Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

A Beginner Breeding Guide
Hello!

Since the new VGC is coming up I wanted to make a short (beginner) breeding-guide for everyone who wants to get into competitive battling! I might have missed something but if you saw I did just tell me! I never wrote so much in one topic so the chance is there that I DID miss something lol.

Also breeding like this should pretty much be the same in ORAS but with different locations. I can't confirm this for sure tho since I still didn't finish ORAS myself.

What do you need before we start breeding
✿ A Pokemon you want to breed with the right nature (If you want to pass on the ability: make sure it's a female)
✿ The Power Items that you can find in the Battle Maison in Kiloude City
✿ An Everstone, found at Geosenge Town.
✿ A Destiny Knot, found at Cyllage City or Lumiose City
✿ A lot of different kind of Dittos with different perfect IVs
✿ A pokemon with the Flame Body ability like Talonflame/Fletchinder (This is recommended since you also need a pokemon with fly)
✿ (optional) Hatching O-Power level 3
(✿ If you're in for some "life-hacks" : a piece of paper or a dime to stick under your circlepad so you don't have to hold that button yourself while hatching the eggs)

Okay so I got the items, what now?
✿ Have the pokemon you want to breed. If you want to pass down the ability then make sure to use a female one since the chance is higher that they will pass it on.
✿ Find someone with a ditto safari. Ditto's are breeder's best friends. Seriously, get a Ditto friend safari and catch as many as you can!
✿ Once you caught several ditto's go to the IV checker in Kiloude City and mark the perfect IVs they have with the symbols you can change at the computer.
OR: go to the name rater and change the names of the dittos to the IVS they're perfect in, like HpAtk/AtkSpee/AtkDefSpe/ect.

STEP 01
[Image: Wkv8LbX.png]

Place the ditto and the pokemon you want to breed in the daycare, i'm using Beautifly so that I don't have to run so much to hatch all these eggs but you can use any pokemon you like. Let the ditto hold the Destiny Knot and let the other pokemon hold the everstone.

As you can see in the picture above: The Ditto I caught has 3 perfect IVs, HP, Attack and Speed while my Beautifly has no IVs at all, this is where the Destiny Knot will start working. When you breed, you have 3 possibilities for the IV of each stat for the baby. The first is that the child will have the mother's IV for that stat, the second is that it will have the father's, and the third is that it will randomly choose an IV for that stat. Thanks to the Destiny Knot you will have more luck that the offspring of the two will have 1/2 perfect IVs. The Everstone is there to pass on the nature of the pokemon that's holding it. In gen 6, you can give it to the male or female and there is a 100% chance of the egg inheriting the nature.

Put the pokemon with Flame Body in your first slot and hatch the first set of eggs.

~ 5 hatched eggs later ~

Visit the IV checker in Kiloude city and check with every pokemon you hatched the IVs. Here's a list of the ones I hatched:

[Image: c61e8a4d6c556e5bfa7728ccb42779a3.png]

Of course there is also a chance that you will hatch offsprings with no IVs at all, if that's the case try again till you're happy with the result.

STEP 02
[Image: KcKu0DP.png]

As you can see we only hatched 2 egss with 1-2 perfect IVs. This of course isn't what we wanted but Beautifly #5 is the best result of them all. Now box all the other pokemons expect for the one with the best IVs (which is #5 in my case) and fly back to the daycare. Swap the pokemon out with the best IVs with the pokemon you started. This is because, if BOTH parents have flawless IVs, the baby is more likely to have it too it thanks to the Destiny Knot!

So as I said before swap the old pokemon out for the new one. Don't forget to give the new pokemon the everstone! Now just do the same thing as first, hatch the first set of eggs.

~ 5 hatched eggs later ~

[Image: dbfd80ab76fee2b0027f518aa171d845.png]

STEP 03
[Image: CRPG53N.png]

Beautifly #10 has 31/31/X/X/X/31! Now you have a Beautifly with perfect IVs in HP, Attack, and Speed! This can be much harder than the first step so don't give up if it failed the first time. It took me around ~20 eggs until I finally got this one.

Now it's time to swap out the Ditto and repeat the same steps as I explained before. For this step I used my X/X/X/31/31/X ditto that has the same nature as my Beautifly.

Now you can do three different things to get even more IVs

1) Take both pokemons out of the daycare and put the new Ditto + the other pokemon with the highest IVs in the daycare. I let my Beautifly hold the Destiny knot this time since it haves more IVs and gave my ditto the everstone so that I would still pass on the nature. Repeat the step I explained in step 01/02 (breeding/IV checking) until you have a pokemon with either 4 or 5 IVs

2) Take both pokemons out of the daycare and put the new Ditto + the other pokemon with the highest IVs in the daycare. I let my Beautifly hold the Destiny knot this time since it haves more IVs and gave my ditto one of the power items. The power item will make sure that the IV that belongs to the right power item will be passed on in the next generation. Read the description of the power item so that you know which one it is. Hatch eggs until you hatched your pokemon with 4IVs.

Each Power Item will pass down it’s corresponding stat to the baby and ONLY that stat from that Parent. Example: If I give a Ditto the Power Bracer, the Ditto will only pass down it’s Attack IVs. The other parent can still pass down their IVs though.

If you do this step then it's not for 100% sure you will hatch a pokemon with the right nature

3 Take both pokemons out of the daycare and put the new Ditto + the other pokemon with the highest IVs in the daycare. Do the same as in step 2: Give the new pokemon the Everstone and the new Ditto the Destiny Knot until you hatch a pokemon with 4/5IVs.

[Image: 13wGJS3.png]

Just repeat these same steps over and over again with other dittos/Off springs until you finally have your 5IV almost flawless pokemon! If you're a die-hard breeder and want 6IV you can always continue of course but most pokemons don't need all IVs + it's rare to get so it can take boxes until you finally have one!

Also if anyone is interested: This took me ~82 eggs to get this result, eggs before this are not counted with it.

p.s yea I know that Beautifly should miss a ATK IV and not a DEF IV but this was just for the guide Kappa/
p.p.s yea I also know that you can't hatch Beautiflies but lazy me was too lazy to put Wurmple in the pic Kappa/
p.p.p.s yea I also really know that I have mad photoshop-skillz. u all should get on mah level gaiz Kappa/

The drawings are made by HappyCrumble

Messages In This Thread
A Beginner Breeding Guide - by Eeveeli - Dec 1, 2014, 05:13 AM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by ChaseInfinity - Dec 1, 2014, 05:53 AM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by kuun_kun - Jun 25, 2015, 01:48 AM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by MyCabbages - Dec 1, 2014, 10:29 AM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by Eeveeli - Dec 1, 2014, 02:59 PM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by evilsabre - Dec 1, 2014, 03:05 PM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by Eeveeli - Dec 1, 2014, 07:08 PM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by Quick_Scoop - Aug 15, 2015, 02:04 PM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by Marcusube - Aug 28, 2015, 02:49 PM
RE: A Beginner Breeding Guide - by RhysZahBeast - Sep 11, 2016, 04:42 AM