Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

Looking for XY Poke Radar advice/guidance
I'm brand new to these forums, but I've been catching shinies for a long time now. I've read a lot of guides and watched tons of videos on the various methods, succeeding repeatedly with every method I've tried except for Poke Radar in X and Y. So far the only shiny I've managed to get through that method was a Croagunk that appeared after a whopping 1 encounter. The only time I chained past twenty was with Weedle in Santalune Forest (got it to 40, then accidentally stepped into a shaking grass spot I hadn't seen that broke the chain). The rules I've been following are below:
  • Only go for a patch of grass at least 4 spaces away in one direction.
  • Never go for an edge space.
  • Only go for the most violently shaking patches.
  • Never go for a patch when an adjacent patch is shaking (I've heard conflicting information about this but have been playing it safe).
  • Never move away to the point where you can't see any of the shaking patches when resetting the radar.
  • Only go for a patch when you can see all 5 shaking patches (I sometimes ignore this rule when my chain is below 5).
  • Catch the pokemon instead of knocking them out (this rule made a huge difference for me in Diamond and Platinum, but I don't know if it still helps in Gen 6).
  • Upon hitting 40, only look for a shiny patch.
  • When in doubt, reset the radar.
Are there any glaring issues that any of you can see with my methods? Anything that conflicts with the rules you've used/succeeded with? Or am I finally just unlucky?

Messages In This Thread
Looking for XY Poke Radar advice/guidance - by RedPotato - Feb 17, 2017, 07:42 PM