nursery
2. Walked around in circles until the lady gave me an egg
3. Got 30 eggs, had them automatically sent to the PC box for all the 'karps
4. After getting a batch of 30, took the Magikarp out of the nursery
5. Started hatching the eggs in 6 rounds with 5 Magikarp in my party each time
6. No shinies, so I threw them all into the PC and put the Magikarp back into the nursery
7. Repeated steps 2-6 until I felt my soul leaving my body

I'm the kind of person who'd do any amount of grinding as long as I can tell I'm making progress, but with this, I can't tell and I'm considering black magic as an alternative. I do have a CFW 3DS so I could easily just give myself a hacked one, but I've always wanted to experience legitimately getting a shiny. It's only happened to me in emulators and a Moemon ROM hack.
You're just having average to bad luck, I can't tell at this point (270 eggs is not a lot when masuda breeding). You're still bound by the normal shiny odds when doing masuda breeding, which can sometimes take a very long time to get a shiny. Swap-breeding does not actually improve your shiny odds in any way. The main reason people use Magikarp for swap-breeding is that it has the fastest hatch time.
Questions related to what you are doing;

Have you got the Shiny Charm?
Have you got Shinies in USUM before?
Have you tried SOSing yet?
(Jun 8, 2019, 06:29 PM)WeyounRagnarok Wrote: You're just having average to bad luck, I can't tell at this point (270 eggs is not a lot when masuda breeding). You're still bound by the normal shiny odds when doing masuda breeding, which can sometimes take a very long time to get a shiny. Swap-breeding does not actually improve your shiny odds in any way. The main reason people use Magikarp for swap-breeding is that it has the fastest hatch time.

That actually does assure me, thanks. I just wanted to know if I was messing something up but it's nice to know that this is normal. I'll just keep at it ;_;