Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[RATE MY TEAM] My first VGC 2016 team
The Double Primal + M-Mawile + Cresselia core is solid enough and i would start adjusting the team from here (this core has achieved many Regional Top Cuts around the world in the last weeks).

100 Spe EVs on Kyogre are a waste imo, most of the Modest Kyogre only run 4 or 12 Spe EVs or go with 236 Spe EVs to outspeed max speed Smeargle by 1 point.

76 SpA EVs are enough for a Modest P-Kyogre (it has almost the same SpA stat as a 252 SpA EVs Timid one)

I would run something like 252 HP / 156 Def / 76 SpA / 4 SpD / 20 Spe on your P-Kyogre which is bulkier, it gives you enough attack power and it tries to outspeed any other Modest Kyogre.

If you really want to take advantage of Trick Room, i think you'll need to run a Brave P-Groudon with 0 Spe IVs. Your moveset is fine (the fact you run Brave instead of Adamant nature is also beneficial for Earth Power damage output)

Protect on M-Mawile is mandatory. If you want a Rock type coverage move, you can run Rock Slide instead of Earth Power on your Groudon. Mawile is really frail so i would just invest everything into HP and Atk with a simple 252/252/4 EV spread

I'd say run 0 EVs into SpA and put everything into bulk since Cresselia's goal is to support its partner as long as possible. To do that, i think you must get rid of Protect and give Cress something like Gravity or Helping Hand. Ice Beam hits M-Mence and M-Ray harder than Psychic, so you may want to change that too.

Although i tried to improve this core a little bit, there may be something you are still really weak even after taking in consideration both Togekiss and Klefki support.

Smeargle in Team Preview: it almost forces you to bring Klefki, which isn't exactly the best thing to have if your opponent reads that and leads with its Groudon. Another problem is that if you bring Klefki you only have room for 3 more mons (2 of them usually being the Primals - the only way for dealing damage - and the other one Cresselia to setup TR)

M-Rayquaza: it can hit your Primals really hard depending on its moveset and it can also OHKO M-Mawile with Overheat

Fake Out + set-up: you can't stop Geomancy or Sword Dance from happening if paired with a Fake Out user which is able to stop Klefki for that turn.

Many teams in Top Cut decided to use the support duo of Talonflame and Amoonguss to complete a Double Primals team:

Talonflame gives you priority Tailwind and Brave Bird (another strong way to deal some damage), while supporting your team with both Quick Guard and Taunt. The common EV spread is Adamant 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe

Amoonguss can run a surprise Focus Sash to survive an Eruption or a Dragon Ascent and so on. You can also give it Lum Berry to counter the Xerneas/Smeargle lead. It's a solid Trick Room pokemon (or a TR counter on the other hand) and it gives you both Spore and redirection with Rage Powder but it's also able to deal some damage thanks to Grass Knot. Its common set is Sassy 0 Spe IVs 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD.

Hope this helps! I've used both some VGC resources and my experience to give you these tips.

Messages In This Thread
My first VGC 2016 team - by herzinger - Mar 11, 2016, 01:36 AM
RE: My first VGC 2016 team - by Rogue - Mar 11, 2016, 02:36 AM
RE: My first VGC 2016 team - by Apo - Mar 11, 2016, 05:06 AM
RE: My first VGC 2016 team - by herzinger - Mar 11, 2016, 01:20 PM
RE: My first VGC 2016 team - by GiMYz - Mar 11, 2016, 06:50 PM
RE: My first VGC 2016 team - by herzinger - Mar 11, 2016, 09:13 PM