Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[US/UM] Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Thoughts and my Opinion
(Jan 7, 2018, 03:11 PM)IrisNephertiri Wrote: I agree; I think the game was enjoyable and naturally, being a core Pokemon game, it has the potential for several hours of entertainment. It was the first Pokemon game that I bought entirely with my own hard-earned money. While I enjoyed the game and recommend it even more so for those who haven't played Sun, I found myself a bit disappointed. I think what cements its biggest weaknesses is its timing.

Critiques:
1. It was released following Pokemon Sun
- Pokemon Ultra Sun is clearly just as exciting if not more exciting than Pokemon Sun; the new plot climax and ability to surf through ultra space alone add a lot to the game. Meantime surf is also a fun and easy way to earn BP, and the abundant move tutors make competitive play and breeding easier.

- However, aside from a handful of new Pokemon in different areas, new mini-games, and dialogue changes, the first half of the game is largely the same as Pokemon Sun. Since I have already completed Sun and I am a long-time Pokemon fan, this made playing through heavy tutorials and cutscenes to get to the new material a bit tedious and redundant at times.

2. It was released amidst announcements of a new game for the Switch
- Given that a new, more advanced game for the Switch is on its way and was announced around the same time, Ultra Sun was probably at a disadvantage for hype long before its release.

3. It has an abundance of untapped potential that would have easily made it stand out
- This is probably my biggest critique. Ultra Sun focuses more heavily on ultra space than its predecessor and introduces the Ultramegalopolis. It fills in plot holes that players got a taste of by allowing them to not only see ultra space, but return to it freely and see a variety of dimensions.

- Even with that, it still felt like the plot was abruptly cutoff. Although the Ultramegalopolis was such an important part of the plot, a signifiacant focus in advertisement, and the only place totally exclusive to Ultra Sun/Moon, it ends up essentially being a dark empty hallway, even after the player saves it. I outline some of my ideas below that could have helped it reach its potential.

4. It is the last core game for the 3DS
- Given the reasons above (Minor changes from Sun, disadvantage for hype, lack of untapped potential) and the success of past game sequels (Emerald, Platinum, Black 2) it's not surprising that Ultra Sun/Moon left more players disappointed than usual, especially since in order to continue with the core series they will have to dish out at least $200-$300 more for a Switch if they don't have one already.

-----
Ideas for Ultramegalopolis: (Critique 3, Pt. 2)
1. Make the light return in the post-game and add in a few NPCs for continuity rather than just dialogue saying they are celebrating indoors
    (- The lack of continuity for this plot point felt how I imagine it would feel to get Rayquaza to calm Kyogre and Groudon during the climax in
        Emerald and then never getting to return to Sootopolis again to see that it's back to normal; the continuity (seeing the before and after of ending
        a catastrophe) make it feel more real and ultimately more memorable)
2. Remove the road blocks and make it slightly bigger, so it feels a bit more like a bustling city, as the name suggests
3. Add a small shop and/or Pokemon Center with ultra space items like beast balls
4. Add a patch of grass with native ultra beasts, even just poipole
5. Instead of putting the Battle Agency in festival plaza, which is naturally outshined by Emerald and Platinum since it has been done before, put it in the Ultramegalopolis and let players battle with rental ultra beasts

Other general ultra space ideas: (Would be interesting, but not necessary for a good plot)
1. Make it possible to interact with the characters alluded to be lost in ultra space (by the bottled letters), maybe even take them back to Alola with you

Given time, budget, staff, and space limits, implementing all of these ideas likely was not possible, and that is understandable. But, even just number one and/or two would have made the story feel more complete. Since RR episode is a one time thing and 1-3 hours tops, I think the concepts above would have been a great substitute for it. The lack of development of key plot points made the game feel more rushed, and capitalizing on the unique features it offers rather than things that have already been done more elaborately in other games would have turned it from good to truly phenomenal in my opinion.

This is honestly one of the best critiques of the game I've seen yet, personally I didn't mind the cutscenes too much, but UM could have been expanded for sure
OU MASTER RACE

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Thoughts and my Opinion - by Kris - Jan 7, 2018, 06:40 PM