Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[IMPORTANT] The November Meet & Greet - The Time to Entreat!
(Nov 21, 2018, 03:25 PM)DrumminBeard Wrote: With that, I'd like to request that you respond to my own questions (above), if you'd be willing Hikikomari. No pressure though, of course. It's all in good fun.  

Sounds like fun, I'd love to! I thought I'd just start with the initial questions since I was never tagged by anyone until now.

1. What method(s) did you originally use to find people to play Pokemon with?

Since I started playing Pokémon when I was in elementary school and played it all the time at school, I would usually ask new kids I liked if they played or knew anything about Pokémon. It was one of those things I never hid and people knew me as "The Pokémon kid" as silly as that sounds to say now.
Though, when my friends left the school where I was at and I couldn't make friends there, I had started to become more active in chat rooms online, and started a social network through that. I'd started to get to know one person who played, who knew people who played, who knew people who played and I eventually found myself in one chat room I really enjoyed.
While I started to make friends online through the game, I was playing the Trading Card Game in person and met people to play with through that. One person eventually invited me to a forum which is where I've spent most of my time before finding this forum and I've settled in.

In short, I met people in school or through the Trading Card Game, which led me to start meeting people online when those didn't work out.

2. How long did it take for you to transition from treating the games as single-player JRPGs to multi-player competitive battle strategy games?

It took a while, but part of that was more understanding the games fully as single-player games first. I basically had people hold my hand through learning terminology through my first couple years. I was totally a kid who went "Why is everyone saying Stealth Rock is good? It's terrible, it doesn't even do damage!" through part of that.
I didn't start really considering it as a competitive experience until my second year of high school where I started to play a lot of Showdown online, since the person I was dating at the time would also do that, and we would build teams and they would teach me what made things on a tier list good. That was just after Sun and Moon came out, so it took a good 3 years for me to fully understand the games in single-player, and about 8 for me to understand multiplayer to the point I do right now. (Which is not very well.)

3. When you build your teams, how much emphasis do you put on whether or not each Pokemon appeals to you personally?

While I do keep myself open and remember that I can start to like a Pokémon I didn't like before as I start using it on a team, (since the Trading Card Game taught me that a lot) I usually just tend to stick to old favourites, or my opinions of Pokémon will change over time. Usually if I'm using a Pokémon I don't like from the start, it's because someone really convinced me to try it, I'm trying out something new I've never used before, or because my opinion of it is changing and I'm starting to appreciate it.
0kamii earlier answered with a percentage and I think that's a good way to give a concise answer to this question. So I'll say 75%.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The November Meet & Greet - The Time to Entreat! - by Hikikomari - Nov 21, 2018, 05:35 PM