Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[IMPORTANT] December Meet and Greet - It's Snow Minor Feat
Q: Smash Ultimate is the newest game title with Pokémon out on the Switch right now.  What are your thoughts about the new game?

A: I also don't have a Switch yet; but if I did, I would consider getting this game. It's being hyped as the definitive Smash Bros. game, which does appeal to me as a fan of the Gamecube version from back in the day. I'm sure it'll be great fun!

Q: Since we won't be expecting a mainstream Pokémon game for a while, thanks to the release of the Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee: what games will you be playing in the meantime?

A: I have just reached the Elite 4 in my first run-through of Pokémon White; so I've got that to do, and whatever post-game stuff I want to get into. I also have a copy of Pokémon Black 2 that I plan to play soon after I finish with White. It will also be my first play-through of that game. After that, I still have a virgin Omega Ruby cartridge I bought months ago. In all: I'll be quite busy for some time, with my hobby of catching up on missed decades of Pokémon. Smile

On the side, I recently got into playing some Super Mario Bros. Wii with my wife. We really suck at it though, so I'm not sure how committed we are to finishing it. She's been on a Mario kick lately, because of all the Mario-game-related YouTube videos we watch. Maybe we'll get into some Odyssey or Galaxy or something, too.

Q: Seeing as the New Year is coming around the corner, what are some resolutions that you want follow when 2019 hits?

A: Obligatory "I don't do resolutions." Arbitrary goal-posts for self-improvement aren't really my bag. That said, I definitely have some bad habits I could stand to lose. :-p

As for my 2019 plans, though: My band is gonna start playing shows again; after a long hiatus, spent catching up a new member on our catalogue. As mentioned above, I have quite a bit of Pokémon to play. In fact, I plan to actually make the jump into competitive play for the first time; in whatever form that ends up taking. I doubt I'll be attending sanctioned tournaments or anything; but if I fail to get into breeding, EV training, team-building, play-testing on Showdown!, etc. by 2020, I'll be pretty disappointed in myself.

Q: Since it is getting to be the colder months in the US, what is your favorite Ice-type Pokémon?

A: Excellent question! I don't often consider Ice types; but now that you mention it, my answer has to be Jynx!! I know this opinion is not shared by many other Trainers, but every Pokémon is someone's favorite, right?  I honestly like her design, her Ice/Psychic typing, her cry, her name, her origin backstory; all of it.

I am very disappointed about how... just *bad* she is as a Pokémon, though. Then there's the 'black-face' outrage about the original design; despite its true origins as a yama-uba. I used one recently in my playthrough of X, and she made it all the way through for me; but she was very underwhelming, for sure. Even so: she remains my favorite ice type, and I will wait expectantly for GameFreak/TPC to redeem this wonderful creature in time.

EDITED TO ADD:

Now that it's my turn to tag peeps and ask a question or 3, in the hopes of drumming up some activity on this board: let's do a tiny roll call!

@PokemonRules
@Dova
@FireTaco
@Hikikomari
@Tydone
@Stephaniemax
@Houndoteon
@mkoch99

I have a question for you:

In the last decade, The Pokémon Company has at times dabbled in exploring some... more 'mature' themes... in their mainseries plots (Giovanni's abandonment of his son Silver in Heart Gold/Soul Silver, Ghetsis' life-long manipulation of N in Black/White, allusions to Lusamine's outright abuse of her children in Sun/Moon); whilst other times either avoiding them entirely (X/Y, Let's GO Pikachu/Eevee), or whitewashing existing canon (Ultra Sun/Moon). Do you look forward to more of this type of 'mature' theme in future mainseries games? Why, or why not?

Personally, I do. After playing through Pokémon Blue and Pokémon Gold on the Virtual Console in 2017, I went straight to Ultra Sun; having only played Red/Blue previously. I was hyped to find that TPC were willing to allude to Lusamine's child abuse; even if it wasn't spelled out. I thought it was great that they're willing to take the step of pointing out that not everything is sunshine and rainbows in the world of Pokémon.

Of course, later I found out about the more blatant abuse scenes in Sun/Moon; followed by other examples as I read up on Pokémon history, and played through more of the games. But the more I think about the series as a whole, I feel that there is still room for improvement in this area, and that it would only add a richness to the drama of these games to include more of this type of detail in the future.

Messages In This Thread
RE: December Meet and Greet - It's Snow Minor Feat - by DrumminBeard - Dec 12, 2018, 04:55 PM