Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[SMOGON] The Good Cores Thread: Sun/Moon Edition! (SINGLES)
Ok so I am going to try this and hopefully I get what you mean by core so I pick
[Image: BI5TmJb.png][Image: 797.png]
- Pokémon featured: Alolan Marowak and Celesteela
- Metagame: BattleSpot! Singles (what I play)
- Core type: Balanced (I think)
- Sets:

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
Level: 50  
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 116 SpD / 132 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Shadow Bone  
- Bonemerang  
- Substitute

Celesteela @ Leftovers  
Ability: Beast Boost  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 Spe  
Bold Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Leech Seed  
- Protect  
- Substitute  
- Fire Blast

Alola Marowak hits hard and with a little EV investment in HP and Special Defense because slightly bulky. Marowak has 3 immunites when using the ability Lightning Rod and even though he doesn't take advantage of the Special Attack increase he loves to switch into electric type attacks that would otherwise hit Celesteela hard, he also has a fire type resistance and the bulk to switch into at least a few. Alola Marowak has two great STAB moves in Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone both hit extremely hard even against Pokemon that only take normal effective damage. I prefer Bonemerang to Earthquake because of the Grassy Terrain and it allows Marowak to hit through Subs and potientally Mimikyu also for overall coverage. I prefer using Sub on my Marowak because of the amount of Electric types that like to switch out of Marowak or the Pokemon stuck in Choice Item Moves. Even with Speed investment Marowak is only able to outspeed Pokemon that have a speed of 81 also Marowak is weak to several types of moves.

Celesteela is an incredibly nasty Pokemon to use against Pokemon who can't hit it super effectively or can't set up. Celesteela is the only non grass type Pokemon to have access to Leech Seed. A combination of Leech Seed and Leftovers heals 1/8 of your max HP, combined with SubProtect Celesteela becomes incredibly hard to kill when set up correctly also being Steel Type means the opponent will not have an effective way to stall out Celesteela and most use brute force. Leech Seed however cannot set up against grass type Pokemon but Celesteela does not care about this. Celesteela gain access to Fire Blast with decent base Special Attack to kill theses threats. Unless a grass type has Hidden Power Fire there is not much they can do to handle Celesteela. Fire Blast also let's Celesteela kills other Celesteela who try and set up on it. When paired up with Marowak, Celesteela has a ground immunity to help Marowak from being hit by one. Celesteela has no Weakness in common with Marowak and is bulky enough to switch with Marowak you suspect someone is going to use one of thouse type of Attacks.

Overall I have had great success with these two, predicting moves is however part of using this core. One false prediction could lead to one of them take a large amount of damage of being OHKO. One Pokemon who proves trouble for this pair is Chandelure being able to Shadow Ball OHKO Marowak or Fire Blast OHKO and with the ability infiltrator can hit behind ether of there Subs and normally outspeeds both so adding a Chandelure check is required when battling one Snorlax with Thickfat is my personnal favorite. Celesteela is extremely prone to Taunt and should be avoided in Battles where this is suspected. Again if a Pokemon is suspected of setting up prepare a Unaware Pokemon or have a way to quickly take care of this.

Hopefully this is considered a core if not let me know and I will delete it Smile.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Good Cores Thread: Sun/Moon Edition! (SINGLES) - by Kidakairis - Dec 6, 2016, 03:01 PM