Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[VGC] [VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair
Art removed due to a questionable source, I apologize for those who had too see it.

Hey guys, its RetroTyphlosion, and with a slight feeling of deja vu from my write up of a VGC17 Tapu Koko, we're looking at Tapu Koko's presence in todays competitive format. Bear with me, I never was good at writing these, but I'll see what I can do. maybe this one will ACTUALLY end up on the front page smh
[Image: tapukoko.png]

Type: Electric / Fairy

HP: 70
Attack: 115
Defense: 85
Sp. Attack: 95
Sp. Defense: 75
Speed: 130
So, these are actually some pretty solid statstics; excellent typing gives it only two weaknesses, Poison and Ground (which we'll get to later), and allows it to run powerful STAB. Its stats are mostly well-rounded; a high speed stat allows it to outspeed most of the tier, and large attacking stats pack a punch. Its defenses are, however, not that great, and Koko probably won't be on the battleground for very long.
Set One:
(The Quick Sweeper)
Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/ 4 SpD
Timid Nature 
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Ice

This Tapu Koko is meant to use as a lead sweeper to start the game off right. T-Bolt is our main attack here, with STAB and the Terrain Boost. D-Gleam is for when you need to hit both Pokemon, but also for that Fairy Coverage, and HP Ice takes care of Grass, Dragon, and Ground types. However, Choice Scarf Landorus Therian outspeeds and OHKOs it, so be wary. However, Tapu Koko will outspeed the Assualt Vest Landorus Therian set, and, while unable to OHKO it, can Volt Switch out on its ally. Since it is a sweeper, its defenses are not the best, and it probably won't be able to take too many hits; but it should be able to survive through the first few turns if you play your cards right and protect it from Landorus.

Offensive Damage Calcs (Notable Calcs in Bold):

Set Two:

(The Rain Pair)
Tapu Koko @ Assault Vest
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA/252 Spe/4 Def
Timid Nature
-Sky Drop
-Thunder
-Hidden Power Ice
-Dazzling Gleam

"What? Retro? A Tapu Koko in rain?" Yep, and you better believe it. I always like creating odd sets, and here's today's. This Tapu Koko can lead with Sky Drop to remove a threat from the field first turn, meaning the ally Pokemon can set up rain more easily, especially if you hit a Pokemon that may use Taunt. HP Ice and Dazzling Gleam are once again coverage moves, but the big one here is Thunder. Boosted to 100% accuracy in Rain, its also STAB boosted and Terrain boosted. Assault Vest to withstand an extra attack or two, but if you wanted to run Protect, I would replace the Vest with a Life Orb or Electrium Z. Z-Thunder doesn't sound bad, actually....

Checks and Counters:
  • Landorus. Need I say more? Choice Scarf can outspeed and OHKO, and Assault Vest survives HP Ice and OHKOs. Switch out if one comes on.
  • Pokemon too heavy to be affected by Sky Drop.
  • Powerful STAB moves or Super-effective hits. Koko isn't bulky, so watch out.
And there you are. Hope this helps!

-Retro

EDIT: Hold up, my computer deleted the calcs when I published this. The calcs will return soon...
VGC|Breeding|Forum Regular|Amethyst 0mega

PM me if you need help with competitive battling!

Messages In This Thread
[VGC18] Tapu Koko - 2 Movesets - Sweeper - Rain Pair - by RetroTyphlosion - Mar 29, 2018, 07:59 AM