Share:    Facebook Facebook Reddit

[DISCUSSION] News from Pokemon Direct 6.5.2019
(Jun 5, 2019, 08:49 AM)Black Waterfall Wrote: You might want to skip the first 30 minutes of the video.

LOL. "Might?" Wink

I haven't really formed an opinion yet. I mean - I will for sure be buying both a Switch and one (if not both) of these games at some point - but... I'm not particularly hyped about it. Obviously this forum is pretty dead (considering the one reply you got to this major announcement), but elsewhere there is a lot of discussion going on about both the merits and potential failings of what we've seen.

On the plus side, we're getting a new Pokémon region, filled with brand-new never-before-seen critters to collect and befriend. The scope of it seems pretty epic; which the hardware can clearly support in a way that I think the various handheld consoles failed to do in previous generations. That's not to say that there was no 'epic' feel to any parts of previous games; but clearly this trailer was full of over-the-top visuals, and larger-than-life effects (no pun intended). The world seems like it'll be huge, compared to previous regions; where each loaded overworld map consisted of an area you could traverse in a couple of minutes at normal running speed, before the game had to load the next map. These are great features, for sure.

On the minus side, people are complaining about tons of things; both minor details and major game mechanics. Without going into an exhaustive list, they range from "What kind of %&#$in' name is 'HOP?'" to "But why can't we have a multi-region open-world Breath of the Wild style MMO game, Game Freak?!?!?!?"

Anyway, I have some negative thoughts that I won't share here, unless pressed; as this seems to be the kind of place that prefers to dwell on the 'positive' aspects of the franchise. Further, there is SO MUCH we don't yet know about these games, that I prefer to reserve judgment until I've actually played the things, to see for myself what the final product (which most likely isn't quite yet fully ready for market, anyway) has in store for us.

@Black Waterfall: What are your thoughts on things? It's nice of you to start this topic and invite discussion, but I'm curious to hear if you have any opinions about what you've seen. Besides, it's pretty hard to drum up a discussion if only one party does most of the talking. Wink

Messages In This Thread
RE: News from Pokemon Direct 6.5.2019 - by DrumminBeard - Jun 6, 2019, 02:25 PM